Are you worried about Noveling in this Digital Age?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hapax Legomenon

Registered
Reaction score
I'm more worried about someone here using 'noveling' as a verb.

When I first read the thread I thought it meant the entire process of creating a novel rather than simply writing a novel. If self-publishers want to call the entire process of writing, editing, creating a cover, formatting, publishing, and uploading "noveling," well that's a novel (har har) way to put it that makes some sense. However this opens up the construction "short storying" which makes me gag so I am not sure.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
I'm not sure I mind "Noveling". Instead of saying I'm going to write tomorrow, I'll tell friends I can't go with them because I'll be noveling.
My guess is they'll be afraid to ask what that means, and they'll leave me alone for the day.

Kylabelle

unaccounted for
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
:Hug2:
I used to get really wound up about people verbing nouns, until I noticed Shakespeare did it. I figure anything Shakespeare successfully used, I won't worry about other people using (even though few can pull it off as well). This decision has saved me a lot of self-inflicted hair-pulling, because most acrobatics one can pull with English, Shakespeare already did. The mystical improving dangling modifier is probably in his complete works somewhere. :D

I still await an example, but thank you for remembering this unproductive quest. :D

...er, gerund... and I suspect, somewhat creative, if not sufficiently awkward...

Bingo.

noranne

the possibilities are endless
Registered
Reaction score
Website
nora-bailey.com
Noveling may not be technically correct in our current dictionary, but I don't think it's a far stretch from "novelist" (ie, one who novels).

DreamWeaver

Shakespearean Fool
Registered
Reaction score
The language is ever evolving, but words are actually falling out of use faster than new ones are being added these days. The loss of words bothers me more than people taking a noun and creating an impromptu gerund that may or may not catch on.
If it makes you feel any better (it made me feel marvelous, because I've never heard anyone do it before), one of the Formula 1 auto racing commentators actually used "multitudinous" in a normal sentence during Russian Grand Prix practice this morning. It made my day! (Multitudinous has been one of my favorite words ever since I first read it in The Scottish Play :D).

Helix

socially distancing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
snailseyeview.medium.com
Noveling may not be technically correct in our current dictionary, but I don't think it's a far stretch from "novelist" (ie, one who novels).

Odds against you?
Need a book?
Call The Noveliser.

...cue typewriters
...and Edward Woodward with a pen

(I might need more coffee)

WeaselFire

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It got me thinking... In an age of digital and you tube videos... do you think that being a Novelists is still a viable path for let's say a fresh faced College graduate?
Being a novelist has never been a viable path for anyone. It's a passion more than a career and, if you don't have the passion, the career cannot be viable. Your odds of supporting yourself, especially with a family, are extremely low as a novelist. No matter how good you are.

That said, the world needs storytellers. Always has. Always will. The medium changes, the story goes on.

Jeff

aliceshortcake

Wilde about Oscar
Registered
Reaction score
If it makes you feel any better (it made me feel marvelous, because I've never heard anyone do it before), one of the Formula 1 auto racing commentators actually used "multitudinous" in a normal sentence during Russian Grand Prix practice this morning. It made my day! (Multitudinous has been one of my favorite words ever since I first read it in The Scottish Play :D).

*Stands up and cheers*

All we need now is for someone to use the word "honorificabilitudinitatibus" at an awards ceremony.

thethinker42

Abnormal Romance Author
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gallagherwitt.com
Being a novelist has never been a viable path for anyone. It's a passion more than a career and, if you don't have the passion, the career cannot be viable. Your odds of supporting yourself, especially with a family, are extremely low as a novelist. No matter how good you are.

That said, the world needs storytellers. Always has. Always will. The medium changes, the story goes on.

Jeff

Except it IS a viable career path. It's always been a tough business, but especially now, it's absolutely possible to make a living. It doesn't happen overnight, and it's a ton of work, but a viable career path? I'd go so far as to say it's more viable now than it's ever been.

brainstorm77

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not worried at all. I still work a day job because the pay and benefits are pretty darned good, but my writing brings in a nice second income :)

Ken

Banned
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
I think it is only getting tougher.

Hope so, if it'll reduce the number of books making it onto the shelves. Lots don't belong there to begin with. Sheer drivel, fit for the scrap heap. A real labor to unearth the good stuff.

thepicpic

May or may not be a potato.
Registered
Reaction score
Hope so, if it'll reduce the number of books making it onto the shelves. Lots don't belong there to begin with. Sheer drivel, fit for the scrap heap. A real labor to unearth the good stuff.

Speaking as someone querying his first manuscript around, you'll understand if I don't fully support this sentiment.

Ken

Banned
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
Speaking as someone querying his first manuscript around, you'll understand if I don't fully support this sentiment.

Some first manuscripts are brilliant. Take Frankenstein which was Shelley's first. Sure yours up to par. G'luck.

Kylabelle

unaccounted for
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

Ken, if thepicpic here had not already quoted this I'd remove it. RYFW.

Quite.

RedWombat

Runs With Scissors
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ursulavernon.com
It has always been hard to get noticed. I actually think it's much easier now in many ways--I can google up books like ones I like and read chapters. That's awesome! People can find me in a heartbeat now! I can find them just as fast! I can get the entire back catalog delivered to my tablet in five minutes--no more digging through the "Also by..." page at the back of the book and matching it to things in used bookstores and hoping I hadn't missed one.

I don't think the novel is in any danger at all--I just think that many of the old way of getting noticed are changing. Windows are closing and other opening. If you only know one way to success and that way starts to shut down, it doesn't mean that no one will ever be successful again, it means that you have to find another way in.

Sometimes there's a window of opportunity that opens briefly, then closes--I got in as a blogger when Livejournal was big, and most of my adult fan base derived from there, but it'd be a terrible way to try and get noticed now.

There will be other windows, some open for only a very short time, some lasting for many years. Meanwhile, the novel will continue to plug away just fine.

Beachgirl

Not easily managed
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not worried at all. I still work a day job because the pay and benefits are pretty darned good, but my writing brings in a nice second income :)

I'll second this. I'm not giving up my steady paycheck and benefits anytime soon (hopefully!), but royalties certainly pay for some fun extras.

Status
Not open for further replies.