The Wardrobe

Joanna Alonzo

Registered
Reaction score
OMG, that's way too far back to remember...what did I wish? Well I always wanted to have a genie give me three wishes. I schemed and figured for hours what those wishes would be. I never ever settled on the best three. The last one was always, "I wish for three more wishes." But I always suspected that would violate some "three wishes clause" and negate the first two wishes.
Ha! This!

Ever since I watched Aladdin as a kid, I've always tried to figure out how to maximize my wishes.

I wasn't looking for portals when I was a kid, but I always wanted to time travel and show off my various gadgets and gizmos to people in the past and watch how amazed they are at my awesomeness. (I always wondered what it would be like to bring my laptop and a couple of DVDs - Tarantino movies maybe - and show them to conservative people in the past, and kinda go, "This is what the world will come to." Generally just freak people out.)

I also wanted to become a waitress, because I thought that waitresses get to decide who eats for free and who doesn't. I was thinking, "If I were a waitress, everyone gets to eat for free! Except..." (list of kids who were mean to me).

Also my cousin and I decided that if we ate a lot of chicken wings, we'd eventually be able to fly. To this day, during family reunions, the two of us still fight over the wing part of all chicken dishes.

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
When I was a kid, I was convinced that I would find something magical amongst trees. A forest was best - not big enough to get lost in, but big enough to hide and play in. I would make "rooms" in clearings and build pretend fires. Once I found a standing snag with a hollow just large enough for a small girl to crawl into, and that was fun in spite of the bugs.

Oddly, I didn't climb trees - I liked the roots best. One of the houses of my youth had a big oak tree in the front yard, and the positioning of its roots had formed a perfectly round, shallow space right at the base of the trunk. One day I filled the space with the nicest acorns I could find - big, unblemished ones, with their caps still on (important!). The next day all the acorns were gone and in their place were walnuts, pecans and almonds, all in the shell. I was convinced that squirrels, or perhaps some magical entity, had traded with me. I ran inside to tell my mother. She was noncommittal, but allowed me to eat the nuts.

I put more acorns out, but it never happened again. I always suspected it was my mother who traded with me but I didn't quiz her about it because I wanted so badly for the trade to be magical.

My mother is 93 now and to this day I've never asked her about it. Sometimes you don't want explanations.

Last edited:

lilmerlin

We are many - and get along fine!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gruy.biz
I had no time for daydreaming. I had more invisible friends back then than I have invisible friends on FB today. And I knew all their needs, wants, stories,... too. They kept me awfully busy. Still do.

BlueCloud

Word Maven
Registered
Reaction score
Website
barbaraetlin.com
I wanted a pet owl. And I got one, too: a hand puppet, who had every career and lived in every country that I could imagine. Who needed a Barbie doll when I had my owl?

And my first novel was about an owl, based on a true story.

taeray

storyteller. animator. artist.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shaolindiantales.wordpress.com
I dreamed that my yard was a giant horse field and I had one lead horse who was my best friend. I'd run around my yard pretending I was riding her. My favorite books at that age were the Black Stallion series and Misty of Chincoteague. I loved Narnia but my dad is a Oklahoma buddhist who believes in magic so I honestly believed there were fairies in our yard and gnomes in the house.

Underdawg47

Registered
Reaction score
As a kid, my cousins and I would take little bicycle trips on small country roads past the neighboring farms. I had always dreamed and wondered what it would be like if I just kept going. When I was in college I met a guy who told the most adventurous tales of hitch hiking and living the life of a vagabond. A year later I dropped out of college, bought a ticket to Houma Louisiana and lived a year as a homeless person and hitch hiking through the South.

A few years after that I had gone back and finished college, worked a couple of years doing farm work and rode a bicycle from my hometown in Kentucky to the Pacific coast in Oregon. A month after that I joined the army.

Deepthought

Think hard, often
Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
LOl i dreamt of being a pokemon master xD

Yeah, I wished so hard that pokemon were real and that I wouldn't have to go to school and that my pokemon would be able to do stuff for me so I would never need a job and so I could travel the land with them and become legendary through my hard work.

az shea

Copy editor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
aszanoni.blogspot.com
When I was a kid, I was so very taken with portal stories -- you know the ones, right? The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe for example. As a result, I spent rather a lot of time exploring the insides of the wardrobe in my parents' room, coat closets, oversized boxes and the insides of cupboards, hoping fervently to find a portal of my own.

Yep. I was a weird little kid.

What did you cross your fingers and wish hard for, as children?

To shapechange.

I think for a long time I still thought it would simply happen. Like it was a stage one had to get to.

Thank you, Mac. This is lovely.

So I wasn't the only kid burrowing through every closet and wardrobe to find Narnia.:)

Nope. If you hung out on HoloMuck, they had a wardrobe you could walk through. I think there were three portals to or from Narnia -- possibly all one-way! -- but I only remember two.

I liked hanging out on the ocean. That was where Narnia was. A little slice of it. I'd float down the river to the ocean and lurk near the castle.

az shea

Copy editor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
aszanoni.blogspot.com
I didn't get my Hogwarts letter at eleven. I didn't turn out to be a mutant during puberty. I didn't find out I was the Avatar when I was sixteen.

So help me, if Gandalf doesn't come to take me on an adventure when I'm fifty, I will be very cross indeed.

What a great exit line!

Truly... I think we all need to go on that adventure.

kdaniel171

Banned
Spammer
Reaction score
I was obsessed with Harry Potter books.
When I was 10 years old I used to draw a scar on my forehead, imagine
that the soda was a butterbeer and desperately wait for an owl with my letter from Hogwarts.

Last edited:

chaneyk06

Coming up with a better title
Registered
Reaction score
I used to hide from bullies on the playground and intently visualize a dragon swooping in to carry me off, and lightly toasting a few of them for good measure. After which we would have many adventures, and NOBODY WOULD MESS WITH ME.

Lazarene

Earthworm Jim in training
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lazarene.com
As sad as it sounds I always wished for a world to myself. From a young age I was more content with my own company than that of others. Eventually the wish changed to having a spaceship that would allow me to discover all the glories of the universe.

Ah, good times.

Artemissed

Registered
Reaction score
What a gorgeous thread MacAllister. I had a pet bird that came with me on the tough days - and a herd of pigs that trampled through the house. Searched for my adoption papers all over. Found my mother's diaphragm instead. Did stuff to it. My sister was born after that.

Ian_Else

Registered
Reaction score
I was such a Star Wars Fanatic that I fervently hoped that I would one day awaken to the Force. I went around as a kid and meditated, thrust my hands out trying to feel the Force, and would even speak as if I was a Jedi. I wanted to be a Jedi so bad and I did this for years.

Twick

Registered
Reaction score
Apparently when I was a preschooler I had an invisible friend named Jane. We were inseparable for several years.

At least, according to my parents. Strangely, I have absolutely no memory of Jane. The name stirs no vague emotions within me. Either my parents were pulling my leg, or Jane one day disappeared without leaving even a vague wisp of memory behind her. Sort of like Puff the Magic Dragon, but in reverse.

jannert

Registered
Reaction score
For years I used to fantasize that I lived under a large, spreading tree. However, this was a pretty good existence, and not at all a 'roughing it' kind of experience. There was a stream that ran past just inside the shade, so I had water. The branches and leaves were very thick, so I never got wet when it rained. Lots of good things to eat grew on the tree so I didn't have to leave its shelter very often. The climate was sunny and warm, so I was comfortable. I usually lived with a bunch of other kids, usually brothers and sisters (imaginary.)

Most importantly, it was the ONLY tree nearby. So I could look out and see anybody who might be coming my way. And they usually did come my way, because ...well, it was the only tree, wasn't it? So I got to meet lots of interesting people, offer them hospitality, and get involved in their stories too.

To this day, I'm drawn to stories where there is a person, or group of people, living in relative isolation and comfort. And then a stranger appears in their world who stirs everything up and tips the balance.

The Stoopidist

Registered
Reaction score
My own horse. After reading Walter Farley and Marguerite Henry, I was convinced I was perfectly suited for The Black or Sham.

Anonymouse

Registered
Reaction score
I wanted to fly. Under my own power, just lift up and float away. Two funny stories related to that: I had somehow acquired one of those propeller/beanie hats, and was absolutely *convinced* that this addition to my wardrobe allowed me to soar. I wore the darned thing everywhere, including to one of those malls with the terraced levels. I looked over the edge of the balcony and casually asked my mom, "Do you think I could make it to the other side if I jumped off of this one?" I don't think I'd ever been picked up and carried away from the edge of a balcony quite so quickly.

I also asked my Grandfather to catch me as I jumped out of a tree (just in case I couldn't, actually, fly, you know?) He, uh, side-stepped in order to demonstrate the laws of gravity. I crash-landed. (And yet it still took me a couple more months to come to terms with the fact that human beings simply do not possess the ability to fly. I was a stubborn kid).

DitzyDoris

Registered
Reaction score
Website
ditzydoris.wordpress.com
I dreamed about finding The Magic Faraway Tree to meet all those wonderful characters and climb to the top to see what was there :) I am still a fan of Enid Blyton.

Victor Ray

Registered
Reaction score
When I was very young, It was a ring, Green Lantern's, a genie, or something similar. As I reached puberty, I dreamt I had contracted a disease, (or perhaps a symbiotic micro organism) that made me functionally immortal. Youth, as a side effect, could be passed to my girlfriend, if I'd ever had one, just like an STD.

Last edited:

Lapidar

Registered
Reaction score
I was so hoping, that I had been exchanged in hospital as a baby. That in reality I was the long lost heiress to a kingdom (not specified...but biggish and more or less sort of Elisabethan). Unfortunately. I was a house birth.