Confused - what genre would this be?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sreeves2

Registered
Reaction score
I've been trying to think of what genre my newest project would be categorized, but I'm not even sure. Here's a bit of info about it:
-It involves a kidnapping and Stockholm syndrome (a phenomenon where the captive develops sympathetic or empathetic feelings for their captor)
-The girl is eighteen years-old
-Pregnancy comes to play along with the controversial topic of abortion
It's not a happy story by all means. It has a lot of psychological assets, and it's basically about a girl overcoming a horrifying experience. I'm not sure what genres this could even fall under, if anyone knows, please let me know because I don't have a clue.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It could be YA, or mainstream (contemporary) fiction.

sreeves2

Registered
Reaction score

It could be YA, or mainstream (contemporary) fiction.
Yes, I figured it was YA, since the girl is eighteen, and contemporary since it takes place recently. I'm just not sure if I should include anything else because of the dark themes xO

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Just because a major character is 18 wouldn't automatically make it YA, but it sort of sounds like it might be because of the issues involved.

sreeves2

Registered
Reaction score

Just because a major character is 18 wouldn't automatically make it YA, but it sort of sounds like it might be because of the issues involved.
Oohh because someone told me that YA depends on the perspective of the MC...thanks for pointing that out ^^

Amy_D

Awake in the present moment.
Registered
Reaction score

I thought 18 is a bit too old to be considered YA?

Status
Not open for further replies.