On writing about clumsiness

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rambling

Registered
Reaction score
Please forgive the rantiness, and it isn't actually triggered by the obvious series :)

Clumsiness in characters seems to be a current fad - a notable number of authors I’ve read over the last few years seem to have picked this as an optional extra. It’s like they’ve picked it because a flaw is compulsory and it doesn’t seem likely to damage their character’s image, like an interviewee claiming that their biggest weakness is that they work too hard. Don’t do this. If your character is Mary Sue-ish, no quantity of fake flaws are going to change that. Okay, but that’s not you -- you genuinely want to write a well-rounded character who happens to be clumsy. Fair enough. But then please think it all the way through. [Oh, I guess you could also be writing slapstick. If so, ignore all below; slapstick has different rules]

I am clumsy in real life. I can’t remember the last time all my toenails were alive at the same time, and you can tell the height of the various tables in my life by the bruise patterns on my legs. This means a few things. It means I don’t place glasses anywhere near the edge of a surface. It means I don’t wear heels. It means I rotate the handles of pots and pans to be on the opposite side of where I’m working.It means I keep one hand free when going up and down stairs. It means I rest my containers in a sink if I’m trying to pour something hot into them. It means that if something is likely to slide if carried on a tray? I don’t carry it on a tray. As an adult, I break neither bones nor glassware with any greater frequency than anyone else. I’m clumsy. I’m not stupid, nor inconsiderate, nor suicidal. So unless your character is stupid, inconsiderate, or suicidal, they too should have developed coping skills to compensate for their problems. They shouldn’t be tripping over thin air while carrying a pyramid of glasses.

If you want to handle it with any sort of depth, you’ll also need to decide how they’re clumsy, because not all clumsiness is created equal. For example, I have diminished proprioception and poor spatial memory - asking me to point to something I can’t see is an exercise in hilarity. (But again, I don’t tend to get lost. I’ve learnt to compensate for having no sense of direction in the literal sense). It means I have to watch for that vicious attacking furniture, but threading a needle doesn’t defeat me. Someone with balance problems, or nightblindness, or muscle weakness, or problems with motor coordination, or something else, will have a different set of things that scare them, and will have changed their lives to avoid a different set of circumstances.

Which brings me to a point that feels like it should be too obvious to mention, except that I never see any evidence of it. The results of clumsiness are painful, humiliating, and inconvenient, and people avoid circumstances likely to leave them hurt, humiliated, or inconvenienced. I hate to imply it’s an irrational phobia, but expect someone with nightblindness to react the same way to a walk home at twilight as an arachnophobe being asked to carry a tarantula. This is something that will get more pronounced the older your character is, in part because of experience, in part because how much damage you take is in direct proportion to your age. A fall you can walk off at twenty will put you on crutches for weeks at forty. Similarly, bruises that used to fade in days will remain visible for up to a month.

If you were hoping to use the clumsiness so the supporting characters will commiserate with them? Realise that in real life, frequent minor accidents quickly use up other people’s store of sympathy. No matter how nice a person is, they’ll reach their limit for how often they’re willing to express concern over yet another bruise. The last time a body part of mine turned blue, my husband’s reaction boiled down to something close to ‘well, at least this time I don’t have to drive you to hospital.’ Even more major accidents will be treated much the same way as with someone driving over the legal alcohol limit – people will assume it’s the victim’s own fault, and scale their compassion appropriately.

Everyone’s a little clumsy, most people think they’re clumsier than average, and a few people have medical conditions they need to be treated for. It isn’t the degree of clumsiness attributed to characters that bother me, it’s the integration that clumsiness has into the entire presentation of that character. So if you want to write about it, don’t try and sprinkle it on top - make it part of who they are.

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
Oh lor, I am so glad you said this! I can be clumsy because I have CFS. A totally different kind of clumsy to yours and I have different coping mechanisms. But the one thing it's not is cute to other people. They get fed up with it pretty quickly.

Marian Perera

starting over
Registered
Reaction score
Heaven is a place on earth called Toronto.
Website
www.marianperera.com
A clumsy heroine is going to turn me off unless there's something amazing to make up for it, because I've read this so many times it irritates the hell out of me.

The last straw was a romance I wanted to like, except when the hero and heroine are taking a walk together, she's so overwhelmed by his hotness that she stumbles and almost falls. He catches her. Then he says something, and she's so stunned by his hotness that she stumbles and almost falls. He catches her. Then he smiles, and she's so bowled over by his hotness that... yeah. At that point I decided she had a neurological disorder and I stopped reading.

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
Oh yes, that would have hit the wall pretty quickly!

I wonder why they do it cos they've stopped doing it in films pretty much. You know, where the heroine runs away and falls over a log or a stone or her own feet and the hero sweeps in and picks her up. Eyeroll!

Marian Perera

starting over
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.marianperera.com
I wonder why they do it cos they've stopped doing it in films pretty much.

In romances it seems to mimic the Bella/Anastasia klutzy cuteness as well as being a sure-fire means of showing how hot the hero is. He's so breathtaking he makes her stumble and trip, and that way he can show he's strong (by catching her) and in love (by being amused at her antics).

Last edited:

Rambling

Registered
Reaction score
But the one thing it's not is cute to other people. They get fed up with it pretty quickly.

Oh yes.

But they still expect me to sympathise with them when they do the same thing.

Another thing that drives me nuts is how everyone's an expert. Not just the well-meaning but valueless "Be careful!" after I've already hurt myself, but the "You shouldn't move so fast / You should tie your shoelaces tighter / You shouldn't eat so much sugar / etc.." Like if they can pin it to something, they can make it a life lesson for me so they don't have to feel bad.

At that point I decided she had a neurological disorder and I stopped reading.

Hahaha - yeah, I'd start wondering why the hero isn't more disturbed by it :)

Marian Perera

starting over
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.marianperera.com
Hahaha - yeah, I'd start wondering why the hero isn't more disturbed by it :)

Oh, he knows this flaw will be restricted to her tripping over her own feet like a baby who's just starting to walk. She'll never, for instance, accidentally knock a cup of hot coffee into his lap. And when they have sex, she'll turn into Margot Fonteyn. No clumsiness there!

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Is there anyone who isn't clumsy to some degree? If so, I've never met them.

I handle the trait of clumsiness exactly as I handle any other trait. I make it real, and I use real people as models. I never put in a flaw because it's "compulsary", and sometimes I put in no discernible flaw at all. I've never, ever had an editor or a reader complain. To me, sticking a flaw into every character just screams, "Hey, you;re reading a novel."

I know people aren't perfect, and so do readers. There's no need to point out the obvious. If a character handles a situation realistically, treats others around him realistically, and thinks and acts realistically, there's no need to make him trip over a carpet, or kick a small dog, or yell at a child, or be unable to speak clearly.

My characters are all real people, and they aren't patchwork Dr. Frankenstein monsters, sewn together from a piece of this guy, and a part of that guy. To the best of my ability, I put down a real person on paper, and have him do, act, think, and speak as he would do in a real situation. If he hits his thumb with a hammer, it's solely because that real person has hit his thumb with a hammer. It's never there just to introduce a flaw. I've found most characters in most stories do not need some flaw the reader can see, so I don't put one in.

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
Clumsiness works best when you're running late to school with toast in your mouth.

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I remember getting really, really cross with a neighbour who told my then two-year-old son that he was clumsy because he, I dunno, did something unsuccessfully. It seemed like such a negative judgemental descriptor. Not to mention premature.

I haven't thought about clumsiness for ages. Thanks, OP - that description of dealing with it has so much information. Very generous of you. Very valuable for writers.

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
I'm definitely guilty of playing my own clumsiness for comedy.

If I trip, I make sure to trip dramatically.

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
Let's also not forget sometimes clumsiness can be a character strength rather than a flaw.

How do male characters manage to trip so perfectly they innocently end up with a face full of breasts so often?

If I did that, I'd end up in a sexual harassment lawsuit.

I wish I had that superpower.

Buffysquirrel

Registered
Reaction score
I always keep a hand free when going downstairs, too. My knee has a nasty habit of giving out occasionally, and a plunge to the ground isn't my idea of fun. People sometimes laugh at how long it can take me to get downstairs. But speed is over-rated!

Sam Argent

Rygel XVI
Registered
Reaction score
Clumsiness works best when you're running late to school with toast in your mouth.

Not so much when you're wearing pjs and praying the bus driver sees you before she turns the corner. *sigh*

And people never mention how frustrating it is like if you cook a nice meal, take all the accident prone precautions you can think of, and still manage to spill your meal on the floor. This is never a cute 'Tee hee, I'm so clumsy moment'. Also, it's embarrassing when people help you after you trip. When it happens, I just want to get up, forget it happened, and walk it off.

buz

edits all posts at least four times
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Any flaw that does not have consequences in the manuscript is not a flaw. :)

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
I've been clumsy all my life, so I don't mind seeing an occasional character with this trait. We're out there in the world and deserve representation. However, I wouldn't say clumsiness is the kind of flaw that makes a character especially interesting. It's either an endearing or slightly irritating quirk (depending on whether said person trips and spills their drink on themselves or on you), not the kind of flaw that helps drive a story, or leads to an interesting redemption arc, or is generally something a character needs to overcome to achieve their goals.

Which, in my opinion, is the kind of flaw a character should have.

Now I suppose if the clumsy character is a diplomat who spills their drink down the cleavage of the Supreme Empress and starts a war, then it could be intriguing.

Last edited:

Tepelus

And so...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
keskedgell.blogspot.com
A clumsy heroine is going to turn me off unless there's something amazing to make up for it, because I've read this so many times it irritates the hell out of me.

The last straw was a romance I wanted to like, except when the hero and heroine are taking a walk together, she's so overwhelmed by his hotness that she stumbles and almost falls. He catches her. Then he says something, and she's so stunned by his hotness that she stumbles and almost falls. He catches her. Then he smiles, and she's so bowled over by his hotness that... yeah. At that point I decided she had a neurological disorder and I stopped reading.

LOL! Are you sure it wasn't meant to be a comedy?

Bolero

Registered
Reaction score
Well, and in romance/historical there are also "ladies tricks" - as in drop hanky/gloves/fan just when hot guy is passing so you can get an introduction because he does the gentlemanly thing and picks them up and hands them back. That is because she is most definitely not supposed to say "hi big boy"

Last edited:

gothicangel

Toughen up.
Registered
Reaction score
Well, and in romance/historical there are also "ladies tricks" - as in drop hanky/gloves/fan just when hot guy is passing so you can get an introduction because he does the gentlemanly thing and picks them up and hands them back. That is because she is most definitely not supposed to say "hi big boy"

I like how Jane Austen got round this in Northanger Abbey. Catherine meets Henry Tilney at a party, but she isn't supposed to speak to him before someone has introduced them. Catherine is being chaperoned by Mrs Allen (who she is staying with), when Mrs Allen is accidently bumped into be Henry, and manages to dislodge a dress pin, and being the gentleman he is re-fastens it. Mrs Allen then starts talking about how expensive the muslin cost, and Henry starts talking with her on the subject. Remembering they haven't been introduced (and has taken a fancy to Catherine), he runs off to find the party host to introduce him to Catherine.

Bolero

Registered
Reaction score
I like how Jane Austen got round this in Northanger Abbey. Catherine meets Henry Tilney at a party, but she isn't supposed to speak to him before someone has introduced them. Catherine is being chaperoned by Mrs Allen (who she is staying with), when Mrs Allen is accidently bumped into be Henry, and manages to dislodge a dress pin, and being the gentleman he is re-fastens it. Mrs Allen then starts talking about how expensive the muslin cost, and Henry starts talking with her on the subject. Remembering they haven't been introduced (and has taken a fancy to Catherine), he runs off to find the party host to introduce him to Catherine.

Forgotten that. And of course it is period perfect because what she was writing was a contemporary romance. :)

L M Ashton

crazy spec fic writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lmashton.com
Rambling, well said.

I have proprioception problems as well, along with dysautonomias and incredibly unstable joints that dislocate/subluxate/give out any time they feel like it.

Compensating for clumsiness? Absolutely. I have indoor shoes and outdoor shoes. I never go barefoot. Ever. I've broken toes five times. Never again. I always use the handrail to go up and down stairs - have to. I carry things with two hands, not one, although I don't do heavy - the husband's for that. I've nearly passed out from walking into doorways (bilateral frozen shoulders - incredibly painful.) And I have days that I'm so clumsy that I'm dangerous and have to stay away from the kitchen and all knives, hot pots, and everything else that's dangerous.

Status
Not open for further replies.