"Old" People Writing for Teens V

Status
Not open for further replies.

lenore_x

Registered
Reaction score
Website
laurenmhunter.com
I love bad boys. Bring em on! (I'm also currently writing one, or at least trying to.) But I always thought the appeal was supposed to be that they're bad to everyone except the FMC, so the love for Certain YA Love Interests Who Shall Remain Unnamed baffles me....

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
When you are recording parody songs for NaNo, you should not watch other parody songs sung by amazing singers.

cryaegm

Snakecakes
Registered
Reaction score
Website
enigmainklings.blogspot.com
Hi everyone!

I know I've been gone for a super long time. I'm kind of back, kind of not. I just want to post what I've been doing! I'm going back to school and halfway done with my first semester. :)

ETA: I need to write more, but that's what I've had to put off for school. 17 Credits this semester makes it a bit hard to find the free time to write (besides in my English class), sadly. :(

Last edited:

jtrylch13

Has semi-colon; will use it!
Registered
Reaction score
Hey Cryaegm. I'm sometimes back, sometimes not, as well. Depends on what's going on in real life. Welcome back!

jtrylch13

Registered
Reaction score
I don't miss those college days! Though I suppose I spend every free minute trying to learn something new about writing, so education never ends. :) Good luck!

Becca C.

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Cryaegm! I admire your drive -- I've decided that committed, organized higher education is just not for me. I just don't have the patience or motivation to see classes through. Ah well, I finished mandatory schooling, that's all that really counts!

I went to a writer's festival event today. Emma Donoghue (author of ROOM) and Sarah Waters, one of my favourite writers. It was a lot of fun. Got my copy of Waters' latest book signed, asked her if it had been optioned for film or television yet (not yet, but when she gets back to London she has some meetings lined up to discuss it), and found out that Emma Donoghue penned the screenplay for her own book, ROOM, and it's currently filming in Toronto. Eek! Can't wait to see it as a movie. Has anyone else read it?

Ellaroni

Registered
Reaction score
found out that Emma Donoghue penned the screenplay for her own book, ROOM, and it's currently filming in Toronto. Eek! Can't wait to see it as a movie. Has anyone else read it?

ROOM was brilliant. The wee little narrator was unexpectedly convincing. I read it around the time the Fritzl-case came to light, and I had just had my first baby, so I was thoroughly shook by Donoghue's book.

The_Ink_Goddess

we're gonna make it out of the fire
Registered
Reaction score
Hi Cryaegm! I admire your drive -- I've decided that committed, organized higher education is just not for me. I just don't have the patience or motivation to see classes through. Ah well, I finished mandatory schooling, that's all that really counts!

I went to a writer's festival event today. Emma Donoghue (author of ROOM) and Sarah Waters, one of my favourite writers. It was a lot of fun. Got my copy of Waters' latest book signed, asked her if it had been optioned for film or television yet (not yet, but when she gets back to London she has some meetings lined up to discuss it), and found out that Emma Donoghue penned the screenplay for her own book, ROOM, and it's currently filming in Toronto. Eek! Can't wait to see it as a movie. Has anyone else read it?

I really enjoyed Room! I thought the voice was a little flawed and pretentious in places, and I liked it quite a lot less after they escaped Room, but intense parent/child relationships and sympathetic mothers are alwaaaays for me. I can't imagine it translating well to a film but I am looking forward to one of my favourite 'young' actress, Brie Larson, playing Ma. (A friend was telling me it came down to her or Shailene Woodley. No disrespect to Woodley but I'm glad this one went to Larson.)

SoCalWriter

Registered
Reaction score
My WIP finally passed the 20k mark! This is huge for me! I've never written this much or stuck with a story this long! Huzzah!

Okay...now back to work!

mellymel

Registered
Reaction score
Yay, Paint and Christabelle! Great numbers and achievements!

I recently hit the half-way mark on my contemporary. If I could just stop cheating on my WIP with other WIPs, I'd be in great shape. Sigh.

Last edited:

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Yay, Red! Keep going! You too, Christa and Mel.

I want to get to the end of this scene for H/V2, so that I can start NaNo at a scene break. Then I will plan to edit this short story for a magazine for the rest of the week, so that it can be done before NaNo starts, hopefully. Oh, and recording the NaNo parody song would be good before the 1st too.

Christabelle

Registered
Reaction score
I reached my best writing word count in ages today:
2,285. Not huge but for me, that's impressive. :)

Red and Melly, keep up the great work! Have fun with your song, Sage!!

Smiley0501

Lurker, now activated. :-)
Registered
Reaction score
I haven't read Room yet. I always try to pick it up but I think it always may be the 'wrong' time for me as a reader. Some books just click at the right time, ya know?

Sage, good luck with your song. Yay for Melly and Christabelle for keep on keeping on :D

I'm sorry I haven't been here in a while. Last week I got sick :( and then this weekend was the Book Festival in town. I volunteer every year. Lots of fun but lots of standing on my feet.

I also did some free-writing for my main character. I was having trouble understanding one of her subplot viewpoints (like why she was so upset with her sister). I did some free-writing and it SO helped. I opened up a new document, fresh and blank and clean, and just WROTE. Now incorporating that into the real text :)

KSavoie

Registered
Reaction score
Website
undergradtoauthor.blogspot.com
cryaegm - Welcome back-ish! haha

Finally going to have internet back in a few days! Super excited about that haha. I start a new job these week, and I'm totally nervous! I mean, I'm excited, but a new job!?

Congrats to everyone on their writing achievements!!

Becca C.

Registered
Reaction score
Beth, Emma Donoghue said they're doing a lot of camera POV shots to get inside the head of Jack, the little boy, and more of the movie will be from the mom's POV. It sounds like it's going to be really intense.

I haven't read Room yet. I always try to pick it up but I think it always may be the 'wrong' time for me as a reader. Some books just click at the right time, ya know?

Sage, good luck with your song. Yay for Melly and Christabelle for keep on keeping on :D

I'm sorry I haven't been here in a while. Last week I got sick :( and then this weekend was the Book Festival in town. I volunteer every year. Lots of fun but lots of standing on my feet.

I also did some free-writing for my main character. I was having trouble understanding one of her subplot viewpoints (like why she was so upset with her sister). I did some free-writing and it SO helped. I opened up a new document, fresh and blank and clean, and just WROTE. Now incorporating that into the real text :)

I hope the festival was awesome!

Free writing is something I've always thought of trying, but never done. I kind of have a hard time divorcing myself from writing experiments. Like, once I write it, it exists and it's permanent. I can't really erase something from my head once I figure out it doesn't work. If I've written it, it's there and it's incontrovertible.

I think I'm going to try a free-write from the mom's POV in my new WIP. She's an escapee of the FLDS and I'm having some trouble sorting out her backstory and motivation, so I think if I write this as a speech she could theoretically do, explaining herself to an audience at some kind of human rights convention or something, that would help a lot.

Hapax Legomenon

Registered
Reaction score
Okay, I've finally gotten a new phone and finally gotten iOS 8. I wonder if I'll actually be able to write on my phone with the new 3rd party keyboards? I just downloaded SwiftKey... any recommendations?

Becca C.

Registered
Reaction score
Hit 30k on the WIP! Makes it about 2k in two days, since picking it up again. Pretty good, considering it was on hold for like two months while I revised MAYBE IN PARIS.

jtrylch13

Registered
Reaction score
I've never really tried free writing exactly. I keep notebooks of ideas and research pertaining to a novel I'm writing, so kind of free writing. I think I might try it for the novel I'm going to start soon. It's going to be a re-telling or maybe inspired by classic lit, so I'd like to get inside "my" characters as opposed to who they are in their original form.

I just received another full request this morning, and before I could even finish texting hubby about how excited I am, said agent emailed back saying he didn't really mean to send that email. He's back from vay-cay and swamped and made a mistake. I'm not really mad, because everyone makes mistakes, but seriously?! I hope he realizes the intense heart wrenching effects something like this has on an author.

mellymel

Registered
Reaction score
ugh. Jt, that is so $hitty! I mean, I know mistakes do happen, but that's kinda like when people play that mean trick where they buy someone a lottery ticket with last weeks winning numbers and make them think they won, only to pull the rug out from under them when they realize it's a joke. Ugh. Boooooo. Sorry. :(

Christabelle

Registered
Reaction score
Oh that sucks! I don't really care that he was on vay-cay or nor, he needs to do better about checking who he's sending messages to. It's not like he was sending a mass mailing and you just happened to get tacked on. Ugh! I'd be pretty upset about that. :( Heck, I'm upset for you!!!!

jtrylch13

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks guys! I'm trying to stay positive because querying makes me feel pretty shitty most of the time anyway. At least this was a form rejection with some pizzazz. If you can call it that. :)

Ellaroni

Registered
Reaction score
Aw, jtrylch13, that's too bad. I would have been mad at the agent for a few moments and then grabbed a chocolate to avoid getting too sad.

Status
Not open for further replies.