Perks is back, but with a cautionary tale about branding.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sat Nam! (Literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

People thought your name was a come on? Yuck!

I thought it meant you have a chipper personality...or that writing has its perks.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

Rhoda Nightingale

Vampire Junkie
Registered
Reaction score
Joining the coffee bandwagon. Some people will jump through any number of hoops to get to "bewbies," and I sometimes marvel at the sheer imagination behind the segue-ways. Reminds me of being in middle school when anything and everything meant SEX, which was frustrating as hell because I'm not great with euphemisms on a good day.

(Personally, I've yet to see a breast that I'd describe as "perky." That always struck me as weird. But whatever.)

Having said that: in my greener days as a forum chatterer, before I got to AW, I acquired a net-stalker. Not based on my username (I don't think? Can't remember what it was back then.), but I got some weird PMs and had to work with the mods to let me change my name until the dude got sent packing. Then reintroduced myself to the forum under the new name, and a few people "recognized" me, but it wasn't really the same.

So welcome back! And I feel ya.

*ALL THE HUGS*

Wilde_at_heart

υπείκωphobe
Registered
Reaction score
Here's another nod to coffee. I always thought of "percolator" when I saw your name.

Me too.
Coffee percolating, ideas percolating ....

I'm far from clean-minded and would never have made such an association.

Mclesh

It's too hot
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.storyrhyme.com
I always thought of the free or cheap stuff you can get in some jobs. 'I get loads of free postie notes. It's one of the perks of the job.

This is what I thought when I'd see your screen name. Never once did it cross my mind that there could be a connotation with breasts.

Some people have no filter. :(

Beachgirl

Not easily managed
Registered
Reaction score
I never thought "boobeez" when I saw your name. And I'm an erotic romance author, so I'd think if *anyone* would, it would be me!

Wait, does that reflect badly on my erotic imagination? Should I be seeing boobeez everywhere?

poetinahat

say it loud
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I thought of both of those references almost immediately when I saw your name. But I knew that neither one was what you'd meant.

And, for once, I had the goddamn common sense to acknowledge them and put them away without having to act on them. What's more, as user names go, glass houses and all that.

Lately, my favorite cliché is this: Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

Anyway, I'm glad you're setting the ground rules, not some random creeps and yobs. It means I don't have to change the engraving on this pedestal so close to Christmas.

Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
You'll always be Perks to me, no matter what your real name or pen name is. I'm weird like that. :Shrug:

I have the worst time with screen names. I can't seem to change the person's name in my head even after I learn the real name. :roll:

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Actually, my second guess was that your real last name was Perkins and Perks was a long-time nickname.

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
AW Admin said that Haskins outed me as "Jamie", so I outed him as the StayPuft Marshmallow Man.

Not comedy gold, I will admit.

Little Anonymous Me

Registered
Reaction score
I always associated it with Perks of Being a Wallflower...especially because of the 'delicate #!&@*#! flower' bit. I can't believe people thought of boobs. Never even crossed my mind.

:Wha:

Rhoda Nightingale

Vampire Junkie
Registered
Reaction score
AW Admin said that Haskins outed me as "Jamie", so I outed him as the StayPuft Marshmallow Man.

Not comedy gold, I will admit.

So....he said your name? Is that it? *blink, blink* That's the whole joke?

Well I saw that! Jeez. (I can't Irony anymore--I need to go to bed.)

Bloo

Roofied by Rylan
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.emergencyroomproductions.net
For some reason, I read it as Parks (don't ask me why) and thought of Parks and Recreation. I don't know WHY my mind went there, but certainly not where others minds went...

CassandraW

Banned
Flounced
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
Welcome back, Perks. I'm glad you decided to stick with your original screen name. I think of coffee whenever I see one of your posts, and I like that.

And now I shall think of hot cocoa whenever I see one of William's. Or possibly s'mores. Mmmmm. S'mores.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.