Finical February - 500 words/day, all genres welcome!

Saoirse

Mi verkas
Registered
Reaction score
Website
erinkendall.wordpress.com
Thanks, Liz & Johnny!

Isilya - :cheers wildly: Doesn't it feel awesome?

I HAVE FINISHED THE REVISION. Now, on to the proofreadz. And then...it's back to my editor. 6 days to go.

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
Bravo, Isilya! :e2cheer:

And hooray, Saoirse! :hooray: Here's to happy proofreading.

I slogged through four chapters today, which included merging a few others and hacking away some redundancy. -1027 words tonight.

The plan is four chapters a night, and then a quick read-through Friday. I am really dreading sending this out. I have warned her it will be a mess, but I feel like I should have warned her A LOT.

JohnnyGottaKeyboard

Who let this guy in...?
Registered
Reaction score
On the rooftoop where he climbed when the laughter
You can get through those edits, Johnny. :e2cheer: Seven days is lots of time!
My mistake, this is the first draft, contractually due 3/1.

And now you all are making such progress (and my Sunday was a virtual bust) that I'm starting to panic a little...Though I suppose they won't start complaining until next Monday...So I have next weekend too!

BfloGal

Lost in a plot hole
Registered
Reaction score
Website
barbearly.blogspot.com
Heard back from my agent today, only she just got back into the office after being gone for a week and is still looking forward to looking at what I sent her.

I thought about editing through another puppet series but instead used my writing time to start brainstorming a pitch for that women in engineering contest that's posted here on MTS. My degree is actually in engineering, and I did take a workshop on screenwriting and creating log lines and such. Who knows?

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
You'll make it, Johnny. You have days and days! :e2cheer:

I saw that contest, BfloGal. It sounds like it's right up your alley. Not to mention, it could be fun. :)

I edited two and wrote one new one tonight. I should do another, but it's going to require rototilling, and I do not have the energy. Ugh. Up 988 tonight.

I read on Twitter yesterday that it's OK for first drafts to suck. Oh, how I hope that is true.

BfloGal

Lost in a plot hole
Registered
Reaction score
Website
barbearly.blogspot.com
Thanks, Liz--

Well, today I reworked my pitch for the female MacGyver contest. (I'd watch this show.) We'll see if anyone else thinks it has potential. I'll take it to my crit group next week.

And...I heard back from my agent. She was very enthusiastic about the new cozy series ideas I sent her, so I'll start writing chapters tomorrow! :)

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
And...I heard back from my agent. She was very enthusiastic about the new cozy series ideas I sent her, so I'll start writing chapters tomorrow! :)

:hooray: :hooray: WOO HOO! :hooray: :hooray:

That's wonderful! Here's hoping you are also kept insanely busy with your TV show. :)

I have decided I'm sending my draft out Thursday, finished or not. I need feedback, and it's not going to become magically more polished if I wait until Friday.

Ken Hoss

Storm Rising A Kelli Storm Novel
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kenhoss.blogspot.com
I've been off here for a few days and you guys are rockin' it! :e2headban I had to clear the "cookies" from IE and lost my log in for the site. Couldn't remember it and got locked out, and of course the email I had registered with is no longer valid, soooo. Anyway, I'm back! Not a lot of words this weekend, had a touch of the dreaded writer's block, but that's over now. Only added a meager 291 words so far, but words is words. Over 31K now, barely.

Good luck and good writing!

Isilya

Rogues, thieves, and knaves abound
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Isilya - :cheers wildly: Doesn't it feel awesome?

Bravo, Isilya! :e2cheer:

Thank you both. Saoirse it felt amazing finally getting new words down.
BfloGal the MacGyver contest sounds very cool and :hooray: for the new series.

1257 words yesterday!
On my way to over 500 today :D

Shara

Fix it in the Rewrite
Registered
Reaction score
Hello all

It's been a disruptive couple of weeks, with home improvement work going on, broken boiler at home and my head generally having too much in it to get into writing. And this morning my plans for a writing morning were disrupted by train problems.

However, still managed to get to Starbucks and get just over 1,000 words done.

Will be late for the day job, however, so better get moving...

BfloGal

Lost in a plot hole
Registered
Reaction score
Website
barbearly.blogspot.com
Thanks, Isilya--but still a lot of work to do before it becomes a new series.

Ken--welcome back!

Saoirse--the bad thing about writing is that proofreading does last forever. Not just an illusion. I think it's a time vortex thing.

Liz--fingers crossed that they'll love it.

As for me, I hit Chapter 1 running, with 1,113 new words. Might add another writing segment later. But right now I'm in puppy love with my new characters. Which for me usually means I'm writing dreck, but for now, I'm in love.

Did realize, while I was sipping my coffee this morning, that my MacGyver entry needs higher stakes. So I might take a peek at it, too.

Ken Hoss

Storm Rising A Kelli Storm Novel
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kenhoss.blogspot.com
No words today, it's my birthday. Spent the morning at a job fair, which was pretty much a waste of time, and got a bottle of Captain Morgan Black this afternoon. Now heading out to meet some friends and party like it's 1979! :tongue No worries, I'll either get a ride home or take a cab. Both are a lot cheaper than a DWI!

Good luck and good writing!

:partyguy:

Last edited:

Saoirse

Mi verkas
Registered
Reaction score
Website
HAPPY BIRTHDAY KEN!

Shara - I think you're right.

Up to page 40. At this rate, I'll never finish by Saturday. I have some family drama going on that's making it hard to concentrate. :( (Not involving me directly. It's my sister. )

Last edited:

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
However, still managed to get to Starbucks and get just over 1,000 words done.

Will be late for the day job, however, so better get moving...

Bravo on the words!

Pesky day jobs. Stupid bills. :)

As for me, I hit Chapter 1 running, with 1,113 new words. Might add another writing segment later. But right now I'm in puppy love with my new characters. Which for me usually means I'm writing dreck, but for now, I'm in love.

Did realize, while I was sipping my coffee this morning, that my MacGyver entry needs higher stakes. So I might take a peek at it, too.

Beginnings are really wonderful. :) I'm so glad it's coming so easily!

No worries, I'll either get a ride home or take a cab. Both are a lot cheaper than a DWI!

I hope you have/had a fabulous evening, Ken. We will all whisper for you tomorrow. :)

Up to page 40. At this rate, I'll never finish by Saturday. I have some family drama going on that's making it hard to concentrate. :( (Not involving me directly. It's my sister. )

Sorry to hear about the family drama. :( Real life can be exhausting. I hope everything resolves quickly for you all.

Finished the last chunk tonight. I have taken the day off of The Day Job tomorrow to do one final pass. I have mixed feelings about this, since I know I will find far more problems than I have time to fix at this stage - but I can't hang on to it forever.

I do like my ending. I don't know how the rest of the world will feel about it, but I like it. :D

BfloGal

Lost in a plot hole
Registered
Reaction score
Website
barbearly.blogspot.com
Happy Birthday, Ken!

Congrats on all new words and progress!

2042 new words for me today, although I somehow started flashing back to a character's back story already. But it's short, relevant, and I'm in chapter two, so it might be OK.

Tweaked my opening paragraph, which was OK before, but a bit dull. Hoping my crit partners won't hate it. I'm always nervous when I like what I've written, since I'm generally my worst critic.

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
2042 new words for me today, although I somehow started flashing back to a character's back story already. But it's short, relevant, and I'm in chapter two, so it might be OK.

Tweaked my opening paragraph, which was OK before, but a bit dull. Hoping my crit partners won't hate it. I'm always nervous when I like what I've written, since I'm generally my worst critic.

I will say on the record that I think a little backstory in Chapter 2 is a fine thing. And I suspect your crit partners will be very happy with your beginning.

Well, I sent off my draft. The whole thing kind of goes to pieces in the middle, but comes together OK at the end, I think. As long as she doesn't totally despise it, I can probably make it work.

Shara

Fix it in the Rewrite
Registered
Reaction score
Another writing session this morning and 1,541 words achieved.

I am on a roll! :roll:

There's some doubt at the back of my mind that most of the words at the beginning of the WIP will need to be thrown out in later drafts, but it's a first draft and I am trying not to give that thought much oxygen at this point.

Saoirse

Mi verkas
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Shara - Good plan. ;)

Liz - WTG on sending the manuscript. I'm sure your agent will love it. Thanks.

BfloGal- I have the same problem. I hate everything.

On page 62. Am not going to finish by Saturday. My editor offered to give me a few extra days, and I will take them.

Isilya

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Was on a roll yesterday but only got 258 words down...I ran out of caffeine
:gaah
Today Must buy moar caffeine!

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
Woo-hoo, Shara! :hooray:

Saoirse, I'm sure the editor would rather you take the extra days. The book will be awesome.

Isilya, a little chill ran down my spine when you said "out of caffeine." This would be a catastrophe at our house.

Early feedback from my agent was good. She likes my new characters. :) Of course, she had not yet reached the middle of the book, where everything goes to pieces and becomes only tangentially coherent; but liking the new characters is a start.

I did no writing tonight. My brain is fried. I know some of the things I need to do to fix this book, and in a few days I'll probably start on them. And sometime next week I expect to get A Big Pack Of Notes from my agent, which will help me focus. (She's really, really good at that.)

BfloGal

Lost in a plot hole
Registered
Reaction score
Website
barbearly.blogspot.com
Forgot to log yesterday's 559 words.

Meant to write more, but suddenly got stuck, realizing I needed to research details before I went on. And then there was this nap...

Isilya

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yesterday - 1438 words - Ended the great caffeine shortage...then nearly caused it again.
Today - 766 words.

Shara

Fix it in the Rewrite
Registered
Reaction score
Not usually in the habit of early morning writing sessions on a Monday, but I had one today and achieved just over 1,000 words.

So good start to the week! And indeed, the month!