Who do I see about ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies.

everybody

We are in this together.
Registered
Reaction score
I know a guy who tells me he sells creative ideas.

Besides just having thought of an awesome band name, I think I have interesting ideas from time to time.

I know this isn't a matter of publishing, but I didn't know where else to put this. I'm new to the whole writers' community thing.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Ideas used to be a dime a dozen, but the price has gone up; they're now 25-cents a dozen.

Ask the guy how many ideas he's sold and for what price.

If we can sell ideas for $5 apiece we're all going to be rich on this forum.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, but I will throw in a second idea absolutely free. Just pay separate shipping and handling.

everybody

We are in this together.
Registered
Reaction score
Hey man, you never know. There could be an Ideas Emporium somewhere out there.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
There could be. If you find it and make money from it please let us know.

There's a TV show called Everyday Edisons that take people's ideas and turn them in to products.

I just have my doubts about doing much with just coming up with band names and things like that.

Last edited:

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Google - ideas for stories.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
There's an old saying in publishing. "If you have to ask how to write, that's normal. If you have to ask what to write about, you're in the wrong profession."

Kylabelle

unaccounted for
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
But if this takes off, then when people ask us "where do you get your ideas?" we can say "Why, everybody has lots of ideas! The point is to do something with them!"

:D

Gringa

Registered
Reaction score
Ideas are a dime a dozen. Some are on sale, some are top of the line. Disney made his ideas come true and so can you.

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Ideas used to be a dime a dozen, but the price has gone up; they're now 25-cents a dozen.

Ask the guy how many ideas he's sold and for what price.

If we can sell ideas for $5 apiece we're all going to be rich on this forum.

And the price war begins. I've just lowered my prices to $4.95 to undercut Alleycat.
I bid 55,000 quatloos.

gettingby

Registered
Reaction score
The only place I know of where selling ideas can happen is in journalism. I pitched a magazine once that loved my story idea, but wanted someone in house to write it. They offered me $100 for the idea and called it a finders fee. In my case, I ended up negotiating to write the article myself because at the time I wanted the clip and really wanted to do the story, too. I was paid $300 for the article. However, if I hadn't wanted to do anymore work, the $100 was a pretty nice offer for the idea.

I don't know if you can just pitch ideas without planning to write them and have the same effect. Magazines do get a lot of ideas and press releases sent to them for free, but if you have something they really want, it can happen.

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
There are actually people who sell their ideas for a living, but they aren't usually as simple as a one line sentence or "off the top of my head" kind of thing.

You can sell ideas for products and ideas for movie or television development, but you're going to have to have contacts in those industries that can help you put your ideas into sale-ready form. You have to meet with the people who want what you have to offer, and it has to be a real presentation.

For products, sometimes you can convince a business to make improvements on existing products, or even back a new one, but again, it's not a simple matter of "Hey, I've got an idea!"

Polenth

Mushroom
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.polenthblake.com
If you want ideas for free, there's always the terrible crossover fanfiction idea generator- http://kaction.com/. Once I file the serial numbers off my Call of Cthulhu meets Gordon Ramsay story, riches are guaranteed!

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
Why did you link that? WHY?!

(Though I have to say that MacGuyver meets King of the Hill, with zombies practically writes itself. I foresee Dale Gribble, conspiracy theories, and lots of duct tape.)

Polenth

Mushroom
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.polenthblake.com
Why did you link that? WHY?!

(Though I have to say that MacGuyver meets King of the Hill, with zombies practically writes itself. I foresee Dale Gribble, conspiracy theories, and lots of duct tape.)

I like to share the joy!

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
If you want ideas for free, there's always the terrible crossover fanfiction idea generator- http://kaction.com/. Once I file the serial numbers off my Call of Cthulhu meets Gordon Ramsay story, riches are guaranteed!

I got:
Your challenge is to write crossover fanfiction combining Smurfs and Dragonball Z. The story should use terrorism as a plot device!

Practically writes itself, doesn't it?

Rhoda Nightingale

Vampire Junkie
Registered
Reaction score

Pffft--amateurs. I've been writing Doctor Who/Evil Dead fanfiction for three weeks now, with an extra dose of HP Lovecraft. (I really wish I was joking.) (Nobody here has me added on LiveJournal, right?)

Status
Not open for further replies.