The No News is No News Purgatory Thread, Vol. 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

CalebJMalcom

And behold... A seed!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I am also the person a few years ago that had a blow out because I was watching an owl fly through the city and I hit the curb

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome home, Rick! It's almost like I came to Susie's attention when you come back after an absence--all these reppies for my usual whining. I'm fine, and I sure hope you and your lesions are, too. Not every lesion causes trouble, or at least that's my understanding.

I assume RT is a romance convention? Since I don't write it or even read it (sorry, I'm sure if you write it, it rocks!), I'm utterly out of the loop. What does RT stand for?

Cold and rainy out, which made it an excellent time to do as much of the grocery run as possible before utter madness descends. I'll just need to nip out for produce, dairy, and maybe bread. Of course the house is still all weird from two-thirds of the holiday decorating being done, the rest waiting for me to get off my lazy butt, and the table is still covered with the stuff from the cabinet. Mr. Maryn's got the crazy idea that we should put it all in the cupboard over the refrigerator, where I can't reach even the front. This helps how? At least on the table I can get at it.

Meh, every marriage's disagreement should be over matter of such importance, right?

Maryn, who spent an obscene amount on food

Dragonfly45

Purveyor of the Sparkly
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.colbymarshall.blogspot.com
Morning, Purgs.

So, my 2013 goals: Query and hopefully sign an agent for CB. Sell tT (the second in CoC's series). Write/finish first draft of PBN (sequel to CB).

Also, welcome back, Rick! I hope everyone will stop by, as I have up an interview with our very own Rick on my blog today:
http://tinyurl.com/cznzgsg

Brandy

I swear by my pretty floral bonnet
Registered
Reaction score
((((((((((RICK!!!!!!!!)))))))))))))))
Scary stuff. I hope all is well.

Also, Damsel's Christmas deal today (she's not posting it til later, apparently) will be hooded elf vests. Depending on how they look (and what colors they're in), I may get one for kiddo, I bet she'd love it.

Tas- I was thinking of my daughter too! I skipped out on the bloomerettes. Though they were cute- must rein in the spending a bit. :)

I will actually leave the house to shop one day this week. Ughhh.........dread.

K. Taylor

Bah Humbug
Registered
Reaction score
Website
carlakrae.blogspot.com
Maryn, it's the Romantic Times Con, and hosts more than just romance authors. The YA section is pretty big now, and there have been urban fantasy, mystery, thriller...various genre guests before. RT is a magazine that does reviews.

Dawn Schaefer

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I've never heard about this Damsel site before, but ohhhh...the pretty! For those that have ordered from her, is the quality really good? I have my eye on something.

Rick

"Thriller" Apprentice
Registered
Reaction score
All caught up and ready to head to work. Thanks for all the lesion-love. There's no discernible effects, though. Well, except for that twitch...

CB - congrats on Wid3 0Pen being on the reviewer's choice list!

FruitTree - good luck with the revision!

NIYRAK - WOOT for signing sellage and for Amazon rank!

Fury - Yay! for finishing your revision! Vamp dust for agent's review!

Dragonstar - best wishes on Chloe's appointment.

Lisa - safe travels!

Clovia - cool video! Thanks for sharing! Brings back memories.

Dawn - congrats on the SW relisting!

Tas - good luck on the job app!

Sunna - Yay! for Mr. Sunna's return!

Red - great job on the reduced hours!

Lwalker - congrats on finishing the WIP!

Jo - glad the OB appointment went well!

My 2013 writing goals?
1. Smooth, accepted ms for Book 1
2. Book 2 revision that passes the mustard test.
3. 1st draft of Book 3. (It'd be nice to have a plot first, though.)

Well, she is Blondroid for a reason.
+1!

Front of the brain is also where memory is. Any memory problems lately?
Hmmm, not that I can think of. Why do you ask?

I'm off - going to drop off a special lunch treat for kiddo #3, then drag myself into work for a few hours; I haven't figured out a reasonable excuse to blow off the whole day...

Dragonstar

a wishin' and a hopin'
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Morning all. Hugs and cheers as appropriate.

Welcome back, Rick!!! Hope all is going to be well with your brain.

I saw the neurologist yesterday. He ordered an MRI on my brain. Said he thought the head/ear pressure thing might be connected to my neck, so they took X-rays of my neck. He said he wasn't going to commit to migraines for the fractured vision thingies because I don't have a recent history of headaches (none for years and years before this). *shrug* So no answers yet, but soon, I hope. He prescribed a muscle relaxer and physical therapy.

Chloe got a complete blood workup and she's on meds now for her seizures. I adore my vet because he is awesome. He thinks it's pretty sure she has epilepsy, but will call me today with the results.

A nice little tidbit: his radio show sometimes has non-expert guests. Folks who have/love pets. I might get to go on the show when my book releases. I have a dog in my book. OK so she's a ghost, but she's helpful. He's also a writer for P3tfinders, which gets a million hits a day, so his own listener-base is growing nicely. Hope I get to go on, but I think I will. :)

I find it odd that my dog will have her results the next day. I have to wait a week before they will even schedule the MRI and I don't go back for a followup until Feb. I'm assuming if something shows up in the X-rays or MRI they will let me know sooner.

Brandy

I swear by my pretty floral bonnet
Registered
Reaction score
Pet health care is vastly superior to human health care. I've always thought so, but especially in respect to urgency of care and end of life issues. :)

K. Taylor

Bah Humbug
Registered
Reaction score
Website
carlakrae.blogspot.com
Pet health care is vastly superior to human health care. I've always thought so, but especially in respect to urgency of care and end of life issues. :)

Da.

Rain seems to have stopped already. This storm is supposed to leave wind in its wake, so I expect it to move quickly by.

Tasmin21

They will come from below...
Registered
Reaction score
Dawn - Re RT schedule - They have their panel schedule up now, and you can search it for your name if you want to see when your panel is supposed to be.

Re Damsel - LOVE her quality. They are some of the sturdiest and yet most comfortable corsets I've ever owned. I've only had mine for less than a year, but her fans are legion and there are women who have been wearing the same garb for years because it holds up so well to wear and tear. In addition to a great quality product, she's just a really nice person, and has stellar customer service. Don't be afraid to email her about any questions you might have.

CalebJMalcom

And behold... A seed!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I just had a rather bothersome conversation. I understand where she's coming from. I grew up around that mentality. I see it in the neighborhood I live in but what bothered me more then her mentality was how small she thought the world was and how she believes each place is exactly like this place. I hope the tiny bit I gave her will spark at least a little curiosity. I'll never know.

Tasmin21

Registered
Reaction score
*grumble* Stupid corporate firewall, blocking Tumblr... *sulk*

dystophil

Wielder of the Literary Lead Pipe
Registered
Reaction score
Website
alexharrow.blogspot.com
Morning, Purgs!

Hugs and good health for purgy pets and bipeds alike. Hope you all are having a good Tuesday and Tas hires a good hitman for the disposal of annoying co-workers. (Give her my number when she's done with your job, yes?)

Lazy morning here, watched a lot of C@stle, catching up with my DVR, now that I have some time on my hands. Also, I suck at being completely lazy and probably should be finishing up my senior project, but instead I think I'm going to write this New Year short that's been stuck in my head. Also once again proving that I can't write entirely happy stuff. :tongue

But hey, writing! This thing that I may have forgotten how to do!

Tasmin21

Registered
Reaction score
I love how Dys assumes my "hit person" would be female. ;)

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Times have changed since "Prizzi's Honor," when the twist was that the hit man was a woman and therefore above suspicion. A woman, doing a job usually done by men? No! How can it be?

Maryn, shocked

dystophil

Wielder of the Literary Lead Pipe
Registered
Reaction score
Website
alexharrow.blogspot.com
There are times when I'm sad that my MC in the dystopian fantasy isn't a woman. But hey, there are still plenty of women in it who can in fact shoot. And they're scary, too! ;)

By the way, sometimes I seriously think writing is all about brain space. I seriously have spent months not even thinking about anything related to writing, to the point where I wasn't even sure I still could because I was so stressed. And now that I finally get some breathing space? All the WIPithanies! It's kind of awesome. :)

Rick

"Thriller" Apprentice
Registered
Reaction score
I made it to work. Time for lunch break (hee hee). I'm such a slacker, now that I'm a short-timer. (1 month left on the job.)

Dragon - I hope your MRI turns out well, and Yay! for Cloe being on meds.

Dys - good luck on the short.

The most traumatic issue about my recent medical drama is the doc this morning slotted me for a hearing aid appointment. Really? Am I THAT old? I was pretty excited after my shoulder surgery a few years ago (2 titanium screws, thankyou) and my implant - I was as good as when I was 18. But then I lost the end of my finger while rehabbing the shoulder (that was a bubu that would not scab over and heal - remember the pic?) and it's been all downhill since then. Just issue me a cane or a walker and be done with it.

I'm blaming my hearing loss on the "Engine Room Noisemaker". In my "youth", I used to stand watch in the Engine Room, seated next to an air "sniffer" on my left side, continuously monitoring for airborne particulate radioactivity. Minor neutron leakage past the primary and secondary shields is normal, but airborne particulate activity is a BAD sign - either fuel element damage in the core or a Primary coolant leak. You'd think the rocket scientists who designed a reactor protection system that can detect a runaway core and SCRAM it within milliseconds could design an APD that didn't sound like a lawnmower, but apparently not. Anyway, the damn thing was so loud it was nicknamed The Engine Room Noisemaker - it's a bad design when the air sniffer is louder than the main engines. * grumble, grumble * (I have no idea if this was it, but my hearing loss is primarly on my left side, so I'm sticking with the story for now.)

Anyway, I guess I should get some work done today? (I caught everyone by surprise, actually showing up for work, I guess. Someone was camped out at my desk, usurping my ethernet connection. I had to fight the urge to yell - GET OFF MY LAWN!)

* sigh * back to work.

Last edited:

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Rick, I bet that's the source of the loss. No "story" to it, really--frequent exposure to loud noise in time affects hearing. The fact that you were most exposed on the side that's now got a hearing loss nails it, IMO.

I know what you mean about getting older, though. Geez, nearly every complaint I have any more is, "Well, that happens as we age." Dry eye, arthritis in both hands, sore back if someone looks at it funny--but hey, I'm not in diapers, so that's good, right?

Answer directly into the ear trumpet, sonny!

Maryn, can't hear you

Tasmin21

Registered
Reaction score
Rick - My father was a mechanic, and his hearing had been damaged by constant exposure to car engine noises to the point where he couldn't hear the upper two or three keys on a piano keyboard. It took us forever to convince him the piano wasn't broken.

Amarie

carpe libri
Registered
Reaction score
Rick, I bet that's the source of the loss. No "story" to it, really--frequent exposure to loud noise in time affects hearing. The fact that you were most exposed on the side that's now got a hearing loss nails it, IMO.

Yes. Makes me wonder how many aging rock musicians have hearing loss. I don't know how they'd avoid it.

My dad had major hearing loss from using a chain saw frequently.

phoenix

rising from the ashes
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lizmichalski.com
Hey Rick, welcome back! (Remember me?)

Yay on the great vet, Dragon. Sorry you have to wait for your own healthcare.

I'm mainlining green tea today in the hopes it will jumpstart my mood, but no luck. I suppose it is time to break out the chocolate...

Status
Not open for further replies.