Rejectomancy

J.W. Alden

The King Who Bore the Sword
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.twitter.com
Got my first rejection from Nature, 45 days. Anyone know if "I really enjoyed the story" and "very much like to encourage you to continue submitting" is a part of their form? *crossed fingers*

Oh well. Goodbye, October; you weren't as enjoyable as September. On to November, in which I celebrate my one year anniversary of writing short fiction and cheat at NaNoWriMo by writing shorts instead of a novel. May you bring only good tidings before the world ends in December.

*raises glass*

akaSylvia

Doesn't Bite
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.intrigue.co.uk
Got my first rejection from Nature, 45 days. Anyone know if "I really enjoyed the story" and "very much like to encourage you to continue submitting" is a part of their form? *crossed fingers*

I was rejected by them fairly recently and neither of those statements was in the form.

Well done!

Eliza C

We’ll see what happens from here…
Registered
Reaction score
I was rejected by them fairly recently and neither of those statements was in the form.

Interesting - in Sept, I sent in my first sub and received "Although I enjoyed it," and "I very much hope that I will have the pleasure of seeing further submissions from you." and wasn't sure if it was form. I wonder if he actually composes each response individually? It would be surprising, but nice.

J.W. Alden

The King Who Bore the Sword
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.twitter.com

Well done!

Interesting - in Sept, I sent in my first sub and received "Although I enjoyed it," and "I very much hope that I will have the pleasure of seeing further submissions from you." and wasn't sure if it was form. I wonder if he actually composes each response individually? It would be surprising, but nice.

Interesting, indeed. Thanks for the insight, you two. We're putting the divination back into rejectomancy. ;)

Sai

Book lover/Spy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kuri-ousity.com
Rejection from Daily Science Fiction, but I've subbed the story to Clockwork Phoenix this morning. It looks like an interesting anthology, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Marzioli

Could be worse!
Registered
Reaction score
I got a new kind of form from Lore, no doubt by an associate editor. Given Mr. Rod Heather's penchant for complimentary lower level forms, I have a strong feeling this is one too. So 125 days to Mr. David Hill's:

"Thank you for your submission, "*story*" for our consideration in LORE. Though I enjoyed your story, we are going to decline at this time. I look forward to further submissions from you in the future."

Almost exactly like Mr. Heather's, only slightly reworded. On the plus side, it feels nice and strange to have this piece back after all that time. Already resubmitted it.

Last edited:

Eliza C

Registered
Reaction score
1-day R from Clarkesworld. Expected, but always a bit of a sad beginning for a new story on its maiden voyage to the world.

V1c

Hmmmmm
Registered
Reaction score
1-day R from Clarkesworld. Expected, but always a bit of a sad beginning for a new story on its maiden voyage to the world.

It's seldom that I've had a story accepted right out of the gate. Congrats on taking that step!

missesdash

You can't sit with us!
Registered
Reaction score
Been lurking here for a while. First time submitting a short and so first rejection accordingly.

2 day personal R from NIGHTMARE.

Left me smiling for some reason.

Sai

Book lover/Spy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kuri-ousity.com
Another double set of rejections, this time a 2-day from Nightmare and 1-day from Scape. I actually feel pretty good, as I sent them back out to markets that I think are a better fit for the stories anyway.

Eliza C

Registered
Reaction score
Right of passage Eliza, that's how you have to see it. Makes the story tough and ready for the hard slog ahead.

:) She's had her first knocks and is ready to go again.
Meanwhile - 34-day R from IGMS

Eliza C

Registered
Reaction score
And another one today -- 13-day R from Interzone.

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hmm. Recent flood of responses at Interzone got me to query them at 55 days.

2nd round very nice personal R at Waylines. Need to find something else to send them soon.

Round 2 bump at Drabblecast. Grabbing a Snickers bar for a LONG wait. Good thing it's a reprint :)

Eliza C

Registered
Reaction score
3rd rejection today - this one from Untied Shoelaces.

zanzjan

killin' all teh werds
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
VPX
VPXI
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome, missesdash, and congrats on your first R. When you get to 50, you're allowed to throw yourself a party, just in case no-one's mentioned that yet. :)

Sorry about the Rs everyone; stinks when you get a bunch dropped on you in one day.

Only reason I'm not drowning in them is that I've been very bad about subbing things this year, which is probably a result of me being very bad about writing things this year. But I've got two crickets out there, one nowhere near expiration, the other way over, so who knows when the next R will hit.