Cozy Mystery Writer Support

sheadakota

part of the human equation
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, Polenth. I get what you are saying about the gang rape in prison remark - granny wouldn't like to read that remark! It was hyperbole, but doesn't fit in the genre.

I was just reworking the chapter to make it "lighter," more pleasant. I don't know, though - I am certainly not Patricia Cornwell dark, and Evanovich exhausts me with her forced zaniness, but I don't know if I'm "cozy" enough to spend so much time writing a "cozy." I started another mystery with a NYC detective as the MC and I'm finding that more intriguing to write. She is sharing more about herself, it's more psychological in nature, she isn't really funny, though, and I do like humor.

I don't think I have a clue what I'm doing. I'm groping in the dark here. I'm a lifelong reader who has devoured a book a day for 40 years, so much so that I can't read most fiction anymore. It's so formulaic. What grabs me now are characters who have something to say, I'm thinking cozy isn't my genre. Example: I tried to read "Owl's Well That Ends Well." No murder until pg. 54 and then she spent about 20 pages pulling herself up and down in the dumbwaiter, spying on the sheriff. Really? I put it down at that point and sent her other books back to the library.

I don't want to write cozies because I know they are popular. I thought I would enjoy writing in the genre.
N

Nancy- maybe just write without worrying over what genre you fit in. enjoy the journey for right now and worry about the destination ( publication) later.

Nancyleeny

Registered
Reaction score
Haha! What genre would a woman detective and a serial killer fall under? Besides "Unoriginal"? :) Police procedural? It's more mystery than technical, although I do have a few autopsy scenes I created using some great books I got on writing that type of scene. I love anatomy!
Nancy

Nancyleeny

Registered
Reaction score
Archy McNally series

Are any of you familiar with Lawrence Sanders' Archy McNally series? Clever, verbal, goofy MC, no gratuitous violence, quirky cast of characters, vivid settings. I was introduced to the detective genre with his deadly sins series, but was hooked on Archy once I read the first one when it first came out. (His recent ones have been written by another author, and he gave Archy an edge that was not there with Sanders. I don't like them.)

I'm thinking this was a cozy series before the use of the term cozy. Any thoughts?
Nancy

jeseymour

Registered
Reaction score
Website
jeseymour.com
It sounds like caper, not cozy. Donald Westlake wrote capers. Lawrence Block's Bernie Rhodenbarr series is caper. These are not cozies at all, but another genre within the genre. Read some Donald Westlake, you'll love them. He is one of my all time favorite authors, although I do prefer the books he wrote as Richard Stark.

Nancyleeny

Registered
Reaction score
It sounds like caper, not cozy. Donald Westlake wrote capers. Lawrence Block's Bernie Rhodenbarr series is caper. These are not cozies at all, but another genre within the genre. Read some Donald Westlake, you'll love them. He is one of my all time favorite authors, although I do prefer the books he wrote as Richard Stark.

Yes, I think you are right. He is very goofy, as are his friends. I love capers! Thanks for the recommendations!
Nancy

BfloGal

Lost in a plot hole
Registered
Reaction score
Website
barbearly.blogspot.com
What are you currently writing and where are you at in the process?

I write cozy. I'm currently writing the third book of a series.

As this is the cozy mystery writer support thread, I'd like to say a few things in support of cozy writers. Take this as my 95 theses. (Although if I end up with 95 of these things, shoot me.)

1. Cozy mysteries are different, not inferior. That difference doesn't have to mean they're formulaic or badly written. (There are, however, formulaic and badly written books in every genre.) But they are not everyone's cup of tea. On the other side of that coin, they are growing in popularity.

2. Cozies are character driven. A likable (or at least interesting) protagonist is a must. Most cozy readers return to a series because they're interested in the character. That's why the crime often occurs later in the book, compared to other types of mysteries, especially in the first in the series. The job of the cozy writer is to make the reader fall in love with the protagonist in those opening chapters. That's how you sell a series to a reader. Not many readers return to a series because of the plot of a first book. It's because of the character. (Critics will say that cozies often start slow or have no attention grabber. Or that the main character prattles.)

3. Voice is paramount. I was once told by a writing contest judge that my voice was "totally unsuited to writing mystery." And in the margin he wrote, "maybe a cozy." Jerk. Especially since the contest was open to cozy mysteries. Some cozies are chick-litty, with lots of light-hearted banter. Others are not. But the voice, like the protagonist, needs to draw the reader in. (By the way, that same entry that was deemed "totally unsuited" got me my agent on a cold query.)

4. Cozies almost often take place in an almost idyllic small town. I believe that's because cozies, like many other genres, are an escape vehicle; that's where the reader has decided they'd like to spend their reading time. (Critics often decide that setting is formulaic.)

5. Cozies don't generally contain strong language. I can't answer for every reader, but I don't like "cozies" that do contain strong language. Why? It's not because I've never heard those words before. In fact, I grew up in an abusive home where they were hurled at me on a regular basis. Somewhere along the line, I equated the language with the abuse. So when reading for pleasure, I don't want to hear it. (Critics often decide that's unrealistic.)

6. Cozies don't generally contain graphic descriptions of violence or sex. And if there's a little of either, reviewers will call them out. Again, as an escape genre, that's not what readers are looking for. (Critics often decide that makes for a light and unrealistic mystery.)

7. If you haven't noticed, cozy writers get no respect. We are called formulaic, light, and worse. Consider this quote by Otto Penzler: "[Malice Domestic] honors books written in the mode of Agatha Christie, loosely defined as those that contain no explicit sex, excessive gore, or gratuitous violence. Unstated, but clearly of equal importance, is that they must contain not a scintilla of style, originality, or depth. They must have the texture and nuance of an infomercial, lacking only its philosophical power." Read more about it here: http://www.leegoldberg.com/when_will_myste/

So write cozy mysteries at your own risk.

But I'm getting really tired of condescending pokes toward cozy writers. (Not here. I mean in general.) I've put a lot of hours into studying writing craft and learning the genre expectations. And I still do. And I work hard writing and rewriting a manuscript. The subtle (and not-so-subtle) intimations that cozies are substandard are not appreciated.

Not everyone will like cozies. Just because someone doesn't like broccoli it doesn't mean that broccoli is bad. Just because someone doesn't like exercise it doesn't mean exercise is bad. (I'm not fond of noir, but that doesn't make noir bad.) But those who disparage the cozy are often a peculiarly obnoxious breed to assume that because they don't like the genre, it's somehow beneath them. Or not worthy of the mystery genre.

But there are a lot of great readers out there. (And cozy mystery readers tend to read a lot of cozies.) If they're anything like I was, they often want a few hours' respite from a stressful world, where they can walk around a small town, meet some interesting quirky characters, and come across an interesting mystery to solve.

I write for them.

Nancyleeny

Registered
Reaction score

As this is the cozy mystery writer support thread, I'd like to say a few things in support of cozy writers. Take this as my 95 theses. (Although if I end up with 95 of these things, shoot me.)

1. Cozy mysteries are different, not inferior. That difference doesn't have to mean they're formulaic or badly written. (There are, however, formulaic and badly written books in every genre.) But they are not everyone's cup of tea. On the other side of that coin, they are growing in popularity.

2. Cozies are character driven. A likable (or at least interesting) protagonist is a must. Most cozy readers return to a series because they're interested in the character. That's why the crime often occurs later in the book, compared to other types of mysteries, especially in the first in the series. The job of the cozy writer is to make the reader fall in love with the protagonist in those opening chapters. That's how you sell a series to a reader. Not many readers return to a series because of the plot of a first book. It's because of the character. (Critics will say that cozies often start slow or have no attention grabber. Or that the main character prattles.)

3. Voice is paramount. I was once told by a writing contest judge that my voice was "totally unsuited to writing mystery." And in the margin he wrote, "maybe a cozy." Jerk. Especially since the contest was open to cozy mysteries. Some cozies are chick-litty, with lots of light-hearted banter. Others are not. But the voice, like the protagonist, needs to draw the reader in. (By the way, that same entry that was deemed "totally unsuited" got me my agent on a cold query.)

4. Cozies almost often take place in an almost idyllic small town. I believe that's because cozies, like many other genres, are an escape vehicle; that's where the reader has decided they'd like to spend their reading time. (Critics often decide that setting is formulaic.)

5. Cozies don't generally contain strong language. I can't answer for every reader, but I don't like "cozies" that do contain strong language. Why? It's not because I've never heard those words before. In fact, I grew up in an abusive home where they were hurled at me on a regular basis. Somewhere along the line, I equated the language with the abuse. So when reading for pleasure, I don't want to hear it. (Critics often decide that's unrealistic.)

6. Cozies don't generally contain graphic descriptions of violence or sex. And if there's a little of either, reviewers will call them out. Again, as an escape genre, that's not what readers are looking for. (Critics often decide that makes for a light and unrealistic mystery.)

7. If you haven't noticed, cozy writers get no respect. We are called formulaic, light, and worse. Consider this quote by Otto Penzler: "[Malice Domestic] honors books written in the mode of Agatha Christie, loosely defined as those that contain no explicit sex, excessive gore, or gratuitous violence. Unstated, but clearly of equal importance, is that they must contain not a scintilla of style, originality, or depth. They must have the texture and nuance of an infomercial, lacking only its philosophical power." Read more about it here: http://www.leegoldberg.com/when_will_myste/

So write cozy mysteries at your own risk.

But I'm getting really tired of condescending pokes toward cozy writers. (Not here. I mean in general.) I've put a lot of hours into studying writing craft and learning the genre expectations. And I still do. And I work hard writing and rewriting a manuscript. The subtle (and not-so-subtle) intimations that cozies are substandard are not appreciated.

Not everyone will like cozies. Just because someone doesn't like broccoli it doesn't mean that broccoli is bad. Just because someone doesn't like exercise it doesn't mean exercise is bad. (I'm not fond of noir, but that doesn't make noir bad.) But those who disparage the cozy are often a peculiarly obnoxious breed to assume that because they don't like the genre, it's somehow beneath them. Or not worthy of the mystery genre.

But there are a lot of great readers out there. (And cozy mystery readers tend to read a lot of cozies.) If they're anything like I was, they often want a few hours' respite from a stressful world, where they can walk around a small town, meet some interesting quirky characters, and come across an interesting mystery to solve.

I write for them.

Great information - thank you!

I hear over and over again that cozy readers buy books - lots of them. So like Stephen King, who gets beat up by critics also, you can laugh all the way to the bank while creating something you love. Sounds good to me!

Fictional Cowboy

Life is short. Live with purpose.
Registered
Reaction score
Nancyleeny,

You've been getting some good advice here. I'm a definite believer in "write what you love to read." Don't try to write for a genre just because of it's current popularity. Most have tried and failed while a sparse few succeed at it.

Which cozy mysteries have you read? My honest assessment is that you need to do more research to understand cozy mysteries. Although the sex, violence or language that you're writing about may not be excessive in your opinion, it's actually the opinion of the publishers and your audience, the readers of cozies, that matters.

Go to some of the cozy sites, especially Cozy Mystery, and read the reader comments to the blog posts. This site has a regular, dedicated cozy fan base and you can glean a lot of information just by reading their comments. Spoiler: For the most part, they hate swearing and don't want to read any violence. (That's why cozy murders never happen "live" on the page and are "bloodless.")

I would also recommend finding publishers that accept cozy submissions and read their guidelines to see what they're looking for in a cozy. One, for example, limits the romance portion of the story to 20%. She's mentioned in her blog posts that she turns down many manuscripts because the writer obviously didn't bother to check out their guidelines. She said (paraphrased), "Why would I want to work with a writer who doesn't care what I'm looking for? And, trust me, editors talk to each other." Can you imagine sending in your manuscript, only to hear back five months later that it was rejected for a reason you could have known about in 10 minutes by simply reading their guidelines?

Once you know and understand what cozy mysteries are about and have read enough of them to have a solid, first-hand look, you may find that your novel isn't a cozy after all.

In my profile, I have listed as the best advice I've received as this: "Write now. Right later." Don't worry about trying to nitpick everything or worry about publication right now. Get the first draft written completely first. Then consider genre and fitting it into a publisher's guidelines. Trying to do that now is absolutely wasted energy, time and worry. After all, until you have something written to submit, you're not close to being published at all and you're going to stifle your writing.

djunamod

Registered
Reaction score
Hi,
I have my setting, the Jersey shore, my MC is an ex-alcoholic teacher who makes custom cakes and does triathlons. Her best friend is a crazy teacher who doesn't follow social mores, she is working on her marriage, has 3 kids, one in college. I'm thinking she will hold up to a series, but some people who read it found her not likable, too obsessed with her past issues right after bumping into the victim, and found her crazy friend a lot more interesting. And that was just the first 5000 words! Ha!! So i reworked a bit of the beginning to make her more sympathetic and less self-obsessed. I brought in that she used to do dog rescue until it pushed her and her drinking almost over the edge, and did it against her husband's wishes, to show that she is kind, and also strong willed and obsessive.

The victim was a dirtbag - a disbarred lawyer who has made his fortune developing the pristine parts of the island. He has enemies - the Waterkeeper, the hippie, do-gooder wife he cheated on and is leaving, the much younger girlfriend who is upset he's taking so long to leave his wife, the ex-partner he totally screwed out of their real estate development business. I may add an environmentalist as another suspect.

The part that I worry about with the cozy aspect is that there are a number of these people in a "swingers" group - my real life friend was telling me of this group of very average people where I used to live that were in a group like this, and I thought it was interesting, the secret lives people live. And also for motives.

There is nothing explicit, no swinger scenes, just vague references to it and that it is mostly just naming people who were in it and got too involved emotionally with another. Is this too much for cosy? It wasn't in my original plan, but it gave me some motives - the dirtbag got too involved with another woman, whose husband was angry, and was unaccounted for during the murder of the victim. And some confused women, one of whom is comically dopey.

There is a second murder in which one of the suspects is killed, obviously taking him out of consideration, and the murderer tries to take out my MC by running her off the bridge at night. Too much? Not enough?

I have been getting some great advice about planting clues and red herrings. For me, the people are easy and fun to bring to life, I like the dialogue. Creating suspense takes more effort, but the clues are the hardest part. Would love to talk about this! And also any feedback about the "swingers"!

Love this idea! Thanks,
Nancy

BTW, I have about 30,000 words so far.

Hi Nancy,
I'm no expert by far, but from what I know, as long as you don't get into too many graphic details, making references to stuff like the "swingers" scene is fine.

As for your MC - maybe you've chosen the wrong MC. If people find the supporting character more likable than the one you had in mind, did you ever consider that maybe she's the one who should be the MC and not the one you had originally planned? I've had this happen in other novels I'm also working on (in the social satire vein).

I know for myself that if I'm following a series, if I don't initially like the MC, then I get turned off. That's actually happened to me with an older series by Anna Katherine Green (mystery writer who wrote in the late 19th century). She has a couple of novels with a sleuth named Amelia Butterworth (who was supposed to be the inspiration for Miss Marple). I started reading the first one and I didn't really like Amelia all that much so far (certainly not like I like Miss Marple!) so I stopped reading. I'm going to try to continue because I know I need the background and to read the classics in the genre, but I don't know how much I'll continue with the series if I keep not liking her.

Djuna

djunamod

Registered
Reaction score
One of the keys to a cozy series, which hasn't been mentioned yet, is the quirky community (the people, not just the geography and architecture).

Excellent point. That's one of the reasons why I am so drawn to writing cozies. I love to crate quirky characters and settings. I'm not much into my novel yet (about 10,000 words) but so far I'm having a lot of fun creating this community. I'm also trying to keep in the back of my mind the idea that I'm writing a series (which is very new for me) and that these have to be characters that have staying power. In other words, characters that the reader will want to see coming back in other novels in the series rather than just "flash in the pan" characters.

Djuna

djunamod

Registered
Reaction score
I have a question for anyone who wants to answer it, even if you're reading this thread and aren't a cozy reader or writer.

When you're creating your characters, what's your process?

Do you base them off of yourself? People you know? A combination of people? Do you have an actor or actress that you picture when you think of a specific character? Or maybe a character in a movie or TV show? Or are your characters completely of your own imagination?

Tough question to answer for me because I really do a composite for many of my characters and usually I'm not even sure where they are coming from! Some are recognizable to me (for example, I have a colorful aunt who I know I draw quite a lot from for different characters). But most of the time, I pull a little bit from here and a little from there from people I know, people I've read about, people I've seen on TV/in movies, etc.

Although I do have some idea of the main characters when I start out, I don't do extensive character profiles on them. Much of who the characters are comes out while I'm writing the first draft. Then I go back and make notes about things that stand out to me so that I have them when I'm doing the subsequent drafts.

Djuna

Fictional Cowboy

Registered
Reaction score

<snip>

I write for them.

I love you intensely. This is the best post on cozies that I have ever read, including those of authors who guest blog online. Tell me the name of your first book and I will buy it solely based on this post.

I wish we could have lunch and talk together. Not because you're published, but because we're like-minded and both outspoken with unapologetic "tell it like it is" attitudes.

At 48, I am at the absolute best place in my life mentally. Skipping the long story of how I got to this place (long, hard roads filled with difficult life lessons), I arrived at this place with the following belief and attitude:

We're all just people, no matter what circumstances we're living through. At the end of the day, a CEO is still just a person, no better, no worse, than me. What defines us is not our financial situations or the career positions we hold. It's the decisions we make and how we react to the people and situations that come into our lives. (i.e., our character.)

As a result of my life experiences and what I learned, I'm not intimidated by any person. I'm not smart enough to be afraid of anyone. People who belittle and gossip about others are the ones to be pitied. Hurting people hurt people. I'm not moved by what anyone thinks of me. I know who I am and I'm standing on a solid foundation.

So, let the naysayers talk all they want. They don't have the ability to write a cozy because of who they are on the inside. They can't connect with the emotions that make a cozy. Just as I could never write in certain genres because I can't connect with the mindset and emotions they exude.

History has proven that all kinds of books have been ridiculed and rejected only to end up getting published and finding their audience. Even to the point of making cultural history.

Many years ago, while walking through an airport with a friend, I once scoffed at the formulaic romance novels (and their writers) after seeing several of them in people's hands. I remarked at how simple they'd be to write because the formula was unchanging and predictable; all you had to do was change character names and locations and you have a new book. The person I said these things to said something like, "Yes, and the authors are laughing at you all the way to the bank. Airports are filled with these books and they're bought by the thousands. Some people may not consider them 'real writers' but do you think the authors really care when they're making good, steady money?"

This was a major life lesson for me (one of the rare ones not needing to be long and painful). In that moment, I got the message and it changed my way of thinking about many areas of life. It also exposed a part of me that I didn't like. I took responsibility for it and changed it.

So, let the scoffers fume in the mire. Just because they say it doesn't make it true. I know who I am. I hope everyone else here does, too. And I know that cozies are good books because cozy readers are fiercely loyal.

Fictional Cowboy

Registered
Reaction score
Although I do have some idea of the main characters when I start out, I don't do extensive character profiles on them. Much of who the characters are comes out while I'm writing the first draft. Then I go back and make notes about things that stand out to me so that I have them when I'm doing the subsequent drafts.

This is one of the reasons why I lost all of my fear about writing and the writing process. There's no one right way to do it. Every writer is wired differently. Thank God. You sound like a plot-driven writer rather than a character-driven writer, like myself. Neither one is any better or worse than the other. Again, it's just how we're wired.

Personally, once I come to know my setting and my characters really well, the story writes itself and I don't get blocked, stumped, confused or anything else. That's not to say that minor characters get extensive profiles created about them. I'm not excessive. Characters get a detailed profile if they need one.

Once I have a general idea of the type of characters and personalities I want, I start creating the world they live in first. When I know that setting and can picture it in my mind completely, I start full character creations. When those are done and begin to write the story, my fingers are a blur on the keyboard because I know every street and hiding place in that town and I know every character's personality traits and how they'd react to things. Naturally some changes are made to characters and settings during the story as I write but, on the whole, my characters drive the plot.

Fictional Cowboy

Registered
Reaction score
Excellent point. That's one of the reasons why I am so drawn to writing cozies. I love to crate quirky characters and settings. I'm not much into my novel yet (about 10,000 words) but so far I'm having a lot of fun creating this community. I'm also trying to keep in the back of my mind the idea that I'm writing a series (which is very new for me) and that these have to be characters that have staying power. In other words, characters that the reader will want to see coming back in other novels in the series rather than just "flash in the pan" characters.

Djuna

I'm writing a first in a series, too. I'm having fun and I'm really excited about it but I'm reminding myself daily to slow down and take my time. The first book is the foundation and sets the tone for the rest of the books in a series. I don't want to mess that up because my intention is to write a very long-running series. I don't want to stop at three, seven or even 15 books. I want to write a series that becomes so beloved by readers that it has decades of staying power. Not because I want personal popularity or fame (those aren't even on the list of things I want) but because, when I get attached to places and people in novels, I hate when they end. That's like taking your dog out to the backyard and shooting him! I don't get bored in that way. If all I ever write is one long-running series of the same book, I'm as content as a frog in skeeter territory.

I want this first book cemented on a firm foundation so it weathers any possible storm or turn of events.

Fictional Cowboy

Registered
Reaction score
I'm considering setting my cozy in the 1950's because I love that era. I don't recall any cozies that do that so I'm conflicted. I was born in the 60's so it would take a lot of research, which I love but, I have no clue how it would be received. It's not essential but it would surely add to the feeling I want to evoke.

Thoughts?

Fictional Cowboy

Registered
Reaction score
Haha! What genre would a woman detective and a serial killer fall under? Besides "Unoriginal"? :) Police procedural? It's more mystery than technical, although I do have a few autopsy scenes I created using some great books I got on writing that type of scene. I love anatomy!
Nancy

Nancy, it's obvious that you're passionate about what you're writing and that is more important than "originality." (What's really original these days?) If you take an old, formulaic story and write it really well, it will get noticed. So much of what editors have said, that I've read, says just that. Go for it!

Polenth

Mushroom
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.polenthblake.com
I'm considering setting my cozy in the 1950's because I love that era. I don't recall any cozies that do that so I'm conflicted. I was born in the 60's so it would take a lot of research, which I love but, I have no clue how it would be received. It's not essential but it would surely add to the feeling I want to evoke.

Thoughts?

I don't see it'd be an issue. It's old enough to be viewed as a historical cozy.

Fictional Cowboy

Registered
Reaction score
I've tossed the 50's era out while maintaining the feeling I'm looking for. I don't want to be pegged as a historical.

How's everyone else doing?

BfloGal

Lost in a plot hole
Registered
Reaction score
Website
barbearly.blogspot.com
I've tossed the 50's era out while maintaining the feeling I'm looking for. I don't want to be pegged as a historical.

How's everyone else doing?

Have you seen Diane Vallere's Mad for Mod series? I have one in my TBR pile, but I understand they focus around a character who is a bit obsessed with Doris Day movies.

Perhaps something like that could tie your contemporary to that time period. A 50s style diner? A character who dresses in vintage clothing? Listens to Rat Pack. (I love Rat Pack, btw.)

Fictional Cowboy

Registered
Reaction score
Have you seen Diane Vallere's Mad for Mod series? I have one in my TBR pile, but I understand they focus around a character who is a bit obsessed with Doris Day movies.

Perhaps something like that could tie your contemporary to that time period. A 50s style diner? A character who dresses in vintage clothing? Listens to Rat Pack. (I love Rat Pack, btw.)

No, I haven't seen Diane Vallere's Mad for Mod series. Grrr.... That was the route that I had decided to take. I have a character who is obsessed with movie stars from the 40's and 50's and dresses like them. I even had a romance planned for her in book three. (And I'm not big on the romance parts of writing.)

I know there's nothing new under the sun but it's disheartening to have an idea you're excited about get trumped. This has happened to me over the years. My least favorite phrase is, "Oh, you mean like in...."

I love the Rat Pack's music, too. Glenn Miller, Louis Armstrong, and all the Big Band and Swing music. That's actually how I came up with the idea for my character. I was listening to my Big Band station on Pandora and a song reminded me of an Audrey Hepburn movie. That got me thinking about Bette Davis, Gregory Peck and the others, which always leads me to the conclusion that, when they died, Hollywood died. So, I put my love for this era into a character and quirked it up a little.

BfloGal

Lost in a plot hole
Registered
Reaction score
Website
barbearly.blogspot.com
That doesn't mean you can't do it, Cowboy. Just that you'll want an extra twist.

And that publisher (Henery) might not want it because it's too similar to a book in their catalog, but that doesn't mean another might not want it.

Fictional Cowboy

Registered
Reaction score
That doesn't mean you can't do it, Cowboy. Just that you'll want an extra twist.

And that publisher (Henery) might not want it because it's too similar to a book in their catalog, but that doesn't mean another might not want it.

Thanks BfloGal. I'm definitely keeping the character. I'm sure if we looked some more, we'd find similar characters in a different series that came out before the book from Henery Publishing even. My character definitely has a twist. In fact, she was created even before the protagonist. I know this woman well. She may not be the leading lady of my book but she's definitely the leading lady of her own life!

I have every intention of writing the story I've longed to write for decades, regardless of any gremlin circumstances that poke their meddling heads around dark corners. :troll

Fictional Cowboy

Registered
Reaction score
To Theme or Not to Theme?

I would like your advice, opinions, recommendations, preferences, wisdom and rambling thoughts on something I'm spending way too much time overthinking.

Do you, as a cozy reader, or, do cozy publishers, expect cozies to have a theme? Does my protagonist need to have a hobby to create catchy titles? How about a career? Do cozies have to have a theme, whether occupational, hobby-wise or anything else? Can I just write a cozy without a specific theme?

I like themes. What's that? I'm invited to a potluck dinner to watch a Lord of the Rings marathon and have to bring food befitting the movie? Stupendous! But, when it comes to cozies, everything I know and love has been done. Repeatedly. I love to cook and bake. Culinary cozies are my favorites. I live in Minnesota and my series will be based here. Wait. Joanne Fluke already has a Minnesota-based, dessert-baking, red-haired heroine with Hannah Swensen who owns a bakery/coffee shop.

Fudge.

The problem? This is exactly what I envisioned 15 years ago, even taking notes on it. I just didn't write the story. I chose red hair because I always envisioned my MC to be a northern version of Reba McEntire. And what bothers me is that I couldn't get past the third book in Fluke's series. It became droll and Hannah's "romance" was exasperating!

I can't change the setting because I want Minnesota. My town may be fictional but it's the perfect location. My MC can no longer be a red-head without raising eyebrows if it's published. (Two redheaded cozy heroines in Minnesota?) The cooking theme has been done in a Minnesota cozy already. Yes, I put my own twist on it and make it "original" but, let's face it, it's still been done and would have that association. And I don't want that.

I love bookstores and libraries, too. Yawn. Been there, read that. How delightfully unoriginal. When I tried thinking of a hobby or an occupation for my theme, I became stagnant. Thematically, nothing interested me to continue for a long series (which I fully intend to achieve).

Then I had a thought. Don't worry, it didn't hurt... for too long. I can have all of the elements that I know and love in my series. Who said they have to be thematic? Who said it has to be the MC's hobby/occupation?

Different books in the series can feature one of the elements that I love in the book that centers on that area. One book might center around food while the next might center around the library, museum, or a specific hobby or occupation that someone else has.

One title will have a clever culinary title and the next might have a occupational one or one based on stamp collecting. Each book could individually have a theme but as for the series... not exactly. At least not a theme that constantly centers around the MC's job or hobby.

See? Long post. Overthinking. Analysis paralysis. Thoughts? Any advice that doesn't involve medicating, electricity or voluntary commitments that include interactive testing will be welcomed.