The Great W1S1 Hey-Do-You-Know-About-This-Market Thread

faerydancer

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.brendastokes.com
Congrats, Alex! I have no idea about the name, but I think you're on the right track with UFO. Good luck with this! I'll have to see if I have anything funny. You know I usually do dark and moody ;)

defcon6000

Banned
Reaction score
Thank you. And I hope you still feel the same when we get this to Kickstarter later in the year :)
When do you plan on starting it up? And please tell me you're not going to put the cart before the horse (aka accept stories then get the money to pay for them).

And if we're interested in being a slushie reader, would we still be allowed to submit to the antho?

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
When do you plan on starting it up? And please tell me you're not going to put the cart before the horse (aka accept stories then get the money to pay for them).

And if we're interested in being a slushie reader, would we still be allowed to submit to the antho?

1) I will open submissions once we have cover art done, so I figure in about a month? Waiting to hear back from my first choice of artist.

2) I will pay *on acceptance* - I've set aside enough money to pay for all the stories, cover art, copy-editing, typesetting and a modest print run of physical books. I will use Kickstarter to try and offset these costs and pre-sell a bunch of books, but it's a go even if the Kickstarter campaign fails.

3) Slush readers may submit. All stories that make it past the first round will be read anonymously by several readers. Having said that, I will hold slush readers to an even higher standard than all other submissions. If a typical story has to be an "8" to get past the first round, an associate editor's story needs to be a "9" or a "10"

defcon6000

Banned
Reaction score
Ah, that's a relief. I've been seeing too many anthologies lately that go around accepting stories, without the pocket money to fund it beforehand. As great as Kickstarter is, I wouldn't put all my faith in solely supporting a project.

ETA: How many stories do you think will be in the antho? Or at least, an approximate length of the antho as a whole.

Lillie

practical experience, FTW
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Damn.

I got an acceptance from them not long ago.
Story hasn't been published.

Not sure where I stand with that, now.
I'll wait and see, I suppose.

I do hope that everything is OK with Mr Priddy, and that the unforeseen circumstances aren't something bad.

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Ah, that's a relief. I've been seeing too many anthologies lately that go around accepting stories, without the pocket money to fund it beforehand. As great as Kickstarter is, I wouldn't put all my faith in solely supporting a project.

ETA: How many stories do you think will be in the antho? Or at least, an approximate length of the antho as a whole.

Still working that out. Probably around 80,000 words with stories ranging from 500-4000 in length (I don't feel longer stories are quite as well-suited for humor).

I would love to cajole a couple of the big name authors to participate, too. Working that angle, but I'm not holding my breath.

defcon6000

Banned
Reaction score
New pro-paying horror anthology, Deep Cuts 111. There's one condition: you have to recommend a short horror story written by a woman, in honor of Women in Horror Month.

Looks like the same folks from Wily Writers since their guidelines are exactly the same.

soapdish

writing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
New pro-paying horror anthology, Deep Cuts 111. There's one condition: you have to recommend a short horror story written by a woman, in honor of Women in Horror Month.

Looks like the same folks from Wily Writers since their guidelines are exactly the same.
Oh, good. Someone else has seen this, too. I was just looking at it and thinking it sounded pretty good, but wasn't sure about who was behind it. I REALLY like the idea of the 150 word shout-out to another female horror writer. Especially because they are sort of encouraging you to not go with the old classics, but to honor someone new, or maybe forgotten about. In fact, if I get my act together, I may blog about this. :D

ETA: Also, just plugged it to the Women Horror Hounds. Not sure they follow this thread.

Last edited:

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

This is very cool. I wonder if I can get them to publish my recommendation even if they reject the story? :) (I don't have a great track record of selling to horror markets, OBH being one awesome exception).

Sai

Book lover/Spy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kuri-ousity.com

That looks really interesting. I can't wait until one of my horror stories is free so I can sub to them. Until then, I'll try and figure out which story I want to champion.

defcon6000

Banned
Reaction score
Oh, good. Someone else has seen this, too. I was just looking at it and thinking it sounded pretty good, but wasn't sure about who was behind it. I REALLY like the idea of the 150 word shout-out to another female horror writer. Especially because they are sort of encouraging you to not go with the old classics, but to honor someone new, or maybe forgotten about. In fact, if I get my act together, I may blog about this. :D

ETA: Also, just plugged it to the Women Horror Hounds. Not sure they follow this thread.
Yeah, it really is neat that the focus is on women horror writers that may have fallen in-between the cracks. I already have someone in mind to recommend. :)

Now, to write up a new horror story, or wait for one to free up...?

Marzioli

Could be worse!
Registered
Reaction score
Good luck with your venture, Alex! That's awesome!

And as a FYI to anyone else like me that didn't notice, Redstone is open again for subs. On a side note, I noticed they had a 200+ day acceptance there. Ouch on that wait. I subbed anyway.

defcon6000

Banned
Reaction score

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
Damn.

It says they pay in US currency, by cheque.

That counts me out :(
The editor of Plasma Frequency popped by my New Markets blog post on them today and said they're happy to arrange alternative payment if a check won't work. They've added this to their guidelines, as well.

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
New token paying antho: Forging Freedom (guidelines are down the page under 'Forging Freedom Anthology' heading), from Freedom Forge Press.

Brief analysis from me here.

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hey folks,

As some of you may know, I will be editing an anthology of SF/F humor titled "Unidentified Funny Objects." The official announcement will go out around June 15 and I expect to open for public submissions as of July 1st. However, I wanted to offer my W1S1 comrades an opportunity to submit early.

Below are the submission guidelines. Please send your subs to me at the: ufopublishing at gmail dot com e-mail address. And please mention your AW forum name, as this early submission window is exclusively for the AW W1S1 sub-forum regulars and specially invited authors.

LENGTH: 500-4000 words

PAYMENT: $0.05 per word + contributor copy. Payment will be made upon acceptance. Our preferred method of payment is via PayPal, but you may request a check.

FORMAT: Standard Manuscript Format or something close to it (I won't take points off if you prefer Courier to Times New Roman or some such). Do please format the subject line as following:

Submission: Story Title by Awesome Author

No reprints, multiple or simultaneous submissions please. I will respond to all subs within 30 days. If you don't hear by then please do query at the same e-mail address with the word QUERY in the title of the e-mail.

DEADLINE: No later than August 31, 2012.

RIGHTS SOUGHT: First Worldwide English Language rights. Exclusivity for 6 months from date of release. Non-exclusive rights to keep the anthology in print across different publishing platforms afterward.

ABOUT THE EDITOR: Alex Shvartsman is an Active member of SFWA and a member of Codex Writers. He edited gaming magazines “Mage” and “Hero Gamer” for Multi-Media International (mmimags.com) and was involved in purchasing content for a variety of other gaming-related projects.

WHAT WE ARE LOOKING FOR:

The idea behind this anthology was to create a pro-paying venue for light and humorous science fiction and fantasy. There are far too few speculative markets that buy and publish humor as compared to, say, dark fantasy.

I’d like to showcase a broad variety of speculative humor. I’ll consider stories ranging from absurdist to satire to dry wit. I’m partial to short fiction by Robert Sheckley, Fredric Brown, Robert Silverberg and Mike Resnick. Non-traditional narratives are welcome. Take chances, try something new, just make sure that your story is entertaining. Puns and stories that are little more than vehicles for delivering a punch line at the end aren’t likely to win me over.

---

There you go. If you have any questions, please ask either here or by e-mail.

defcon6000

Banned
Reaction score
That's very generous of you, Alex. :) Hope lots of AWers/W1S1ers sub to your antho. (I know I will. :D)

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Awesome, look forward to it.

Because the submission window is open to so few people thus far, I've managed to respond to everyone in well under 24 hours. Get in before the general subs open if you want a quick turnaround :)

Sai

Book lover/Spy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kuri-ousity.com
Awesome, look forward to it.

Because the submission window is open to so few people thus far, I've managed to respond to everyone in well under 24 hours. Get in before the general subs open if you want a quick turnaround :)

Thanks for doing this Alex! I have a piece I plan to send in, but it needs a lot of polishing first. Your anthology has given me the kick I needed to work on it again.

W.L. Marks

Registered
Reaction score
That's really cool, Alex! Good luck with your anthology. I don't think I have anything on hand that fits the theme myself, but I look forward to reading it one day. :)