The Wardrobe

PrincessofPersia

Registered
Reaction score
Hmmm yes I read the first harry potter shortly before my 11th birthday, and knew it wasn't really going to happen, but maybe... just maybe... there might be a Hogwarts letter in the letterbox for me... My parents must have wondered why I was so eager to check the mail.

I was in high school when the first book came out, and I waited for that letter too. :p

jkababy

Children, ready yourselves.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jkabay.com
I wanted a thatched roof cottage in the middle of an English forest. Fairies, babbling brook..the works. I have not outgrown this. Not one smidgen.

Ingvanye

Somebody moved the goal posts...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
query-blahblahblah.blogspot.com
I wanted off...

I just wanted to get off planet. I wanted to visit Arzor or Janus and then a bit later it was Pern, but I still look at mysterious looking wardrobes and wonder which is the one....

Fairies wear bOOts:)

Sparkling dust.
Registered
Reaction score
I wanted to be a princess. I wished to be a princess every single b-day when I blew out the candles... lol.

Last edited:

jtrylch13

Has semi-colon; will use it!
Registered
Reaction score
What didn't I imagine as a kid. I tried using The Force on a regular basis, worked on my ESP powers, dressed up like Wonder Woman (UnderRoos and plastic yellow rainboots), used my wiffle ball bat as a sword for countless adventures, roamed the woods in search of all kinds of adventure, dreamed of flying, going into outerspace, being a superhero, knight, damsel not-so-in-distress, commando, Laura Ingalls, gypsy fortune teller, etc., etc. I didn't read Harry Potter until the first movie cam out and by then I was in my 20's. I knew the letter wasn't coming, but I was really hoping my kids would get one and they'd need me to teach Muggle Studies! I guess I'll never grow up. Guess that's why I'm trying to be a writer, so I have a legitimate excuse to spend my time fantasizing about the impossible!

mscelina

Teh doommobile, drivin' rite by you
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Going shopping with Soccer Mom and Bubastes for fu
I always imagined that I could do magic. I would sit in front of my mirror and create spells and then watch what was going on behind me (because that was one of my witch skills, aided by the mirror) so my imaginary enemies couldn't sneak up on me. I played theme music on my little record player and took the curtains off the windows to make magic robes. Even back then, I always had to have the costume.

DamaNegra

Mexican on the loose!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fictionpress.com
I also waited for my Hogwarts letter! I even bought myself a "wand" made of "magic" quartz stones and would imagine I could do spells and stuff (hell, sometimes I still do because it's fun).

I imagined I turned into a horse, I imagined I was a warrior princess and that one day I'd be called to reclaim the throne. I tried to train my telekinesis by staring at things and trying to make them move. I tried to train my mind-reading abilities. I pretended to be a ninja, or a pirate, or both.

I also used to imagine I was a dragon (this was as late as jr high).

Right now, I still like to imagine I can perform magic, I still sometimes wonder if the people I'm passing down the street can read my mind, I still imagine I'm some kind of warrior in a fantasy world and will ocassionally crash against street signs because my mind is someplace better.

I'm 22 :D

Sarah Madara

Freeway stomper extraordinaire
Registered
Reaction score
I merged two stories together, I think. I used to have dreams that my sister's closet (because I didn't have a closet) led to a whole other room in our teeny tiny house that I would discover and move into all by myself.

The closet was a Narnia connection, of course, but I know this fantasy was actually based on another story I read, in which some children found a bedroom in the attic that was walled off, and they only knew it was there because of a window on the outside, or something like that?

If anyone knows what that story is, I'd be delighted. I hate when I have long-lasting memories that aren't complete enough to know where they came from...

Sarah Madara

Registered
Reaction score
Oh, and also, I fervently hoped that when I died and went to Heaven, I would get to be the girl on Voltron (Lion Force!). I desperately wanted Sven to fall in love with me. Whether we were cartoons or not in this fantasy really isn't clear anymore.

Parents, this is the danger of giving your children only a hint of religion. They'll run with it any which way.

And by the way, you Hogwarts people are making me feel OLD.

SaraP

You can't forget those you've loved
Registered
Reaction score
The closet was a Narnia connection, of course, but I know this fantasy was actually based on another story I read, in which some children found a bedroom in the attic that was walled off, and they only knew it was there because of a window on the outside, or something like that?

OMG, I've been looking for that story too! There are a few siblings, and one of them notices an extra window on the outside, and finds a whole family living in a secret part of the house. Is that the one?

Sarah Madara

Registered
Reaction score
OMG, I've been looking for that story too! There are a few siblings, and one of them notices an extra window on the outside, and finds a whole family living in a secret part of the house. Is that the one?

Definitely the siblings and someone noticing the window on the outside is right.

I was thinking it was a boy's bedroom, and he wasn't there anymore, so the kids discovered some sort of secret history. But maybe you're right and I just twisted it around in my head. My memory is so very, very vague. Argh.

Well now I'm on a mission.

Sarah Madara

Registered
Reaction score
I think it might be The Diamond in the Window, by Jane Langton. I'm going to read it and see.

Told you I was on a mission.

Last edited:

Archerbird

Nightowl
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

If anyone knows what that story is, I'd be delighted. I hate when I have long-lasting memories that aren't complete enough to know where they came from...

Must be more than one story, because I remember reading something very close to what SaraP describes, and it's not The Diamond in the Window.

Kayla G

Registered
Reaction score
I remember it, but I can't for the life of me remember the title. Grrr.... Now I'm going to be Googling all night long.

Ah well. The wardrobe I looked for held not only a lion and four thrones, but also time traveling Hobbits (yes, I wanted to find them SOOO badly it hurt) who liked to run around the universe in British Police Boxes, Mr. Spock, a few lightsabers, and a plethora of unicorns.
I was a twisted child.

Oh, and I never wanted to be the princess. I wanted to be the Jedi Knight.

Ari Meermans

MacAllister's Official Minion & Greeter
Registered
Reaction score
I, too, wanted to fly when I was a child. Truthfully, I still do and still have vivid flying dreams. After it finally occurred to me that it'd take the wings of a 747 to get little "Chunky Butt" in the air I started watching for veils of mist (fog) to go through to get home. There's just something magical about fog.

fredXgeorge

I heart sexy elves and wizards.
Registered
Reaction score
The two main things I wished for was to get my Hogwarts letter (I still maintain it got lost in the mail) and for Peter to come to my window and take me away to Neverland. Unfortunately he couldn't find my house.

Hiroko

Which of them was the machine?
Registered
Reaction score
I wanted the world to become a cartoon/anime/video game world. ESPECIALLY for Pokemon. I wanted to be a Pokemon Trainer. XD