JuneNoWriMo

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
Success! I just typed up 750 words of rambling rambleness, but it actually caused me to *finally* figure out my position in this social theory essay. Like, the essay question is comparing 2 theorists' ideas of the same thing, and up until about 5 minutes ago, I didn't even know which one I agreed with more. But I do now, so hopefully things will fall into place soon. :)

ETA: And I just wrote a 325-word introduction to the essay, in place of an actual outline. It had gotten to the point where creating an outline would've amounted to virtually the exact same thing as writing the introduction, so I saved myself some time by writing the intro. :) And it's meant to be a 3000-3500 word essay, so the word count for the introduction is spot-on for the 10%-of-essay rule. :D

So yes. I'm officially up to the "Write the first draft now!" stage. Hooray!

Last edited:

eternalised

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Website
majankaverstraete.com
Great job, Cliff! When does this project need to be finished?

I'm going to edit my paper today, and then submit it. It still reads like a ramble going nowhere, but I guess that's how all philosophy papers read!

Anyway, I want to get through another 13 page reading, study the last 30 pages of tax law, make some exercises on tax law, and then read through the entire book again, if I still have sufficient time. And, if by then, I still have time left, I have another 10 page reading for philosophy of law waiting for me.

I spent yesterday studying about 80 pages of tax law, and formatting the print version of my picture book, which is running a little late on the release schedule. Hopefully it'll be out soon.

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
Hooray, Pushing!

Eternal, the essay isn't due until this time next week, but I wanted to get as far ahead as I can, because I also have another major assignment due in 5 days' time... Once this first draft is done, I'll be able to just work on edits for both assignments, which will reduce my stress level considerably. :)

To that end, I got another 300-ish words written for the essay. Plodding along slowly... Not sure if what I have planned will amount to enough words, to be honest, but it's still early.

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
I'm up to about 1150 words for the body of my essay (plus 325 for the introduction). Unfortunately, I'm about halfway through my argument, and I still need to add 1500 more words to the body. Eek! I think this thing is going to run short by a fair bit...

ETA: Just added a note at the end of the Word document, with ideas for what to add to the essay to increase word count. So basically, instead of focusing on 2 aspects of something, I'll now focus on 3 aspects. And the fact that these aspects play into one another, but also can be taken alone, means that this additional aspect should double up the word count in those sections.

However, I only made the note instead of going in and adding the new text right now, because I think I'm calling it a day. I'm about halfway through the essay, and it's getting dark, so yeah - time to relax. :)

Last edited:

Pushingfordream

Writing about life!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.danielwallock.com
Goals:
Write 2 other things: 0/2
Write 10 new poems: 0/10
Get book to 2,500 downloads: 1,350/2,500 (UPDATED)
Get my submissions up past 100: 61/100 (UPDATED)
Keep Computer Organized :)
Be more healthy, walk more, drink more water, and go outside! Less work, more play!

Update

Last edited:

measure_in_love

escaping the evil queen's curse
Registered
Reaction score
Current Goal: Finish my outline with specifics. Right now it's a general backbone of the novel. The novel has taken a whole new direction so it feels like a completely different novel than what I started out with. I realized what I was working with was 2 different story ideas that didn't fit into one novel.

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
Just added 600 words to the body of my essay. Another 900-ish needed for the body, then 325-ish for the conclusion. Such a long essay! Glad I added more details to what I wrote yesterday, or else this thing would be way under the word count. As it stands, it might still fall short!

ETA: Added about 750 words to the body, finishing it. So it's about 150 words short of what I wanted. But once I've written the conclusion, I should still be in the right word count range. :) So yeah - still need to write the conclusion, and then the first draft will finally be done!

ETA2: And the first draft is finally finished, at 3237 words. *flop* That's actually fairly spot-on for word count. :) Taking the rest of the day off, I think. What remains of it, anyway...

Last edited:

Sam Argent

Rygel XVI
Registered
Reaction score
Wednesday I wrote 1100 words, but Thursday, I did absolutely nada. A fully formed short story(maybe novella, I suck at guessing word counts) popped into my head today, so I'm cranking that out.

VP_Benni

likes a colorful font
Registered
Reaction score
My Potato-Boyfriend just cut all my hair off. :tongue it's super short now. (Well... It's about the length of theirs... But theirs is considered long... But mine is short... *confused*)

Still just have the special ADVENTURE research paper to do now because today is the last day of classes for the term. :) Oh, I read two books the day before yesterday, and I played video games yesterday. :tongue Yay progress.

~Amber~

measure_in_love

Registered
Reaction score
reviving parts of my previous draft into my final rewrite- it's like a puzzle going on over here! But good news: there are more salvageable parts than I thought there would be :D

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
Just added another couple of lines to my short story statement. The story itself was a SF with comedic writing style, so I thought, "Aha! I'm going to mention Douglas Adams somehow!" So that's what I did.

Unfortunately, this means I'm about 40 words over the upper limit of word count for the statement... So I need to cut at least 40 words in edits, plus I'll have to cut from the story itself no doubt.

But eh - I now have a reference to Douglas Adams, which makes me happy. :)

Pushingfordream

Writing about life!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.danielwallock.com
Goals:
Write 2 other things: 0/2
Write 10 new poems: 1/10 (UPDATED)
Get book to 2,500 downloads: 1,370/2,500 (UPDATED)
Get my submissions up past 100: 61/100
Keep Computer Organized :)
Be more healthy, walk more, drink more water, and go outside! Less work, more play!

Working...

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
I just (finally) read the crit comments for my short story. I'd already been involved in the discussion about it in class, but they also gave me print-outs with their comments on them.

Overall, I'm pretty bloody happy with the comments! Like, most of the students loved the right parts, made the right connections, and where they did think I should change something, there was general agreement. However, the teacher's comments were amazingly clean! Apart from a few small issues of sentence construction (do I put "the" here? etc.) she loved it. So now at least I know I don't need to do very much editing for the story before I hand it up.

So I can pretty much just focus on the statement. :)

Lillith1991

The Hobbit-Vulcan hybrid
Registered
Reaction score
Website
eclecticlittledork.wordpress.com
Didn't finish my goals for the week. Not really happy about that, but I'm going to try to finish one of my stories for the week by tomorrow. My nook is coming with me to my cousins house while, the house is bug bombed and aired out. Hopefully I am able to finish it, or at least make good progress on it.

measure_in_love

Registered
Reaction score
When I revise my big book it's like a huge puzzle! I hope all goes well :)

Thank you! Glad I'm not the only one who works like this :)

It feels so daunting right now, especially since I'm adding new conflicts and finally figured out my ending. I'm trying to figure out how to introduce a character who is friends with my MC. When I first started writing this, I skipped the very beginning and basically wrote scenes that came to me, and now I'm putting it all together. Basically what I'm trying to do is figure out how she can be introduced into the MC's life. Any thoughts/tips/advice about creating character outlines? Thanks :)

eternalised

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Website
majankaverstraete.com
Progress on this month's goals:

Here are my writing goals for the month:
- edit "The Gatekeeper" (YA Paranormal Novella) and submit it
- finish writing first draft of "The Clumsy Magician" (lower grade chapter book)
- edit "The Clumsy Magician"
- finish writing first draft of "Grave Error" (lower grade chapter book)
- edit "Grave Error" and send to publisher
- write 20k in Ghostslayer (new adult urban fantasy)
- write 10k in Demonic Pact (YA paranormal romance, second book in the Angel of Death Series)
- finish writing research paper for philosophy of law (3-4k words)
- edit research paper for philosophy of law
- write 25 reviews for on my book review blog
- work on edits of "Drowning in Fear" when I get them back from my editor
- work on first round of edits for "Soul Thief"

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
Decided to take today off of homework. It was a much-needed rest. I'm still getting over the flu as well, so I was probably pushing myself too hard with homework this past week.

Unfortunately, when deadlines are looming, having the flu does not in any way mean I can take an entire week off... Maybe if I was shot in the leg, but not when it's just the flu. :tongue

Sam Argent

Rygel XVI
Registered
Reaction score
4600 words since Friday, 1k of that this morning. I'm doing the sticker progress on calendars thing, and I'm happy that I've only had one blank day in June so far. I'll probably edit today and write more if I have any strength tonight.

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
As anticipated, I haven't had much time to write for the past few days, but now that I'm settling into a routine, it's getting easier. So progress to date:

5k words on current WIP: 325 so far.
Complete short story: nada. Zip, zero, nuffin'.

I've determined that my mother sleeps late and takes a nap during the afternoon, so now I can take advantage of those opportunities to write. She's good about not bothering me when I'm at my computer (and God love her, she calls what I do working, which I appreciate).

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
*bangs head against the wall*

Okay, so I spent about an hour editing my short story and statement, and am now pretty happy with it. The head-to-wall part occurred when I went to add proper referencing to my social theory essay... Egads!

So, it's a 10-page essay, right? Well, it's been an hour already, and I'm only up to the top of page 7 for adding in proper references... The first 2 pages were easy, as I'd made rough references already (I basically just had to add the year of publication - already had the theorist and page number). The rest though? I think I've added about 20 references of the "It's in my own words, but drawing from someone else's thoughts" kind. It sounds like a lot, and it is, but the really annoying part is that this lecturer specified that we need to reference someone else's thoughts every time they are mentioned in a new paragraph... So yeah. I've got about 7 key references, a handful of one-offs, and the rest are re-referencing in new paragraphs... *flop* So I've been going back and forth in the document finding what I already referenced, and in some cases searching through a massive file full of quotes for some references that I misplaced.

Ack! I really needed a break, so here I am. I still have to get through 4 pages, plus do official referencing in the actual "References" section. *flop*

I really can't imagine having to do this for an entire book... Suddenly I have a lot more empathy for my Deviance textbook, which has hundreds of references...