Ask Kathleen Ortiz! Ask the Agent Summer Spree!

Status
Not open for further replies.

KOrtizzle

Ask the Agent
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Waiting three months....for notes on your MS? AFTER signing? I'm sure there are excruciating circumstances and I can't speak for that agent. I'll just leave it at that... :)

~K

KO,
So I guess waiting for three months would make my agent kind of on the slow side. (And guess what, it's a YA romance from the male POV--and the first time he read it he said he loved loved loved it).

KOrtizzle

Ask the Agent
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I just realized my links in the signature were all messed up. Fixed now :)

Monlette

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
Waiting three months....for notes on your MS? AFTER signing? I'm sure there are excruciating circumstances and I can't speak for that agent. I'll just leave it at that... :)

~K

What would be a less *ahem* excruciated timeframe for a signed client? ;)

tinapickles

::Head against desk::
Registered
Reaction score
Hi Kathleen--it's wonderful that you have offered your services here on Absolute Write! Its much appreciated.

Here's my question.

I have a story underway--its still in the very rough stages--and am starting to suspect what I thought was originally an "adult" story, might actually be a YA story. Which is cool with me, it just means I will revise accordingly. WHICH is why I'm interested in knowing is where is the line drawn in terms of YA vs. adult content? My story, currently, has a bit of violence (gun fights, a riot), a bit of sex (some of the characters are prostitutes), and a bit of foul language INCLUDING the use of the word "pussy" in reference to an offer of sex (a pimp making an offer of one of his girls services). There are racists remarks and actions as well (tho I suspect this isn't as big a problem these days?).

Thank you for your time!

x_Kathy_x

Me fail English? That’s unpossible.
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome Kathleen! :D

I am working on a male POV YA fantasy romance -- Yeey! :)

Does Australian slang turn American agents off a manuscript, even if the story is set in Australia? I am trying to decide how much to include/cut. Cheers!

HistorySleuth

Researching History's Mysteries
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gahwny.org
Greetings Kathleen and :welcome:

I've looked at different agent sites and I am wondering if anyone is interested in non-fiction Native American Issues any more? I see your agency does non-fiction too so I hoped you would have the skinny on that.

I wrote a weekly column in a Native American newspaper for 2 1/2 years (now out of print) based out of the Mohawk Reservation. I did two long series of articles on treaties and land title from a different perspective. Since I still get a lot of requests for the info I thought I would compile (and expand) it in book form.

I pick apart the treaties as land contracts, since 90% are about land. Plus people don't know there are deeds, which would make a difference in land claim cases. I analyze it like a persons property, and point out when viewed under standard land transfer rules could the Six Nations foreclose on the State of New York for non-payment? (Among other things.)

So do you think that is too much of a niche for an agent or publisher to be interested in?
Would it be a problem if the majority of it was already printed in a newspaper? (They're very good friends of mine if it required any kind of release. They want me to do it actually.)

Thanks for being here and any insight you can provide.

Last edited:

dgaughran

Banned
Reaction score
Website
davidgaughran.wordpress.com
Revisions before submitting requested full MS

Hi Kathleen,

I have a question about procedure/etiquette.

I sent a requested full to an agent a few months back, and then nudged a couple of weeks ago. Since the nudge, I got a couple of rejections on fulls that had been out for a while. The feedback was consistent with what needed to be changed, and I agreed. I started the edits straight away, and they should take another 4 to 6 weeks.

Today I received a response on the one outstanding full I had out, the one I sent the nudge on two weeks ago. They have misplaced my manuscript, and asked me to email again for prompt review.

I don't want to send what I now know is a flawed manuscript. Is it okay to tell an agent that you are working through some new revisions and will send the full in six weeks? How should I handle this situation?

Thanks

Dave

Aubie

Live and let live
Registered
Reaction score
Hi Kathleen,

In your opinion, if a query was sent that didn't follow your submission guidelines (banging my head against the wall) would you reply to the author and ask them to requery the proper way (with sample pages pasted in), or would it be an automatic R? I got an e-mail back from an agent's reader today asking that I submit properly. I'm hoping that meant she liked the query, but maybe she was just taking pity on my speed reading forgets to look at details sometimes idiot self.

Thanks!

Bella D'Ball

Registered
Reaction score
Hello and Welcome!
Is it ill advised to query as a first time writer for a literary fiction novel that is not complete?

Also, I have been querying for over two years and have not had much interest in a chick lit I wrote. I have posted and polished with the help of absolute write's members my query and sample chapters. Could it be that chick lit is a dying genre, or is it that what I've written could just be not that original enough?
Thank you so much!

Kmarshall

Registered
Reaction score
Response times for a full

Hi Kathleen,

Thanks so much for volunteering! I posted this question in the general discussion but thought it best to 'ask the agent' :)

A major publisher asked me for a full in January '10. I was wondering, since I haven't heard and know it will take time, just how long is appropriate before I send a polite follow up?

Fortunately, I have a full in with an agency too--figured I should be ready :)

Thank you
Kmarshall

Last edited:

KOrtizzle

Ask the Agent
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
There's no defining line.

For instance, have you read HUNGER GAMES by Suzanne Collins? Dozens of teens, placed in a 'unique' arena and told to fight to the death. Neck snapping, stabbing, killed by being stung to death - violent, no? Yet a NYT bestseller and quite a good read.

Bad language? Is it authentic in voice? Does it add or take away from the story? Is it there because it's supposed to be or is it dropped in just for the sake of being a curse word?

Teens will totally call you out if they think you're 'trying' to sound like a teen or trying to force morals and values on them. In the long run, it's all about voice and ensuring it's genuine to that audience.

Hi Kathleen--it's wonderful that you have offered your services here on Absolute Write! Its much appreciated.

Here's my question.

I have a story underway--its still in the very rough stages--and am starting to suspect what I thought was originally an "adult" story, might actually be a YA story. Which is cool with me, it just means I will revise accordingly. WHICH is why I'm interested in knowing is where is the line drawn in terms of YA vs. adult content? My story, currently, has a bit of violence (gun fights, a riot), a bit of sex (some of the characters are prostitutes), and a bit of foul language INCLUDING the use of the word "pussy" in reference to an offer of sex (a pimp making an offer of one of his girls services). There are racists remarks and actions as well (tho I suspect this isn't as big a problem these days?).

Thank you for your time!

KOrtizzle

Ask the Agent
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yay for male POV YA :hooray:

As for Australian slang, that's a tricky one. I took a class with one of Scholastic's acquiring editors for the first couple of HARRY POTTER books and she told us they actually had to go in and comb through every. single. phrase or word. of slang.

Why?

Because most American kids won't know what trainers are. American kids see "torch" and think of a stick with fire at the end - in the UK, it's slang for flashlight. "Got into a row" in the UK is "got into a fight." A middle grade kid would read that and go "Um, like a boat?"

Once the movies came out, it wasn't quite as necessary to replace as much slang, since US kids saw it played out on screen and understood that "do his nut" means to "go crazy" or that "he's mad" means "he's insane" as opposed to "he's pissed off."

I believe there were more than 200 words/slang phrases they replaced, yet they still were able to keep somewhat of an authentic British feel to the American version of the text.

So, in essence, I think it's good for you to find a way to keep the authentic feel while also keeping in mind who the target audience is. If the phrase or word is something that you KNOW will be taken out of context, find another way to say it.

Remember, when you're offered representation (yes, I like to be optimistic) you can always consult your agent as to whether or not you should add more slang.

~K

Welcome Kathleen! :D

I am working on a male POV YA fantasy romance -- Yeey! :)

Does Australian slang turn American agents off a manuscript, even if the story is set in Australia? I am trying to decide how much to include/cut. Cheers!

KOrtizzle

Ask the Agent
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
In regard to your Q re: niche market, it does sound like quite a niche market. I personally don't rep non-fiction, but I do help Barbara with slush and acquiring clients for her list. My best advice would be to see who has repped writers in this market and submit to them. I'm sorry I can't be of much more help.

Q re: majority printed in a newspaper - what's majority? 75%? 60%? 99%? You have to ask yourself this - why would someone buy your book if they can get the majority of the information for free?

We receive a lot of NF queries, and I'd say at least 90% are from people who have written articles or have a web site they want to turn into a book. But editors will definitely ask why they should publish and sell something people can get for free. So if you feel you can add enough information to make it stand out from just a series of articles, definitely go ahead with it. Otherwise, it might be a tough sell.

~K

Greetings Kathleen and :welcome:

I've looked at different agent sites and I am wondering if anyone is interested in non-fiction Native American Issues any more? I see your agency does non-fiction too so I hoped you would have the skinny on that.

I wrote a weekly column in a Native American newspaper for 2 1/2 years (now out of print) based out of the Mohawk Reservation. I did two long series of articles on treaties and land title from a different perspective. Since I still get a lot of requests for the info I thought I would compile (and expand) it in book form.

I pick apart the treaties as land contracts, since 90% are about land. Plus people don't know there are deeds, which would make a difference in land claim cases. I analyze it like a persons property, and point out when viewed under standard land transfer rules could the Six Nations foreclose on the State of New York for non-payment? (Among other things.)

So do you think that is too much of a niche for an agent or publisher to be interested in?
Would it be a problem if the majority of it was already printed in a newspaper? (They're very good friends of mine if it required any kind of release. They want me to do it actually.)

Thanks for being here and any insight you can provide.

KOrtizzle

Ask the Agent
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Each agency is different; however, I'm one for just being up front rather than setting yourself on a path for failure.

If someone was honest and up front and said they've received feedback recently that they feel will strengthen the manuscript, I would be ok with it. It's MUCH BETTER than just ignoring the e-mail and sending the MS weeks later.

Good luck!

~K

Hi Kathleen,

I have a question about procedure/etiquette.

I sent a requested full to an agent a few months back, and then nudged a couple of weeks ago. Since the nudge, I got a couple of rejections on fulls that had been out for a while. The feedback was consistent with what needed to be changed, and I agreed. I started the edits straight away, and they should take another 4 to 6 weeks.

Today I received a response on the one outstanding full I had out, the one I sent the nudge on two weeks ago. They have misplaced my manuscript, and asked me to email again for prompt review.

I don't want to send what I now know is a flawed manuscript. Is it okay to tell an agent that you are working through some new revisions and will send the full in six weeks? How should I handle this situation?

Thanks

Dave

KOrtizzle

Ask the Agent
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I used to reply to all queries that came through my inbox (instead of the form on our web site like they're supposed to) with a form reply: We do not accept unsolicited submissions via email, please check our web site.

Quite frankly, that gets old. Really fast. Especially when I get at least 20 a week.

So now, if someone doesn't use the form, I just delete it.

If you received an email asking you to submit properly, then definitely do it - but I wouldn't take it as a sign of they want to see your work. They probably didn't read the query at all, since you didn't follow sub guidelines.

~K

Hi Kathleen,

In your opinion, if a query was sent that didn't follow your submission guidelines (banging my head against the wall) would you reply to the author and ask them to requery the proper way (with sample pages pasted in), or would it be an automatic R? I got an e-mail back from an agent's reader today asking that I submit properly. I'm hoping that meant she liked the query, but maybe she was just taking pity on my speed reading forgets to look at details sometimes idiot self.

Thanks!

KOrtizzle

Ask the Agent
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Never query a fiction manuscript that is not completed and polished.

Never.

:rant:<--This is what the agent will look like when they discover they requested to see said MS and it's not completed and polished.

:Soapbox:<--This is me saying again, Do. Not. Ever. Query. A. Fiction. Manuscript. That. Is. Not. Completed. Or. Polished.

:)

As for the chick lit, some say it's dying out, others still sell it. However it may the topic. I don't know because I haven't read it. Perhaps it's the MS that needs to see the drawer while you work on a new one? :)

~K

Hello and Welcome!
Is it ill advised to query as a first time writer for a literary fiction novel that is not complete?

Also, I have been querying for over two years and have not had much interest in a chick lit I wrote. I have posted and polished with the help of absolute write's members my query and sample chapters. Could it be that chick lit is a dying genre, or is it that what I've written could just be not that original enough?
Thank you so much!

KOrtizzle

Ask the Agent
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hello!

Did they request it from the slush pile? Did the editor say how long it would take for them to get back to you?

Very few 'major' publishers take unsolicited submissions, so kudos to you. I'd say after 6 months it's safe to follow up.

But in the meantime, you can send me a query :D

~K

Hi Kathleen,

Thanks so much for volunteering! I posted this question in the general discussion but thought it best to 'ask the agent' :)

A major publisher asked me for a full in January '10. I was wondering, since I haven't heard and know it will take time, just how long is appropriate before I send a polite follow up?

Fortunately, I have a full in with an agency too--figured I should be ready :)

Thank you
Kmarshall

Last edited:

HistorySleuth

Researching History's Mysteries
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gahwny.org
I

Q re: majority printed in a newspaper - what's majority? 75%? 60%? 99%? You have to ask yourself this - why would someone buy your book if they can get the majority of the information for free?

~K
The newspaper went out of print in 2006, plus never digitized or microfilmed. Their readership at that time was about 1000.

I thank you :e2flowersso much for answering and giving me some things to think about. You're really great for taking time to do this at AW.

Kmarshall

Registered
Reaction score
A Full

Hello!

Thanks for the reply!

It was unsolicited...sort of. I met them at BEA and out of the blue asked if I could submit. They said sure, send the first chapter. I did, and then they asked for the full.

But in the meantime, you can send me a query :D

Would be happy to. It's a contemporary fantasy. Is your email here? What are your guidelines, and what would like for sample chapters?

It hasn't been six months yet either. The silence is tough :)

Mr Flibble

They've been very bad, Mr Flibble
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the m
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
Quick question (because it's bugging me!)

My query highlights one character, yet the novel starts with another ( I have alternating POVs, both each others antag till the end of act 2)

So when they ask for the first five pages (POV mentioned in query starts on page six! though he is mentioned in the first 5 pages), is this a problem?

Or is it really just the writing? (keeping my fingers crossed on that cos I keep getting 'I love your writing but...')

PS: great that you're taking over and helping us out. It's always nice to see the other side. Makes it all seem less, well, impersonal. Obviously it' a business, but the hint that there are real people on the other side really helps!

Last edited:

[email protected]

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.toryminus.blogspot.com
Hi, KOrtizzle! Thank you so much for taking time away from your busy schedule to answer our questions. I've got a quick one regarding response times to query letters: If you come across a query letter that peaks your interest, how soon do you respond?

Can you provide an example?

Thanks again! TMinus

Drachen Jager

Professor of applied misanthropy
Registered
Reaction score
I'm in a similar situation. Only I haven't been told my manuscript was lost.

Is it acceptable, under any circumstances, to re-submit a manuscript after it's been sitting with an agent for several months. I feel that, incorporating the feedback I've had, the new version is so much better than the one that did the rounds three months ago.

Each agency is different; however, I'm one for just being up front rather than setting yourself on a path for failure.

If someone was honest and up front and said they've received feedback recently that they feel will strengthen the manuscript, I would be ok with it. It's MUCH BETTER than just ignoring the e-mail and sending the MS weeks later.

Good luck!

~K

Sandy Shin

procrastinating, clearly
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sandyshin.com
The trick is to see if your manuscript answers two main questions:

1. Does it really take place in a dystopian society? (Don't know? Check out this FABULOUS post I found on Presenting Lenore's Blog.

2. Does the world itself affect the plot.

If not, then you can just classify it as straight fantasy. I find that it's easiest to classify your works when you're well read in several genres. The more dystopian, fantasies, paranormals, etc you read, the easier it will be for you to classify your own work.

~K

Thank you so much for your answer! It is very much helpful! :)

dgaughran

Banned
Reaction score
Website
davidgaughran.wordpress.com

Good luck!

~K

Thanks Kathleen, I did just that and the agent was fine.

Dave

x_Kathy_x

Me fail English? That’s unpossible.
Registered
Reaction score
Because most American kids won't know what trainers are. American kids see "torch" and think of a stick with fire at the end - in the UK, it's slang for flashlight. "Got into a row" in the UK is "got into a fight." A middle grade kid would read that and go "Um, like a boat?"
Thanks for the speedy reply! :) Very interesting points!
I do try and cut slang to the bare minimum, but sometimes I don't know that it *is* slang. LOL. Psssst... I didn't realise that a "torch" wasn't a "flashlight" in the US! *jaw drop*

Status
Not open for further replies.