Annie 2014

Stiger05

Registered
Reaction score
Really? I was kind of disappointed by the trailer. It looks cliche and cheesy to me. It seems more like a remake of Ritchie Rich than Annie. Cameron Diaz just wasn't doing it for me. I'll probably watch when it eventually comes on tv.

J.S.F.

Red fish, blue fish...
Registered
Reaction score
Being the grumpy old bastard that I am, I'm going to yet once again swim against the tide and say that I hated the movie when it came out and didn't care much for the updated trailer footage. Granted, it IS a trailer, but even though I like Cameron Diaz and think she has a flair for comedy, this ain't her vehikkle.

Liked the stage play, but I saw it about twenty-five years ago.

CrastersBabies

Burninator!
Registered
Reaction score
I thought it looked cute. I don't know WTF people are expecting in an Annie movie other than schtick and songs.

Lavern08

Sit Down, and Shut Up!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, How Cute...

While I'm not a fan of Cameron Diaz or Jamie Foxx, I lurved the little girl (won't even try to spell her name) in Beasts of the Southern Wild.

I'll definitely take my little Goddaughters to see this during their Christmas school break. ;)

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
Went to see it, and it was a very good movie. Quvenzhane Wallis is an absolutely adorable actress, and while I don't think that Cameron Diaz has the musical ability to pull off what they wanted her to be, she was great as Miss Hannigan. Jamie Foxx was wonderful, as always, and the dude can hit some serious high notes.

Be aware that this is not a remake. It's an homage. There are references to the original (one straight out of the gate), but this is a different film. Even in the musical numbers, which are staged as occurring in a real world in which people don't normally break into song, the words are different.

It's a really, really good movie. If you've got kidlets, or even if you loved the original and would like to see a slightly different take on it, it's worth your time in my opinion.

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
I have quite a few Afro-Caribbean colleagues at work and one of them, about my age told me that she had always been obssessed with Annie. As a little girl, they were producing the play at her school and she was ridiculously excited at playing the role. So on the day of the auditions she went to the hall all ready. She knew every song and every scene in the film. She was the best.

Until the teacher pulled her to one side before the auditions even started and said 'I'm really sorry but you won't be able to audition because you see... well ...Annie's white'.

Now she doesn't care if the film is crap, she's just glad someone had the guts to do it.

J.S.F.

Red fish, blue fish...
Registered
Reaction score
Not that Rotten Tomaters is anything to go by, but apparently while 60% of people liked it, it only has a 30% approval rating.

I saw it...wuz disappoint. Wallis is a charming young actress and she really tore into her part, but the whole thing felt, IDK, so staged. Yeah, it's a musical, but it felt totally mechanical, the setup for the next song, and Cameron Diaz, while I like her as a comedic actress, she really was out of her depth with the singing.

Granted, you only need to put it over...but she couldn't. The whole movie to me was a calculated attempt to modernize it. A previous poster referred to it as a homage. If so, it was a desperate one.

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
I have quite a few Afro-Caribbean colleagues at work and one of them, about my age told me that she had always been obssessed with Annie. As a little girl, they were producing the play at her school and she was ridiculously excited at playing the role. So on the day of the auditions she went to the hall all ready. She knew every song and every scene in the film. She was the best.

Until the teacher pulled her to one side before the auditions even started and said 'I'm really sorry but you won't be able to audition because you see... well ...Annie's white'.

Now she doesn't care if the film is crap, she's just glad someone had the guts to do it.

I haven't seen it and probably won't (was never a fan of the original), but I'm glad it exists for that reason.

I'm sure lots of people underestimate how meaningful such a thing can be.

phantasy

I write weird stories.
Registered
Reaction score

Wow that story sets me into all kinds of rage. And yet white women have been playing non-whites like Cleopatra for years. Not to mention that Exodus movie where all the ancient Egyptians are white.

Manuel Royal

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
donnetowntoday.blogspot.com
Wow that story sets me into all kinds of rage. And yet white women have been playing non-whites like Cleopatra for years. Not to mention that Exodus movie where all the ancient Egyptians are white.
Well, Cleopatra (I presume you mean Cleopatra VII) was of mostly Macedonian Greek ancestry, but probably darker than Elizabeth Taylor, anyway.

At the time of Rameses II (the historical pharaoh most associated with the Exodus myth), citizens of Egypt included ethnicities ranging from black sub-Saharan Africans (itself a broad category with a lot of variation) to fair-skinned Assyrians, but most of the population had been indigenous to the Nile Valley for a long time. It's hard to pin down a representative phenotype for those folks, but they probably had a fairly broad range of skin tones.

I like colorblind casting in a lot of theatrical productions. (I think all three productions of Macbeth I've seen had black Macduffs.) And it seems to me the character of Annie -- indomitable, resourceful, rising above the prejudices of others -- works perfectly as a black kid. Anyway, I can't imagine what that teacher was thinking about.

Last edited:

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
I haven't seen it and probably won't (was never a fan of the original), but I'm glad it exists for that reason.

I'm sure lots of people underestimate how meaningful such a thing can be.

Oh. Oh! Just so people don't misinterpret my above post as something it wasn't, I did not know this Annie was black until just now. That is pretty interesting.

Its still Annie though.

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
Oh. Oh! Just so people don't misinterpret my above post as something it wasn't, I did not know this Annie was black until just now. That is pretty interesting.

Its still Annie though.

There's actually a sight-gag about this built into the opening scene. A little girl who fits the usual image of Annie starts the film off with a school report, followed by a tap number, while wearing the "orphan-Annie" dress and sweater combo from the original. The teacher says "Thank you, Annie," which is weird, as the whole audience knows she's not Annie in this one. Then the teacher calls on "Annie B."

It's a perfect illustration of the show's strength and weakness in one go. One the one hand, it knows it's not the original, and isn't trying to be. But on the other, it also knows that it's not set in a musical world and is self-aware of the fact that musicals are weird (due to the drop-of-a-hat singing), which lets a lot of the magic from original-Annie evaporate out of the cracks in the fourth wall.

Alpha Echo

I should be writing.
Registered
Reaction score
I loved the original growing up, and I introduced it to my daughter who also fell in love with it. We're both looking forward to seeing it over the Christmas break. Not even embarrassed by it! I'm interested to see how they modernized it. The only negative reviews I've heard were about some of the singing.

cmhbob

Did...did I do that?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bobmuellerwriter.com
Wife and daughter and I went to see this earlier this week. I really enjoyed it. I went in not expecting it to be the 82 version, which is the only one I know. It was fun, just like that one.

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I've only ever seen the theatrical version (well, one of them, I suppose), when I was a kid.

I saw the trailer for this in the theatre and it looked abominable. The only reviews I've seen have basically gone that direction, so I wasn't interested. Interesting a fan of the original movie liked it so much.

It seemed so deep into the precocious, overly self-aware-but-not thing in the trailer, like the whole movie was Will Smith and family, writ large.

Manuel Royal

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
donnetowntoday.blogspot.com
Back in the mid-1980s, I saw two stage plays the same day: 1) Zoe Caldwell starring in Medea (front row; $6); 2) Annie starring whatever kid was currently blowing out her growing vocal cords in the touring company (about fifty yards from the stage, for, if I recall, $20). One of those was a real bargain.

Alpha Echo

I should be writing.
Registered
Reaction score
Well, took DD and saw the movie with my sister-in-law and 2 nieces. We really enjoyed it! It of course was very different than the original movie, but I liked the way it was updated.

My poor daughter sobbed near the end. She's seen the original several times, so she knew the story. And she knew it would end up "happily ever after" in the end. But man, that poor girl was audibly sobbing, angry at the lies she knew were being told to Annie.

I cried a bit then as well, and we all cried happy tears at the end.

But then again, my SIL and I both cried during the preview for Little Boy.

Myrealana

I aim to misbehave
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.badfoodie.com
I was a fan of the 80s movie.

Took my 12-year-old son. He really liked it. We danced around the kitchen to "Hard Knock Life" afterwards.