The Old Farts Bar, Grill and Infirmary

Status
Not open for further replies.

Susie

Thanks, special friend for my avi!
Registered
Reaction score
Not me, verny, I don't think you look a day over 30! :D *Sends :Cake:s to you 'n all. Hope your birthday was super duper. Keep celebratin', k. :e2grouphu

JoeBear

Thick-skinned, but I shoot back.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
:Ssh:

What is it they keep saying on AW? Show, don't tell?

Yeah. That's it.

:D
If I was a former U.S. Representative from New York with a Twitter account, I might; alas, I'm just a simple ol' country boy.

Chase

It Takes All of Us to End Racism
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Quebec explosion

You okay, Porter? News of happenings in the east always gets to the "left coast" slowly, but I'm seeing an explosion and fire in Quebec. I hope Moose Rapids isn't close to the plant that went up.

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
Does eye bleach work to unsee things that have been seen? (or is that scene?)
128768001798429925.jpg

JoeBear

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yesterday afternoon, an adult doe (white-tail) was lying in the back yard, about 130' from the house, 30' from the tree line. A little odd for here. At the beginning of dusk, she was still there. 30 minutes later, at dark, and again before midnight, I shined a spotlight and saw a retinal reflection, but further back; thought she had moved.

This morning, she wasn't there. I walked back to see if there were clues to her odd behavior. A fawn, rid of its spots, but obviously a child of last spring was lying in the spot from which I saw the eye reflection at night. The fawn was lying in high, dry weeds close to the old stock fencing at the tree line. Went back at 10:30 this morning to take pictures, enthralled with the excellence in camouflage and being a nature photographer at heart. As I stepped within three feet to take a picture, the fawn took its last breaths amid light convulsions and lay still with its head and neck contorted.

Aware that it could have died from pneumonia, given the local weather and temperatures, but also from present, albeit not prevalent, rabies, I didn't attempt to revive it. I didn't want to bring possible rabies into this house. Rabies can be contracted from the saliva of a stricken animal, especially since the virus can live for months in cool weather. I revisited the fawn two hours later and confirmed it is dead.

Apparently, the doe was aware that the fawn was failing but didn't leave it until dusk last night. When I first saw the live fawn this morning, I thought maybe momma left it in a safe spot for a while since this is rutting season for white tail locally. Does always stand or lay some distance away from fawns except for milking sessions. I visited the fawn about two hours earlier than I planned to take the pictures and I'm glad I did - no one should die alone. At least its brother was there with it.

It was a sad morning but this has happened to me before - with two humans. One, my mother-in-law died shortly after I visited her; I was the only person she had smiled at for weeks. On another occasion, I visited a friend with another mutual friend in a local hospice. Mac smiled at me, but at no one else for several days, and he died that night.

No one should die alone.

PorterStarrByrd

nutruring tomorrows criminals today
Registered
Reaction score
Well we might have lost a tree or two but not many other kinds of plants in the area. I'm in Mayne now and will be for about three weeks. All you vets out there should check ouy themilitarywallet.com and remember we have two vet's days for a lot of the places with vet freebees.

If you have a Buggaboo Creek franchise in the area they have free burger and fries plus drink, but aren't on the list. (That's at least you JB)

JoeBear

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Well we might have lost a tree or two but not many other kinds of plants in the area. I'm in Mayne now and will be for about three weeks. All you vets out there should check ouy themilitarywallet.com and remember we have two vet's days for a lot of the places with vet freebees.

If you have a Buggaboo Creek franchise in the area they have free burger and fries plus drink, but aren't on the list. (That's at least you JB)
No Buggaboo Creek in this area, but then we're kinda isolated here (by about three decades).
icon10.gif

SRHowen

Erotica is not a four letter word!
Registered
Reaction score
JB a sad thing to find. I am sure the doe knew, and she couldn't just leave her baby. I agree no one should pass alone. Human or critter. I am sure the watching spirits saw good in you for being there.

Chase

It Takes All of Us to End Racism
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Vet salute

A salute to men and women who have served their country.

Vetsalute.jpg

Albany, Oregon, held a very well-attended thank-you-vets parade yesterday. Thank-you breakfasts are served Saturday, Sunday, and Monday. All you can eat free if you show a photo of yourself in uniform. It’s been fun passing the albums around.

JoeBear

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Remember when you were a kid and your mother would send you to the store for a quart of milk? You went and bought a quart of milk. Nowadays, the kid would have to figure out whether mom needed 1/2 percent, 2 percent, skim, fat free, lactose free, whole or acidophilus. Things is too complicated now.
Well...no. I remember when she would send me to the barn to get a bucket of milk from one of the herd. Usually picked Ol' Red, she was the oldest, but still gave good milk.

(Haggis asked this 4-1/2+ years ago and I had to think about the answer.:e2hammer:) Actually, I just remembered that he asked it. :drool

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
Well...no. I remember when she would send me to the barn to get a bucket of milk from one of the herd. Usually picked Ol' Red, she was the oldest, but still gave good milk.

(Haggis asked this 4-1/2+ years ago and I had to think about the answer.:e2hammer:) Actually, I just remembered that he asked it. :drool

I grew up in a city. They didn't let us keep cattle in our garages.

Got some KFC last weekend. Along with honey for the biscuits. Except the honey wasn't honey. It consisted of high fructose corn syrup, flavoring and artificial color.

Status
Not open for further replies.