Status
Not open for further replies.

10trackers

Pollyanna, Shedder of Casual Blood
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hi guys,

Disclaimer: this is a strange request for this forum, but I was pointed this way by a mod :)

I have a locket that has two small spaces for pictures, oval-shaped. One of my dogs died very suddenly recently, and I want her picture in one of the spaces. The other space is reserved for my other dog, who is (miraculously enough) still with me, but not much longer, as he's terminally ill.

However, the pictures that have suitable contrast are too close-cropped and will have ears and parts of heads cut off once cropped into an oval shape. What I need to do, is extend the background (cloudy sky in this case) further up and to the side, so that the pictures can be cropped and their heads will be center stage.

I just have no idea how to go about that. This is a picture of the locket:

413N9k6tUPL_SY300__zpsc197b3bc.jpg

One of the spaces inside is a tiny bit larger than the other, but both have the same shape.

These are the pictures I need to extend up and to the side (made smaller, with less resolution, for AW):

anyankaforawface.jpg

timberforawface.jpg

I would be really grateful for any kind of advice or help. Thank you!

chompers

Registered
Reaction score
I don't have much experience with Photoshop, so I'll just tell you a way you can do it with Paint, although Paint is a lot more simple in its abilities.

I've done this before, so it's doable, although it may take some fudging and time.

I think you can get away without having to extend the sides, just the sky. Copy the a horizontal strip of the sky and paste it above. Repeat until you have enough sky. The tricky part is usually there is a gradation that's more noticeable once you paste the new part in. The sky in your picture looks pretty uniform, so hopefully you won't have to fix it. But if there is a noticeable color difference between where the original and new sky meet, you will need to copy and paste smaller strips so that you get a slower transition between the old and new skies.

I hope this makes sense. Good luck! And sorry for your loss. :(

Last edited:

Gringa

Registered
Reaction score
If I am following this correctly, there is a tool called "clone" and you can clone the clouds. You might want to search how to use the clone tool. My instructions might not make sense.

(photoshop)

10trackers

Pollyanna, Shedder of Casual Blood
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, guys, I will try these :)

And thanks, Chompers. You made me tear up again, dammit!

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
Using Paint.NET... I copy/pasted a pic... then selected Image > Canvas Size and increased to 130% which gave me a border around the original pic, e.g.

I could then select and stretch the edge of the pic into the border region, or use Lasso Select to select any background area of the pic and paste/repeat this, e.g.

I cropped the image to remove the bottom canvas area since this was too difficult to stretch down (and wasn't needed).

Adding an oval frame, if wanted, is pretty simple too, just Oval Select (on a new layer is best), invert the selection, and fill with white paint.

And here is the big boy, same method, canvas size increase, stretch and mess around with the grassland (which I blurred a little), and an oval frame added just for the heck of.

Did I mention these thumbnails are clickable for bigger images...

-Derek

Last edited:

marinapr9

Digital Artist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
marinamitchell.deviantart.com
Hi guys,

Disclaimer: this is a strange request for this forum, but I was pointed this way by a mod :)

I have a locket that has two small spaces for pictures, oval-shaped. One of my dogs died very suddenly recently, and I want her picture in one of the spaces. The other space is reserved for my other dog, who is (miraculously enough) still with me, but not much longer, as he's terminally ill.

However, the pictures that have suitable contrast are too close-cropped and will have ears and parts of heads cut off once cropped into an oval shape. What I need to do, is extend the background (cloudy sky in this case) further up and to the side, so that the pictures can be cropped and their heads will be center stage.

I just have no idea how to go about that. This is a picture of the locket:

413N9k6tUPL_SY300__zpsc197b3bc.jpg

One of the spaces inside is a tiny bit larger than the other, but both have the same shape.

These are the pictures I need to extend up and to the side (made smaller, with less resolution, for AW):

anyankaforawface.jpg

timberforawface.jpg

I would be really grateful for any kind of advice or help. Thank you!

you need to use the Transform tool. That way you can expand or shrink your image to fit in whatever shape you desire.

Status
Not open for further replies.