Finical February - 500 words/day, all genres welcome!

BfloGal

Lost in a plot hole
Registered
Reaction score
Website
barbearly.blogspot.com
No new words, but...

Talked with my agent, and no decision will be made on possible future books in my current series until May. Sooo, WIP1 goes on the back burner.

So I pitched my idea for WIP2 to her, and she recently had difficulty selling a similar book, so WIP2 goes on the back burner.

Also mentioned revising the novel that got her attention in the first place. Pass, so that goes on the back burner. (I need a bigger stove!)

BUT, another of my ideas has merit, she thinks, so am now researching and brainstorming so I can prepare a proposal.

Good thing I'm flexible!

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
:Hug2: BfloGal. That sounds so frustrating. I am betting, though, that your brainstorming will be brilliant, and that on top of that May will involve demands for future series books.

More edits tonight, and another 486 words added. Seven more chapters in this section to revise, and one to write. Was hoping to finish this section tomorrow, but I have decided to forgive myself if I don't. Worst case here is I sent my agent something that's still mushy and shapeless, which I still think is slightly better than sending her nothing at all.

JohnnyGottaKeyboard

Who let this guy in...?
Registered
Reaction score
On the rooftoop where he climbed when the laughter
No new words, but...

Talked with my agent...

BUT, another of my ideas has merit, she thinks, so am now researching and brainstorming so I can prepare a proposal.

Good thing I'm flexible!
All of which is still progress and part of the work of being a writer and should be celebrated as such!
More edits tonight, and another 486 words added...Worst case here is I sent my agent something that's still mushy and shapeless, which I still think is slightly better than sending her nothing at all.
486 is a respectable number, especially along with planning and edits. I hate to imagine what my worst case scenario will be if 3/1/15 arrives and I have no finished product (well, I will have some sort of finished project no matter what, just not necessarily...)

Did not quite 1k today so not keeping schedule. Double argh. And wasn't thrilled by the 1K I got down, but that's what editing is for.

Saoirse

Mi verkas
Registered
Reaction score
Website
erinkendall.wordpress.com
Hugs, Bflogal. It is a good thing you are flexible. I'm sure you'll hear good news in May. :D

Liz - There's still time, so don't worry. It'll be awesome when you're done.

JohnnyGottaKeyboard - I hate when that happens. But progress is progress.

On page 120 of the revision. The halfway mark. Unfortunately, something that has been nagging at me for the past two weeks has become a bigger problem. So I shot off an email to both my editors to see what they thought (better to find out now than closer to my deadline). I'm feeling pretty good about it now. :D

Ken Hoss

Storm Rising A Kelli Storm Novel
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kenhoss.blogspot.com
:Hug2:BfloGal. It's not easy, but then, nobody ever said it would be. Hang in there.

I forgive you too, Liz. :D Looks like you're doing great on the edits.

Not quite 1k is still a good WC, Johnny, don't beat yourself up. (That's why I'm here. :tongue)

Way to go, Saoirse! Knocking it out!:box:

Managed to get through my serial killer scene and back to Cal, and added 692 this morning. Hoping for more this afternoon. On a high note, I'm over 30k now!*

*see Signature line

ETA: Well, it was another good day writing. Added another 595 new words for a daily total of 1287.

Last edited:

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
Johnny, I am a big believer in progress over quality, especially in a first draft. Your 1K of words you aren't totally happy with is realy progress, and yes any flaws can absolutely be fixed in editing. Be proud of yourself.

Saoirse, I feel for you - I hate stuff like that. I try to ignore the nags, but damned if they don't always find me in the end. Good luck.

Fabulous total, Ken! And congratulations on your 30K odometer moment! :hooray:

More editing. Totally rewrote one chapter, too, which brought the word count down a little - -166 in all. Not quite where I'd hoped to be at the end of the evening, but a very sensible person in my house pointed out that my goal here is the best book I can write, and that I needed to remember who I was writing this book for. I'm not going to slow down my pace - but rushing it isn't going to help anyone.

Go, team! :e2cheer:

BfloGal

Lost in a plot hole
Registered
Reaction score
Website
barbearly.blogspot.com
Thanks for all the encouragement!

Was snowed in most of the weekend, so I started researching and brainstorming for the new series. Then wrote an 1839 word synopsis with character sketches for my agent, to see what she feels about my ideas.

I hope she likes it! And I then hope she can sell it, because I'm falling in love with this idea.

Last edited:

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
BfloGal, I think falling in love with an idea is generally a really good sign.

I did a little more editing tonight. -207 words. One chapter left in this section, and at least one to go back and write. I think I'll edit the last chapter, and then move on to Part 3. There are a lot of bits and pieces that need adding, but at this point I want to make sure I get one full pass through before I hand it off.

Eddyz Aquila

Noob Writers United
Registered
Reaction score
Just popping in to say that I'm glad to see the little MTS tradition with 500 words/day is going strong! :)

JohnnyGottaKeyboard

Who let this guy in...?
Registered
Reaction score
I didn't realize we were only supposed to be hitting 500 a day (yes, I missed the thread title, I guess). Unfortunately, I'll never get this thing completed by 3/1 only doing 500 words. I'm taking March off, but I'll come back for April and try to stick with the plan.

Did about 1k today which is slightly less than I scheduled, but I may be able to catch back up tomorrow. I'm sliding into the big shoot out finale!

BfloGal

Lost in a plot hole
Registered
Reaction score
Website
barbearly.blogspot.com
Still waiting on my agent. Realized that, once again, I wasn't sure how I should be spending my writing time.

So I pulled out some old stuff, a collection of puppet scripts I wrote years ago, and have been compiling and editing them. I might pop them up onto Kindle as my first Indy project, just to get my feet wet. (I have no illusions of getting rich on puppet scripts.)

Between yesterday and this morning, I've worked through 9,182 words and roughed out the cover image.

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
So I pulled out some old stuff, a collection of puppet scripts I wrote years ago, and have been compiling and editing them. I might pop them up onto Kindle as my first Indy project, just to get my feet wet. (I have no illusions of getting rich on puppet scripts.)

Between yesterday and this morning, I've worked through 9,182 words and roughed out the cover image.

This sounds fascinating - what are puppet scripts? That is a huge number of words to work through!

I read about half of Part Three tonight. Bits of it I just love. Unfortunately there's a lot that's discontiguous, or contradicts things that have happened before. So this will be fun.

I also emailed my agent, telling her I had a draft I could give her at the end of the month, but that it was a very draft-y draft. She was very positive and encouraging. I, of course, am still worried. :)

BfloGal

Lost in a plot hole
Registered
Reaction score
Website
barbearly.blogspot.com
Puppet scripts, Liz, are just the scripts that I wrote for short puppet skits we put on at our church. They were the things I wrote before I realized I was becoming a writer, and they need a bit of work. Fun, though. But I managed to get the first collection up on Amazon. Parable Theater 1 went live this morning.

Now working on Fun and Prophet.

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
Puppet scripts, Liz, are just the scripts that I wrote for short puppet skits we put on at our church. They were the things I wrote before I realized I was becoming a writer, and they need a bit of work. Fun, though. But I managed to get the first collection up on Amazon. Parable Theater 1 went live this morning.

Those sound like great fun. :) Stuff like this is one of the reasons I love how easy Amazon has made self-publishing.

I now have a complete outline for Part 3, and it's not as terrifying as I worried it would be. There are two completely new chapters that need writing, and a lot of cleanup, but it's actually possible it'll happen in a week.

Plus I think I've decided to jettison a secondary character and his attendant sub-plot. I have it in the back of my head, in case he turns out to be useful after all; but for now, he's on the cutting-room floor.

JohnnyGottaKeyboard

Who let this guy in...?
Registered
Reaction score
I now have a complete outline for Part 3, and it's not as terrifying as I worried it would be.
Wouldn't MORE terrifying be better?:tongue

Good work though on getting the outline done. I've strayed slightly from my own submitted proposal--but that's half the fun, right? Today was a good day. Well over 1.5K and three characters dead. I may finish this with time to spare!

Saoirse

Mi verkas
Registered
Reaction score
Website
BfloGal - The puppet scripts sound cool.

Liz - RIP Secondary Character. Awesome on the outline!

Johnny - Straying from your outline/proposal is always a good thing, I've learned. Awesome wordage, too!

Up to page 180. It dawned on me that as of today, I have 8 days left to get this revision done. Depending how this weekend goes, I may need a little extension.

BfloGal

Lost in a plot hole
Registered
Reaction score
Website
barbearly.blogspot.com
So, hadn't heard from my agent yet, so I sent a brief, "Hey, did you get my email from Monday?" Got an out-of-the-office automated response, so I'll wait at least until Monday.

Meanwhile, I managed to edit through another puppet series, and Fun and Prophet!, my game show spoof series, should be live on Amazon soon.

Saoirse

Mi verkas
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Revised 23 pages last night. Closer to the home stretch.

Got my first negative review today on Fey Touched. Said it was boring and could have been shorter. Two stars. She/he also said the does he love me? Do I love him? stuff was too much, but I don't recall going nuts on that stuff, so I dunno. I'm okay though. I've sold 91 copies since December (!!!!!) and I expected I'd get a few who weren't nuts about it.

(I am a bit surprised how well I'm taking it. Months ago I would have been devastated.)

JohnnyGottaKeyboard

Who let this guy in...?
Registered
Reaction score
It dawned on me that as of today, I have 8 days left to get this revision done.
You and me both. Seven days now...

Got my first negative review today on Fey Touched. Said it was boring and could have been shorter. Two stars. She/he also said the does he love me? Do I love him? stuff was too much, but I don't recall going nuts on that stuff, so I dunno. I'm okay though. I've sold 91 copies since December (!!!!!) and I expected I'd get a few who weren't nuts about it.

(I am a bit surprised how well I'm taking it. Months ago I would have been devastated.)
I am always surprised at my reactions to reviews. I still somehow manage to feel giddy about good ones and shrug off the "not-so-good" ones--even though I know that makes no sense. (Actually, one of my first reviews of my debut novel complained mightily (and at length) about one of the main characters, but she did it in such a humorous way that I still sometimes go back and read it for a good laugh! And the review was generally positive...)

My favorite reactions by far however are the people who email me personally to say how much they loved a book or a character, or to say that they've donated all my books to their campus library and send me pics of the books on the shelf!
23 chapters to be edited in a week. Tonight I did...one. Well, at least I'm relatively pleased with it. Up 84 words.
It's a start! I'm actually a mad hare about editing. It's maybe my favorite stage.

Last edited:

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
Revised 23 pages last night. Closer to the home stretch.

:e2cheer:

Good for you for rolling with it - if you're truly pleasing everyone, you've likely written something far too uninteresting. There is, as they say, no accounting for taste.

:hooray: on the sales, too!

You can get through those edits, Johnny. :e2cheer: Seven days is lots of time!

I rewrote a chapter tonight, and edited another one. Got a bit longer, which was expected - up 977 tonight.

Go, everybody!

Isilya

Rogues, thieves, and knaves abound
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
So excited. 1211 words the most I've written in one day since.... since a very very long time. Yay!