Where does Historical Fantasy go in AW?

greendragon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.greendragonartist.com
I'm writing historical fiction with a heavy fantasy element (a magical brooch that allows a family to commune with the Faeries and grants each holder in the family a particular magical power). Other than this element, the rest is pretty much straight historical fiction. Some love story/romance elements, adventure.

I know it's in the Historical Fantasy category at large, but where would that go here in AWWC? Historical fiction, Scifi/Fantasy, or Interstitial?

greendragon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.greendragonartist.com
I don't know if it makes much difference, but other than a few vivid dreams, the fantasy element doesn't come into play until the book is a quarter through. Therefore, the first chunk reads like straight historical fiction.

amergina

Pittsburgh Strong
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annazabo.com
I guess it depends on what you're looking for and what part of the book?

If you want to talk about the history or get comments in SYW on the first part, then maybe Historical Fiction is the right place.

If you want to talk about how well the fantastic elements work or blend in with the historical ones or want comments in SYW on the parts with fantasy elements, then SF/F is probably better.

Here is fine, too, but it's not nearly was well populated.

There's nothing that says you have to stick with just one section of AW when talking about your work. ;)

CrastersBabies

Burninator!
Registered
Reaction score
I write epic fantasy. I visit SFF. I also visit historical fiction. Literary fiction. Basic Writing Questions. YA. Urban Fantasy.

Etc.
etc.

Marlys

Resist. Love. Go outside.
Registered
Reaction score
I agree with amergina: post in the section most relevant to the part you want help with. Also, if you post several bits in Historical and then go to SFF for the next, it might be a good idea to include links to earlier posts in case critters want to catch up.

But for what it's worth, I rarely navigate this site by section. I almost always click "New Posts," and I'm probably not the only one.