The Great W1S1 Hey-Do-You-Know-About-This-Market Thread

ACFantasy

Registered
Reaction score
You don't happen to have a link available for that, do you please? It's just that I'd really like to submit something to this anthology and June would be so much more do-able... but when I re-checked the submission guidelines just now the date is unchanged. It's still listed as the end of January.

I really don't want to miss it and I'm wondering if I'm looking in the wrong place.

The editor of the anthology tweeted this. I don't have the link, but the tweet's from Jan. 2nd, IIRC.

ACFantasy

Registered
Reaction score
My queue position for the F&SF special issue has gone from 524 to 193 over the past two days, so I'd guess the rest of those will be finished in short order.

J.W. Alden

The King Who Bore the Sword
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.twitter.com
My queue position for the F&SF special issue has gone from 524 to 193 over the past two days, so I'd guess the rest of those will be finished in short order.

For what it's worth, I was at #127 when I got my R. Which may mean Mr. Finlay's "second read" pile is quite large. Or it may just mean that I am rejectomancing even long after being rejected, which means I HAVE A PROBLEM.

Kaitlin Brianna

Registered
Reaction score
For what it's worth, I was at #127 when I got my R. Which may mean Mr. Finlay's "second read" pile is quite large. Or it may just mean that I am rejectomancing even long after being rejected, which means I HAVE A PROBLEM.

I got my rejection when I was at #86.

Melinda Moore

Registered
Reaction score
I posted the picture for the new flash category in my Photo Flare contest. The winner of the flash story gets $10. The winner of the short story gets $50. Please check it out!

Aggy B.

Not as sweet as you think
Registered
Reaction score
Apocalypse Ink Productions is currently accepting queries for linked novella trilogies: SEE HERE

They offer a small advance + 50% royalties on net profit.
The novellas need to be between 20-25k words, dark spec-fic, and more or less contemporary.

No zombies, no far-future.

Deadline for queries is March 31st, 2014.

ACFantasy

Registered
Reaction score
Just got an email from Crossed Genres. Long story short--if you submitted something to them in December (theme was 'escape') and haven't received a response, don't worry; they're hoping to finish reading the submissions and sending out responses within the next 1-2 weeks.

Also, they just got a bunch of new slush readers. It's a bit sobering to think that one of my stories could be among the first that a brand new slush reader sees...

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
Also, they just got a bunch of new slush readers. It's a bit sobering to think that one of my stories could be among the first that a brand new slush reader sees...
Could be a good thing. They won't be at the 'jaded' stage yet, where everything looks a little bit the same. :D

Criada

Registered
Reaction score
I just emailed the editor of Fog Horn asking what was up. I filled out the form and hit submit before I realized I hadn't actually attached the story! At first, I thought I'd missed something. So now I'm wondering if the story counts as "submitted" in terms of simultaneous submissions, or if I should send it elsewhere while waiting to hear back from them.
At least one of them is a screenwriter, so I wonder if they're working on a different model for submissions. Sheesh! It's a 2500 word story, not a novel or a movie!

Project Deadlight

Registered
Reaction score
I just emailed the editor of F0g Horn asking what was up. I filled out the form and hit submit before I realized I hadn't actually attached the story! At first, I thought I'd missed something.

It's majorly weird, I agree. I can't get my head around it. I'm awaiting a 19 day "submission" that I have no idea what to expect from as all I sent was an email address and a pitch. What I don't get is why they want a link to "other" stuff you've written but not the story you've submitted?? Surely all that matters is that the story you send is good enough for them...

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
Welcome to W1S1, Criada! :welcome:

Yeah, that's a strange sub process, all right. It puts me off sending something there, actually.

fihr

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, that's a strange sub process, all right. It puts me off sending something there, actually.

Me too. It gave me the feeling they only want to publish people with lots of stuff in well-known markets, regardless of the story I might send them. Maybe they're looking for names that will help them promote themselves.

Thought I'd wait and see.

fihr

Registered
Reaction score
Just noticed an interesting note on The Grinder regarding Pu1p Liter@ture, which on reading their website I had thought paid 0.07 cents per word.

IMPORTANT NOTE: The non-paying status of this market's listing is not a mistake. We mark payment level based on the minimum rate a writer can expect to be paid at. While PULP's guidelines might appear to suggest 7 cents per word, they actually say "up to 7 cents/word", which promises no minimum. In addition to this the PULP contract states that writers will only be paid if the magazine makes some minimum sales figures. So, by the best information we have available, this is a non-paying market because they do not promise to pay.

This isn't noted on Duotrope. I'm impressed the folk at the Grinder took the trouble to put the note there.

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not sure if the folks behind PULP are trying to pull something or merely phased their guidelines poorly. I submitted a reprint and intend on reading the contract very carefully if it is accepted.

Now, I don't expect 7cpw for a reprint, but unless there's fair payment involved, I simply won't sign the contract. But I do hope they'll clarify their payment structure in the guidelines, following this.

Hanson

Registered
Reaction score
I'm not sure if the folks behind PULP are trying to pull something or merely phased their guidelines poorly. I submitted a reprint and intend on reading the contract very carefully if it is accepted.

Now, I don't expect 7cpw for a reprint, but unless there's fair payment involved, I simply won't sign the contract. But I do hope they'll clarify their payment structure in the guidelines, following this.
albedo1 pay .6 of a cent per word. that's less than a cent, per word.

yet, it's a sought after mkt.

so essentially, it's survived long enough to gain credibility.

we live in wondrous times.

Batspan

My Religion is kindness -Dalai Lama
Registered
Reaction score
Website
bathughes.wordpress.com
I haven't submitted to F0ghorn, yet while their practice is unusual, it
doesn't necessarily mean a sub won't have a fair chance. I have one sub out to a market that prescreens. It seemed odd to apply to submit, yet the process and response were quick. BTW, I'm not exactly rolling in credits, although I do have interlinked social networking-websites-profiles, and I've noticed publishers and markets wanting to know a writer's promotional reach.

ETA: Just got an acceptance from Specklit, the one I had to apply to submit to.

Fihr -- Yeah, the guys at the Grinder tend to be up on things and have the writer's interests at heart. "Up to x cents" suggests to me they are likely to offer less. If they won't pay at all unless they reach a certain sales figure -- at least they're being up front, yet that isn't encouraging.

I checked out Resurrection House due to their antho call and found this from SFWA: http://www.sfwa.org/2013/09/new-publisher-resurrection-house/

Last edited:

ACFantasy

Registered
Reaction score
Angela Benedetti has put up her monthly list of anthology calls for submissions. 6 anthologies listed this month, with deadlines ranging from March 31st to April 30, plus one 'until filled'.

(Note that the "Start a Revolution" anthology has the additional requirement that 90% of their content must be authored by Canadians.)

I'm definitely going to try to submit to some of those... particularly UFO3. I have just the story in mind. :)

Last edited:

Hanson

Registered
Reaction score
Re Nature (futures) the policy is 'if you haven't heard by two weeks, assume rejection.

Now, it's only one week, but does anyone know the response times for acceptance, or any info re same? or similar? or so on? and so forth?

Aislinn

Head down
Registered
Reaction score
Re Nature (futures) the policy is 'if you haven't heard by two weeks, assume rejection.

Now, it's only one week, but does anyone know the response times for acceptance, or any info re same? or similar? or so on? and so forth?

Why not take a look at the Grinder stats:

Nature Futures

That seems to suggest you might still have quite a good chance after 2 weeks. Speaking for myself, I've had a couple of polite personal rejections the longest of which took 25 days.

Brandon M Johnson

hard at work
Registered
Reaction score

I didn't know that was the policy and I can't find that line on the site. Where did you see it?

Personally, I've had a 41-day personal and an 85-day form from them. That's a small sample size, though. On the plus side, members of the Grinder do seem to be having some success there (23% acceptance), though I wonder if our fellow AW member Alex Shvartsman hasn't inflated those numbers a bit...:)

@ACFantasy: nice link.