urban fantasy and the query process

stumblebum

nope
Registered
Reaction score
My project is nearing completion, and as I sit down to absorb all the wonderful advice I've found on this site and others, I find myself wondering if there is anything specific to the urban fantasy subgenre that I should take into account while crafting my pitch and/or query letters.

If you have experience with this, or just feel like dropping in and contributing your two cents, please feel free.

Cheers!

hillaryjacques

Undercover, sort of...
Registered
Reaction score
My project is nearing completion, and as I sit down to absorb all the wonderful advice I've found on this site and others, I find myself wondering if there is anything specific to the urban fantasy subgenre that I should take into account while crafting my pitch and/or query letters.

If you have experience with this, or just feel like dropping in and contributing your two cents, please feel free.

Cheers!

Congratulations on nearing completion! UF queries, like most queries, need to concentrate on the characters, their core conflicts, and changes/growth. Unique aspects of your world/magic systems/creatures should be included but I'd encourage you not to give them more weight than the person or people the reader will be following throughout the story.

Good luck!

Wilde_at_heart

υπείκωphobe
Registered
Reaction score
I'd advise spending some time critiquing queries on here, so that at least you're not making any of the more common mistakes.

Otherwise, seconding everything in the post above.

stumblebum

nope
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks Wilde. I take it those are posted in the SYW thread?

Gringa

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks Wilde. I take it those are posted in the SYW thread?

I'll jump in. YES. Come on over....you can crit all you want but need 50 posts before you can post your own query (unless you become a benefactor)

See ya there!

danthony

Registered
Reaction score
Good information! I too have an urban fantasy novel I'm beginning the query process on. This should help out in getting started!