Scarlett Johansson in "Ghost in the Shell"

robjvargas

Rob J. Vargas
Banned
Reaction score
CNN is reporting that Scarlett Johansson has been offered $10 million to star in an upcoming live-action production of "Ghost in the Shell."

I'm not sure the movie will translate well to live action, but I do think Scarlett can pull off the female cyborg role.

Opty

Banned
Reaction score
I thought we already had a live-action GITS called "The Matrix" a while back?

Maggie Maxwell

Making Einstein cry since 1994
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thewanderingquille.blogspot.com
Had to break this one to my husband gently. He loves GitS, not so much ScarJo. She's pretty much typecast now as the "mostly emotionless assassin" it feels like. I'm not surprised at the casting choice, and I honestly like her just fine, but I'm going to just wait and see for this before getting excited.

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
Although I like Scarlett Johansson, I have a strong and negative visceral reaction to any rumor of a Hollywood adaptation of an anime or manga.

Stop it, Hollywood. Just stop. Go home. You're drunk.

robjvargas

Rob J. Vargas
Banned
Reaction score
Although I like Scarlett Johansson, I have a strong and negative visceral reaction to any rumor of a Hollywood adaptation of an anime or manga.

I'm with you on the broader point of adapting manga. Aeon Flux, anyone? Ultraviolet?

That latter really pissed me off because I love Milla Jovovich in action roles.

Celia Cyanide

Joker Groupie
Registered
Reaction score

I like her, too, and I can't really think of anyone I would choose over her, but yeah, I can't see this being good. I think there have been some really good US adaptations of Japanese horror films, but not anime. Having said that, if I hear anything good about this, I will probably see it, just because I think she's a good fit.

Channy

Me Gusta
Registered
Reaction score
I also think she's a really good fit for the role. I read somewhere that she was offered $10mil for the role, so she was very much in demand for it. After all her recent action roles, and especially Lucy, sure it may be a typecast but I can't really imagine anyone else who would be as good a fit for it.

But, we should take Hollywood's anime adaptations with a grain of salt... Akira's been in development/talks for how many years now?