XoLeIn GaEpRuXoMyRuEp

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tifferbugz

Doing Pirate things...
Registered
Reaction score
Did you fight back? With sharp or blunt weapons?

Next time I'll go in prepared. She tricked me into not bringing weapons because she's so well disguised. High heels, all shiny and dressy and perky and pretty. Looks like a trophy wife (in a good way). Then she pulls out the elbows and shit gets real.

Midian

My sarcasm got the better of me.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
inkslingereditorialservices.com
I meant more in terms of chronological feel. Clive Barker and Neil Gaiman belong to an older school of fantasy writing that had elements of horror in it and were more focused on how weird and messed up the world was, usually in 3rd person. Laurell K. Hamilton and Jim Butcher are more fast paced, action-y, first person stories that also focus somewhat on investigative methodology.

I was just responding to another thread and thought of you. I think the distinction you might be looking for is character driven vs. plot driven.

Neil Gaiman and Clive Barker are both heavily character driven and Jim Butcher and LKH are plot driven.

Shoeless

Registered
Reaction score
Neil Gaiman and Clive Barker are both heavily character driven and Jim Butcher and LKH are plot driven.

That could be it, yeah, actually.

Although now that I actually stop and think about it, it seems a bit weird that the 3rd person writers would be considered more character-based and the 1st person more plot. It seems like you'd pick 1st person precisely because of the character intimacy.

Midian

Registered
Reaction score
Website
That could be it, yeah, actually.

Although now that I actually stop and think about it, it seems a bit weird that the 3rd person writers would be considered more character-based and the 1st person more plot. It seems like you'd pick 1st person precisely because of the character intimacy.

I actually find 1st person to be very limiting and quite distancing. I know I'm in the minority on that but to me, it makes perfect sense the most plot driven stories are 1st. Because you're in 1st, you don't have to do as much development because the voice is a big part of that. So you might be developing a personality but you aren't really developing the characters as much - if that makes sense. 1st tends to be an "already in this well established world" feeling whereas third lends itself more to introductions.

slcboston

Pasture-ized
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I think what Midian is trying to get at - and if I'm wrong, I apologize - is that with most of those 1rst person stories, you already have your character established, and the fundamental issue of the stories is "What happens to X in this book?"

It is not to say that there isn't character development. Good writers tend to tweak their characters as they go along in a series, but there is a certain amount of immobility inherent in a series character. It's sort of like a band that does one kind of music. If they have already put out a number of prior albums in one particular musical style, if they then do an album that deviates from that, even when it is a good album, there tends to be backlash.

The fans expect a certain something, and if they don't get it, they turn hostile.

Whereas with 3rd person works, where you do not have recurring characters from book to book (though obviously these generalizations about POV are not always the case), there tends to be more of a focus on character arc throughout the story, because that's the focal point of the story. "How does what happens in the story affect X?"

tjwriter

Emerging Anew
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kidscoffeechaos.wordpress.com
Hm. There appears to be multiple Cantina "votes" for the Bay City cyborg SWAT idea.

It's been something I've been toying with for several months. Especially after Pthom once asked me in the chatroom about Bay City police's responses to the various shootings that Kat and Mouse get involved in.

I'm seeing it as more of a combined Major Crimes Unit, Homicide, and SWAT team, with members who are cybernetically augmented. Investigations and tactical response to crimes committed by those persons who are more augmented than the usual BC citizen.

With a tone somewhat like NCIS.

So I guess I'll cover both sides of the law in Bay City

Hmmm. Should I wait a bit before I do Law and Order: Bay City 2042?

You had me at NCIS. *Sigh*

Midian

Registered
Reaction score
Website
It is not to say that there isn't character development.

Yes, definitely NOT what I'm trying to say. LOL! There's certainly character development in first and not all first is plot driven. But in plot driven novels, 1st or not, character development comes second to the plot.

CobraMisfit

I want to be Comic Sans.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Also, for the home physicists in the crowd, I conducted an experiment for you and no, the human kneecap cannot withstand a massive impact with the pointy edge of the shower door.

For science!

Tifferbugz

Doing Pirate things...
Registered
Reaction score
Quote.

BOOKED!

Sweet sassy-molassy....I love this place.

:D

Also, for the home physicists in the crowd, I conducted an experiment for you and no, the human kneecap cannot withstand a massive impact with the pointy edge of the shower door.

For science!

I hope science appreciates your efforts!

AceTachyon

Odd person
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.abnersenires.com
Next time I'll go in prepared. She tricked me into not bringing weapons because she's so well disguised. High heels, all shiny and dressy and perky and pretty. Looks like a trophy wife (in a good way). Then she pulls out the elbows and shit gets real.
Next time you get disarmed before going in, get to her high heels first. They can be used as stabbing weapons.

zanzjan

killin' all teh werds
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
VPX
VPXI
Registered
Reaction score
So, brace yourselves.

Wow.

Although, if it makes you feel any better to know some of us profit from your hell, I had five minutes to write a poem for my poetry class tonight and I wrote one about breaking up with someone oblivious. So, y'know, thanks :)

So, I have a coworker who is about three months pregnant.

Her first, I assume?

oh my gawsh! The manmade river, with ducks!! is right off my patio, and there is a young willow (not old man willow, you understand) growing on the banks of the river.

Yay for awesome apartment!

ouch?

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Zan, Imma gonna need a copy of that poem. ;)

CAMueller

Part-time ninja
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.vampirebookclub.net
Her first, I assume?

Yes. Every morning I get a new question. Some days they make sense. Other days, not so much.

I did like that she was certain an epidural meant zero pain at any point during delivery. She said she'd just have them give her a shot as soon as she got to the hospital and bypass the whole contractions thing. (Yes, she was serious.)

zanzjan

killin' all teh werds
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
VPX
VPXI
Registered
Reaction score
Zan, Imma gonna need a copy of that poem. ;)

It's conflated a bit with some other relationships I may or may not have had, and a bit fictionalized. Also, I only had like five minutes to write this, it's a first draft, and I am a terrible poet:

Your feet
smell like cheese
and it kind of
turns me off.
Not a mild cheddar
or a baby swiss
but something European
with green blobs
and a warning label.
I find you empty,
lacking substance,
not even meager
breadcrumbs of self,
and when you whimper,
and think you shout,
I hear only vacuum
instead of outrage.
When you say
you love me,
I wonder what dreary days
you mistake for the sun,
what sodden ditch
is your passionate depths,
what curbside litter
is your red rose.
Your toothpaste tube
has no wrinkles, and
your tastes no texture,
and you call and call
and call again,
but do not hear the
dial tone in my voice.
You are dull,
and I cannot abide
your fickleness of reason,
your paucity of self-doubt,
and I won't say it's
me, not you
because it is you,
but neither do I
want to hurt you,
just offend you enough
that you leave me alone.
So I will blame it
on your feet,
and feet alone,
which smell like cheese,
and I'm gone.

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hey, I like that. Can you write my next break up? :D

slcboston

Pasture-ized
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It's conflated a bit with some other relationships I may or may not have had, and a bit fictionalized. Also, I only had like five minutes to write this, it's a first draft, and I am a terrible poet:

As a first draft, that was quite the awesome, Zan.

:D

Status
Not open for further replies.