The Flash (CW) - Possible Spoilers

dragonjax

I write stuff and break boards.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jackiekessler.com
I posit an alternate theory. Wells is not the reverse Flash, at all.

He's obsessed with maintaining the timeline, or at least creating a specific timeline. He's trying to make Barry into the Flash he's "supposed" to become. Therefore, Wells is doing whatever it takes to get him down that path - including putting on the yellow suit because he knows that Barry's nemesis will spur him forward like nothing else.

If he was like Barry, especially if he was faster than Barry, his injuries would have already healed.

At first, I thought they were going to use the accelerated healing idea to sell him being able to walk when he should be in the chair, but after they left him cut up like that at the end, I don't think so. He's got a bigger endgame in mind than just taunting Barry.

Barry meets challenges. He exceeds his limits in the face of them, so Wells is giving him the highest bar he can find in hopes that Barry will exceed it.

I agree that there's a bigger endgame. Barry has to live to make it to the Crisis in the newspaper from the future. Wells is there to ensure Barry does so. Is Wells RF/PZ? Or...

...is Wells older Barry? Post-Crisis Barry
?

AshleyEpidemic

Did you see my bag?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.soipondered.wordpress.com
I posit an alternate theory. Wells is not the reverse Flash, at all.

He's obsessed with maintaining the timeline, or at least creating a specific timeline. He's trying to make Barry into the Flash he's "supposed" to become. Therefore, Wells is doing whatever it takes to get him down that path - including putting on the yellow suit because he knows that Barry's nemesis will spur him forward like nothing else.

If he was like Barry, especially if he was faster than Barry, his injuries would have already healed.

At first, I thought they were going to use the accelerated healing idea to sell him being able to walk when he should be in the chair, but after they left him cut up like that at the end, I don't think so. He's got a bigger endgame in mind than just taunting Barry.

Barry meets challenges. He exceeds his limits in the face of them, so Wells is giving him the highest bar he can find in hopes that Barry will exceed it.

I'm going to white out this whole post so I don't spoil anything for the uninitiated.

One of my readers on my blog pointed out that one reason that Wells could easily in fact be Reverse Flash is because of the Speed Force. The more is put into the Speed Force, the faster all speedsters could become. Thus by making Barry stronger and faster, he would be growing the pool and making Reverse Flash stronger.

Even still I don't fully understand Harrison's motivations and it's frustrating.

How about the bit about there may have been two speeders at Barry's mother's death.

Last edited:

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
How about the bit about there may have been two speeders at Barry's mother's death.

Not too hard to understand.

Tachyons are an element of time travel. (They're pretty cool actually. They're one of the real sciences that came out of Star Trek, which was the first place they were named.)

They're basically a theoretical sub-atomic particle that exists at hyper-speed, usually considered faster than light. So, I'm guessing that there's going to be a trip to the past coming up soon. Barry will go, too, making him the red streak he saw as a child.

The key detail is that the night Barry's mom died, the water in his fish tank was reacting like his beakers did the day the accelerator went live. It had to be another dark matter wave, not just "lightning." Probably a younger Wells.

dragonjax

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jackiekessler.com
So, I'm guessing that there's going to be a trip to the past coming up soon. Barry will go, too, making him the red streak he saw as a child.
Yes, indeed.

The key detail is that the night Barry's mom died, the water in his fish tank was reacting like his beakers did the day the accelerator went live. It had to be another dark matter wave, not just "lightning." Probably a younger Wells.
Agreed. (On the dark matter wave; undecided about a younger Wells.)

The question is why. Looking forward to getting that answer as the series progresses.

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
Interesting observation about the Man in the Yellow Suit. He never said he killed Barry's mom; he said it was her destiny to die that night. That sounds a lot more like someone trying to preserve a timeline than someone truly malicious.

Diana Hignutt

Very Tired
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Interesting observation about the Man in the Yellow Suit. He never said he killed Barry's mom; he said it was her destiny to die that night. That sounds a lot more like someone trying to preserve a timeline than someone truly malicious.

But somebody killed Barry's mom, and it probably wasn't Barry...it is possible we're getting both Reverse Flashes in this series, though.

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
But somebody killed Barry's mom, and it probably wasn't Barry...it is possible we're getting both Reverse Flashes in this series, though.

There's zero chance of this happening, but it would be a great twist if they find out that neither of the streaks killed Nora, but Barry's dad really did. Yellow suit man only went into the past because he was supposed to be seen by young Barry. Even if it's just a case of dad aiming at one of the streaks and Nora getting hit because he couldn't actually aim at one of them due to their speed.

Kind of twisted, but no one would see it coming.

Diana Hignutt

Very Tired
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

Doesn't explain Wells' creepy voice at the end. My bet?
Both Wells and Thawne are the RV. Thawne is pre-RF, and Wells is post. Wells creates the suit and gives it to the younger version of himself (Eddie) so he can go back in time to kill Barry's mom, so Barry will become the Flash. Barry disappears and Thawne becomes stuck back in time...Wells then spends the next twenty years becoming smart enough to do it all. The problem here is why would you engineer your own time loop? Because Wells by the time we meet him is out of the time loop and if he was smart, and we know he is, has another suit ready to go...

dragonjax

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jackiekessler.com
Look at the actors. Wells is so totally Future Barry. (And if not, he really should be. Grant is clearly going to grow up to be Tom.) :D

Grant+Gustin+Summer+TCA+Tour+Day+11+WLpv6Y1oLDel.jpg

Diana Hignutt

Very Tired
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Look at the actors. Wells is so totally Future Barry. (And if not, he really should be. Grant is clearly going to grow up to be Tom.) :D

Grant+Gustin+Summer+TCA+Tour+Day+11+WLpv6Y1oLDel.jpg

Maybe, not impossible. Remember what Amanda Tapping's character said, how Barry was just like Wells...

Diana Hignutt

Very Tired
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The Flash returns on Tuesday! With Captain Cold returning! yay!

Oh, here's my blog article:

Why the CW's The Flash is the Best Comic Book Adaptation You Will Ever Get on TV

Spun off from the inferior, but steady Arrow, the CW's The Flash in only one half a season has perfected the televised episodic comic book adaptation. The show stars Grant Gustin as police scientist Barry Allen, the fastest man alive, the titular Flash. Struck by lightning in a storm of Dark Energy that engulfed Central City when STARlabs particle accelerator exploded, Barry is imparted with the incredible gift of super speed. Part of the show's success is due to Gustin's earnestness and the optimism the hero shows. And that's the second secret behind why it works. While it may be trendy in the wake of the Nolan Era Dark Knight films to have grittier, darker heros, The Flash works so well, partially due to the atmosphere of optimisim the permeates the entire proceedings. In the DC Comics Universe, Barry Allen's Flash is simply put, the most fun of the Justice League: he's not a brooding orphan (though he lost his mom at a young age), and not an isolated, brooding alien, he's not an outsider, nor burdened by his powers...he's just a guy with a good heart who can run fast, really, really fast.

Last edited:

M.S. Wilson

Registered
Reaction score
It'll be nice to have Flash (and Arrow) back; looks like we get our first supervillain team-up, with Captain Cold and Heatwave!

M.S. Wilson

Registered
Reaction score
Just watched the new episode...cool villain team-up and some interesting characters showing up, like (Jason Rusch; plus Lisa Snart/Golden Glider at the end).

Captain Cold was a little over the top, but gave it a nice Silver Age feel; Miller and Purcell still work well together.

Diana Hignutt

Very Tired
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Just watched the new episode...cool villain team-up and some interesting characters showing up, like (Jason Rusch; plus Lisa Snart/Golden Glider at the end).

Captain Cold was a little over the top, but gave it a nice Silver Age feel; Miller and Purcell still work well together.

I liked Wentworth Miller's take. Over the top, sure, but he's playing a comic book villain...

Lissibith

On target
Registered
Reaction score
I liked Wentworth Miller's take. Over the top, sure, but he's playing a comic book villain...
I really like his take too. And I am super excited for Lisa, though I wonder what tack they'll take with her - can't wait to see more!

M.S. Wilson

Registered
Reaction score
It kinda looked like she was holding a gun of some kind when the police van's doors opened...maybe another cold gun? I'm assuming she *won't* be skating around, like in the comics :)

dragonjax

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jackiekessler.com
Yay, Lisa Snart is coming! Yay!!!

Did anyone else wonder if Cold's gun was going to hit Caitlin and kickstart her descent into Killer Frost? (Yeah, I know: too soon. I'm betting that Cisco and Caitlin won't start their own meta transformation until season 2. But still, I had a moment when I wondered.)