Who do I see about ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ArachnePhobia

Registered
Reaction score
Your challenge is to write crossover fanfiction combining Duke Nukem and Oregon Trail. The story should use bondage as a plot device!

Okay, I can see how that qualifies as a terrible idea, but...

Your challenge is to write crossover fanfiction combining GI Joe and Mortal Kombat. The story should use someone opening a gate to Hell as a plot device!

That. Sounds. AWESOME.

thepicpic

May or may not be a potato.
Registered
Reaction score
"Your challenge is to write crossover fanfiction combining Max Payne and Sherlock Holmes. The story should use a party as a plot device!"

Good God. I think my brain just imploded.

gingerwoman

Registered
Reaction score
There is only one verified idea store in the world, and it is in South Africa. JK Rowling and Stephen King both make sure they are well armed before entering.

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
Lolly, lolly, lolly get your ideas here...

Seriously, there's a method for generating ideas for stories where you take a book and randomly open to three different pages and put your finger on a random word (should be a real word, not simply an article or conjunction).

So you get something like Sheep, eyeballs, gravity

And then you get to come up with a story that incorporates those concepts.

This site does something similar. 's fun. Try it.

Last edited:

Becky Black

Writing my way off the B Ark
Registered
Reaction score
Website
beckyblack.wordpress.com
I know a guy who tells me he sells creative ideas.

Unless he was telling you this while sipping a champagne cocktail on the deck of the yacht he'd bought with the proceeds of this idea selling, I wouldn't take this as career advice as the best field to get into.

Writers already have ideas. And they're only really interested in writing their own ideas, not someone else's - unless they are being paid a nice commission for it of course. That's actually the more likely way for the money to go - ghost writers for example. The writing is the work, and therefore the thing that can be bought and sold. Ideas meanwhile can be picked up free anywhere.

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
I have an average of three ideas during my morning commute, depending on traffic sanity, my well-being, and what music I'm listening to. All sarcasm aside, ideas are easy. Implementation is where the real work begins. I need two clones who can do that.

SianaBlackwood

Registered
Reaction score
Website
sb.siasan.com
Here's one:

:granny:: eats a :banana::

I know an old lady who swallowed a dancing banana?

Also: "Your challenge is to write crossover fanfiction combining Half-Life and Phoenix Wright. The story should use some sort of meta-commentary about how terrible this idea is as a plot device"

Also: Ideas are given away for free in the adoptables on NaNoWriMo at this time of year. There's just no money in the ideas business.

StephanieZie

Trust me, I'm a doctor
Registered
Reaction score
"Your challenge is to write crossover fanfiction combining Tenchi Muyo and My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic. The story should use body switching as a plot device!"

I wish I could say the gears in my head weren't already turning, but...

Reaction score
Second star on the right and on 'til morning.
Website
atsiko.wordpress.com
I got:

"Your challenge is to write crossover fanfiction combining Serial Experiments Lain and Homestuck. The story should use making a music video as a plot device!"

That would be the most wacked-out shit ever.

ETA: I also liked this one: Your challenge is to write crossover fanfiction combining Homestar Runner and Grease. The story should use someone opening a gate to Hell as a plot device!

Last edited:

RedWombat

Runs With Scissors
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ursulavernon.com
I got Deadpool and Splinter Cell and a parade and now all I can think of is Deadpool addressing the reader "Hey! You! Why am I in fanfiction?"

Sonsofthepharaohs

Still writing the ancient Egyptian tetralogy
Registered
Reaction score
Your challenge is to write crossover fanfiction combining Atlas Shrugged and Dexter. The story should use losing one's virginity as a plot device!

Best. Idea. Evurrr.

Ramshackle

*scribbles*
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.badmenagerie.com
"Your challenge is to write crossover fanfiction combining the Sopranos and My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic. The story should use teaching kids to say no to drugs as a plot device!"

... *temptation*

Rachel77

Registered
Reaction score
I have an average of three ideas during my morning commute

I do too, but my ideas generally involve new curses for people who cut me off in traffic. Shouting things like "May your eyeballs explode!" is weirdly satisfying.

Crossover idea contribution: Law & Order meets H. P. Lovecraft. ("He was killed by an Elder God!" "Uh-huh. What did the god look like?")

Phaeal

Whatever I did, I didn't do it.
Registered
Reaction score
I do too, but my ideas generally involve new curses for people who cut me off in traffic. Shouting things like "May your eyeballs explode!" is weirdly satisfying.

Crossover idea contribution: Law & Order meets H. P. Lovecraft. ("He was killed by an Elder God!" "Uh-huh. What did the god look like?")

Well, Officer, obviously it was unspeakable, indescribable and unnameable! Jeez, the ignorance of some people....

Me, unless I get Kolchak meets Diners, Drive-ins and Dives, shoggoths ensue, I'm not playing.

Pterofan

Trust me, I'm a writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pterosnest.blogspot.com
I got:
:Your challenge is to write crossover fanfiction combining Joe Biden and Jurassic Park. The story should use losing one's virginity as a plot device!

Both the dinosaurs and I are screaming now.

Beachgirl

Not easily managed
Registered
Reaction score
I got this: "Your challenge is to write crossover fanfiction combining Iron Man and Lord of the Rings. The story should use losing one's pants as a plot device!"

Um, yes please!

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
I got this: "Your challenge is to write crossover fanfiction combining Iron Man and Lord of the Rings. The story should use losing one's pants as a plot device!"

Um, yes please!

I'd be very surprised if this one doesn't exist out there already.

Status
Not open for further replies.