What would you call this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gingerwoman

Registered
Reaction score
A novel based on a true crime story, not involving murder.

Like fleshing out and looking at all aspects with fictionalized characters, based on the victims, and criminal, and other secondary people, involved in a true crime?

What would you pitch it as to editors and agents?

Last edited:

gingerwoman

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks. Any other opinions? Jack Ketchum wrote a book like this based on the Sylvia Likens case that he classed as horror. It was horror. I'm not sure about pitching it as a thriller since it would be quite different from the standard thriller format. I wouldn't spend much time on the police side of it. (Book I have not written that is writing itself a bit in the back of my head.)

Last edited:

thisprovinciallife

hi! i'm reese.
Registered
Reaction score
How famous is the crime? If it's instantly recognizable by just a name, you could call it a 'retelling of'.

What genre would you put it in if it was just your story without true crime elements? I would call it what it is - psychological thriller, legal thriller, crime thriller, etc. and then say that it was a retelling.

gingerwoman

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks. I don't know if you can call an actual true crime a "retelling" that might come across as frivolous? It's not a fairy tale. lol

It would be psychological because what I was thinking of doing is fleshing out all these psychological aspects of the relationships involved that there have been hints at in articles on the crime.

Jenkki

Registered
Reaction score
It depends on the crime. An elaborate bank heist by a gang of expert thieves? Two teenage lovebirds on a cross-country crime spree? Creepy internet dudes stealing photographs?

Status
Not open for further replies.