Brief Hiccup in Service

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 42

Still out for me. A brief outage in internet land is less than 15 minutes. Almost 7 hours and counting now. When talking about outages, think of it like Freeway closures. Waiting 15 minutes for construction on the highway is irritation. When traffic is stopped for more than an hour, it is a major issue. Same for websites. .

Get a better ISP. Your ISP controls DNS propagation. Not us. Not our Host. Not our server.

Based on your IP, your Host is on a 16 hour schedule for non Premium consumer customers.

Because of the mirror, we were never actually offline. I'm so glad you're enjoying the mirror; aren't you lucky we went to the extra effort to set one up?

Deleted member 42

I couldn't either--all day--and then I tried restarting my computer, and it works now! If that helps anyone.

Restarting flushed your local DNS cache and make your computer actually check for the IP.

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score
Alas, the required spell has not yet been cast to make the .com version magically reappear for me. But I can wait. We ninjas lurk silently in the darkness. :D

Deleted member 42

Alas, the required spell has not yet been cast to make the .com version magically reappear for me. But I can wait. We ninjas lurk silently in the darkness. :D

It's actually the same site. We simply changed the traffic route by changing the DNS.

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
Dammit I'm able to link to everything without any problems, as usual, not that this helps anyone else!

If you're still having problems, as JustKia suggested above you might try clearing your browser cache, there's a FAQ for this if you need step-by-step instructions:

FAQ: Emptying Your Browser's Cache, History, and Deleting Cookies

-Derek
That link doesn't help me, as it goes to the .com page that I can't get to. Fortunately, I have Mad URL Editing Skillz, and THIS link goes to the .net page:
http://absolutewrite.net/forums/showthread.php?t=248935
It's propagated to about 88%.

At this point, if you're not having luck with .com, try emptying your browser history, purging your cache and *shutting down your browser/closing all windows*

Cookies won't matter on this --
I haven't tried clearing anything yet to see if that fixes the .com site. I'm happy with .net so far. How long will .net work?

I hear there's an Interstate highway shut down in Oklahoma, maybe someone should call the Governor.

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score
It's actually the same site. We simply changed the traffic route by changing the DNS.

With my lack of technical knowhow, all I'm hearing is, "We dug up the road and built a different one to the same place." :D

Deleted member 42

I'm happy with .net so far. How long will .net work?

We set it up in 2009, and it's been working since then :D

Any AW URL will work exactly the same if you change .com to .net.

There are five images that are misbehaving, three tiny icons on the Advanced Post form, and two ads, for a reason that I haven't fully figured out.

Deleted member 42

With my lack of technical knowhow, all I'm hearing is, "We dug up the road and built a different one to the same place." :D

We're diverting traffic from first street to second street, but you can still get to the library.

amergina

Pittsburgh Strong
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annazabo.com
Still can't get to .com from home. Have rebooted the mac. (Also discovered my time capsule and router were in a double NAT. Fixed that...)

I have Verizon FiOS as my provider. :-/ Have not actually rebooted the router, but it's pretty dumb, so I doubt that'll help.

Deleted member 42

Still can't get to .com from home. Have rebooted the mac. (Also discovered my time capsule and router were in a double NAT. Fixed that...)

I have Verizon FiOS as my provider. :-/ Have not actually rebooted the router, but it's pretty dumb, so I doubt that'll help.

Reboot the router; your router has a DNS cache of sites you visit. Just power cycle it, wait about 45 seconds and turn it back on.

FluffBunny

Disapproving plot bun disapproves.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Third burrow on your left. Your other left.
Get a better ISP. Your ISP controls DNS propagation. Not us. Not our Host. Not our server.

I'd love to. *sighs* I live in a no-person's-land between a small city and a tiny little town served by the wee sma' phone company of said TLT. My only other choice is Comcast...err...Xfinity, provided I pay for them to bring service to my area. I'd rather hack off my right arm with a rusty spork. Or a foon.

There isn't any cell coverage here, either. It's...peaceful. Serene. Miserable for online gaming and DNS propagation. But stand assured that I do appreciate all the voodoo that you do so well. :)

amergina

Pittsburgh Strong
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annazabo.com
Reboot the router; your router has a DNS cache of sites you visit. Just power cycle it, wait about 45 seconds and turn it back on.

Still no go. Rebooted the router (well, pulled the power, waited a minute and plugged it in). Flushed my dns (via the command line). No .com for me. :(

I'm grateful for the .net site! :)

I'm sure things here will pick it up eventually.

Deleted member 42

Still no go. Rebooted the router (well, pulled the power, waited a minute and plugged it in). Flushed my dns (via the command line). No .com for me. :(

I'm grateful for the .net site! :)

I'm sure things here will pick it up eventually.

We're actually affected more by the problems in Texas and Oklahoma. One of the major hosting complexes/server farms in Texas is completely offline. It's the hub for about a third of the U.S. traffic.

Plus the ongoing malware attacks on Apache, WordPress, and Joomla are causing major headaches.

JSSchley

Have Harp Will Travel
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jessicaschley.com
My outage lasted a super long time, too.

But you know what? I figured I'd actually WRITE for a change instead of procrastinating. I actually unconsciously kept typing in "abso" and having it autocomplete, tell me the DNS lookup failed, and then going, "Ah well. Guess that means I should keep going." Got almost 2K on my WIP yesterday. Thanks, guys! :D

Last edited:

Paris Love

What's up with the Orlando Bloom?
Registered
Reaction score

Based on your IP, your Host is on a 16 hour schedule for non Premium consumer customers.

Because of the mirror, we were never actually offline. I'm so glad you're enjoying the mirror; aren't you lucky we went to the extra effort to set one up?

:gone: Whoa. Got it. Hasta.

jjdebenedictis

is watching you via her avatar
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, hey guys, you're back! (Or rather, if I'm understanding the techspeak correctly, I'm back.)

I'm so glad you're/I'm back! I missed you, guys! <<*smooch*>>

amergina

Pittsburgh Strong
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annazabo.com
I added google's public DNS servers to my DNS list and *like magic* I can reach .com again. Huzzah!

Deleted member 42

I added google's public DNS servers to my DNS list and *like magic* I can reach .com again. Huzzah!

Just remember that you've done that if later Google has an outage; they're a top-tier DNS so they can essentially out shout any others.

milkweed

Abuses commas at will.
Registered
Reaction score
We're actually affected more by the problems in Texas and Oklahoma. One of the major hosting complexes/server farms in Texas is completely offline. It's the hub for about a third of the U.S. traffic.

Plus the ongoing malware attacks on Apache, WordPress, and Joomla are causing major headaches.

And this is why I use the "server" service that I use for my web pages, they have a half dozen sites around the globe to redirect from so they are not held prisoner by the weather.

Status
Not open for further replies.