General anime discussion thread

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
He has some kind of sexual attraction to immature females, including his sisters (which is strange because early on he said only people who don't have sisters would have a sister-complex).

But more seriously, he's 17 and Karen's 15. That's pretty normal to me.

And Hachikuji is just... well, she's Hachikuji.

Dawnstorm

punny user title, here
Registered
Reaction score
The problem with -monogatari is that there's too much of it. After the first season, I like the OVAs the best, and I think that's because they tend to be more focussed. Or maybe that's not it, since the main series is composed of arcs that should be equivalent to a single OVA. Huh.

Antonin said:
The second season is pretty bad. The third was pretty great though. I also just watched that 5 episode season thing... it was okay.

For me:

Bakemonogatari: Mostly Yay!
Nisemonogatri: Mostly meh...
Bakemonogatari 2: Very uneven

Nokomonogatari Kuro: Yay!
Hanamonogatari: Yay

There's another -monogatari next season (Tsukimonogatari? I think it's a short again, but I didn't check?)

Frankly, my theory is that Araragi is asexual and thus free to joke about everything.

Alexys

Took a wrong turn at the Pleiades
Registered
Reaction score
"Tsukimonogatari: Yotsugi Doll" is listed as four eps for next season on one of the usual suspects.

LOG

Lagrangian
Registered
Reaction score
But more seriously, he's 17 and Karen's 15. That's pretty normal to me.

And Hachikuji is just... well, she's Hachikuji.
How is it normal?

Also, he still admits that he's attracted to them after entering college.
And then there's that scene with Hanekawa in Mayoi Jiangshi. That skeeved me so much.

Frankly, my theory is that Araragi is asexual and thus free to joke about everything.
I struggle to see how you think that. Please explain?

Last edited:

Dawnstorm

punny user title, here
Registered
Reaction score
I struggle to see how you think that. Please explain?

The show's so meta that only a neutral position makes sense. That, or he gets turned on by everything, which is also a possibility. ( I doubt the interpretation would survive a close viewing. I'm not quite serious, but it's not entirely a joke either.)

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
How is it normal?

2 years is a pretty small difference... being sexually attracted to someone 2 years younger than you is pretty normal. I don't see how being in college would make a difference.

The only weird part is that she's his sister, and that's still pretty normal for anime.

LOG

Lagrangian
Registered
Reaction score
2 years is a pretty small difference... being sexually attracted to someone 2 years younger than you is pretty normal. I don't see how being in college would make a difference.

The only weird part is that she's his sister, and that's still pretty normal for anime.
I would agree that it's a small difference while under the age of majority. I mean, Araragi and Hitagi doesn't bother me in the slightest, but Hitagi is a love interest. Whereas other girls are something else to him, something that makes me uncomfortable.

His scene with Karen isn't so bad for me one its own (save for the fact that I'm supposed to buy that brushing is somehow erotic), but as part of Araragi's attitude towards young (or young-looking) females in the series it discomfits me.

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
I would agree that it's a small difference while under the age of majority. I mean, Araragi and Hitagi doesn't bother me in the slightest, but Hitagi is a love interest. Whereas other girls are something else to him, something that makes me uncomfortable.

Eh? Senjougahara is the same year as him.

His scene with Karen isn't so bad for me one its own (save for the fact that I'm supposed to buy that brushing is somehow erotic), but as part of Araragi's attitude towards young (or young-looking) females in the series it discomfits me.

I get being weirded out by Hachikuji, but Karen is so close in age, and is also taller than him, so she doesn't strike me as looking much younger.

I guess toothbrushing is an acquired kink. :tongue

Let me introduce you to Oral Hygiene Bro. (SFW)

Last edited:

Dawnstorm

punny user title, here
Registered
Reaction score
Here's my top 10 anime for this year. This doesn't include ongoing shows of which two are contenders: Parasyte and Akatsuki no Yona.

10. Haikyuu: This is probably the most focussed sports show I've ever seen. If they weren't playing matches, they were training. All character development occurred strictly in the context of volleyball. It's the sort of show I normally don't like, but for some reason I found myself looking forward to the show. The show had a certain energetic charm, had characters that were easy to tell apart, and the matches were really suspenseful. Good fun.

9. Break Blade: I've never seen the previous shows, but I quite liked the show. Great fight scenes, stylish characters, and a decent plot. I'd watch a second season.

8. Tonari no Seki kun: A brilliant show about not paying attention in class. The titular character never says a word, while the girl next to him provides us with a torrent of interior monologue. For me, 2014 was a great year for comedy, as this top 10 will demonstrate.

7. Majimoji Rurumo San: Fairly typical moe romcom with a side-dish of ecchi, but it's got the sort of sentimentality that appeals to me.

6. Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun: This comedy lives on the character dynamics. It's a series of very familiar misunderstandings, but it's delivered with a good sense of timing and much style.

5. Sekai Seifuku: Bouryaku no Zvezda: It's a sweet little nonsense show about people trying to take over the world. Episode 3 is, for me, the standout episode, with our troupe being non-smoking fascists, while the opposing troupe being cynical powergrabbers who accept civil casualties (and it's all wonderfully low-key and tongue in cheak). Most of it isn't on that level, but it's just good fun.

4. Mikakunin de Shinkoukei: It's really just a standard romcom, but it's got a great sense of timing, characterdesign that totally hits my tastes, and a pleasing melancholy subtext over a shiny, cheerful facade. It's the show that makes having a dull and unenergetic male lead a plot point. I'm fond of this show.

3. Gugure Kokkuri San: Irreverant deadpan humour overlays a show full of losses, big and small. The show manages to be touching about people even while they're being very creepy.

3.a Isshukan Friends: Good god, I forgot Isshukan Friends. This is really #3, and Haikyuu gets kicked out. Makes me wonder what else I forgot. Anyway, Isshukan Friends, for me, falls in the sentimental, fun romance series spot, that's totally save but adorable, like, say, Kimi ni Todoke . It's not on that level, a bit less safe, for example, but that's the basic drive. (It's also the last thing I heard from Brain's Base. Since Durarara will be Shuka - Brain's Base spin-off studio - I wonder what will become of that studio?)

2. Houzuki no Reitetsu: Beaurocracy in hell. Combines social satire with Japanese mythology. The humour is smart and - when at its best - actually has bite. (It can be avarage to silly, too, but I don't mind.) Oddly enough, watching Furusato Saisei ~ Nihon no Mukashi Banashi for a while, has really helped me understand some of the humour here. A lot of the references fly over my head, but what I did understand was enough to push the show onto place 2 this year.

1. Ping Pong: It's perhaps the ugliest anime I've seen in a while, but it's just perfect on the character development. No major character ends where he started out. It's one of the few sports shows where winning isn't everything, and for large stretches it's not even the focus. Very good writing and direction. Outstanding sound direction. Best anime of the year for me.

If I count the ongoing shows, Parasyte would probably take the top spot; maybe the second spot - if the shounen fighter elements continue to increase at the current pace. Akatsuki no Yona would be somewhere near the bottom of the list; I'm not that hot on the recent development (and it's humour doesn't work on me). The show might well get better again, who knows?

Comedy is definitely the genre of the year, but sports was pretty good, too. On the whole, it was an okayish year, but then the last few years were probably exceptionally good to me.

Next season doesn't look to hot, for me, with the most likely good shows being second seasons (especially Durarara!!!, though I'm not looking forward to this as much as most of the show's fans) or stuff that continues from this season. For new stuff, there's Yuri Kuma Arashi (the new Ikuhara) and little else that catches my eye.

Well, wait and see.

Last edited:

Alexys

Registered
Reaction score
I'm not particularly enthusiastic about next season's new shows either. Given that our tastes overlap only coincidentally, that suggests the good shows are going to be pretty thin on the ground. The only non-sequel/non-second-cours titles that look at all interesting to me are Ansatsu Kyoushitsu, Death Parade, and maybe Yuri Kuma Arashi depending on what they do with it, and any of them could easily be a wash. Nothing else seems to stand out at all.

I got a lot of guilty pleasure viewing out of 2014, but the only shows that really riveted me were Zankyou no Terror, Kill la Kill (which slopped over into the spring), and Parasyte. Break Blade would have scored higher if it hadn't just been a re-cut of the movies. Psycho-Pass 2 would have scored higher if the setting's implications made me less uncomfortable.

Dawnstorm

punny user title, here
Registered
Reaction score
The only non-sequel/non-second-cours titles that look at all interesting to me are Ansatsu Kyoushitsu, Death Parade, and maybe Yuri Kuma Arashi depending on what they do with it, and any of them could easily be a wash. Nothing else seems to stand out at all.

If it's anything like the OVA, Ansatsu Kyoushitsu is going to be entertaining but nothing special.

I haven't seen Death Billiards, so I'm not sure what to expect from Death Parade. People praise it (DB was the standout show among the anime mirai project last year, by response), but I've never really taken an interest.

If I go by Penguindrum, Yuri Kuma Arashi is going to be both entertaining and exasperating.

To be honest, I'm hoping for sleeper hits.

Alexys

Registered
Reaction score
To be honest, I'm hoping for sleeper hits.

I don't think there's even much likelihood of those, but since you're into some genres that don't interest me, your mileage may vary. The summaries for Koufuku Graffiti and Saenai Heroine no Sodatekata don't immediately ping my "this is going to be derivative drivel" radar (or the "this is going to be stupid comedy without any depth" one), but they're in genres that I find about as interesting as watching paint dry. Doamaiger D . . . looks very retro, both in art style and in plot elements. That isn't necessarily bad, but I'm wary of it. Yoru no Yatterman feels off, but I'm not sure why.

Everything else seems to be a sequel, ecchi/harem, aimed at kids, derived from a source unlikely to produce good results (game, 4-koma, or 4-koma-like webcomic), or pings my "derivative" or "stupid comedy" radars. Or maybe I'm just getting too picky in my old age.

Dawnstorm

punny user title, here
Registered
Reaction score
I don't think there's even much likelihood of those, but since you're into some genres that don't interest me, your mileage may vary. The summaries for Koufuku Graffiti and Saenai Heroine no Sodatekata don't immediately ping my "this is going to be derivative drivel" radar (or the "this is going to be stupid comedy without any depth" one), but they're in genres that I find about as interesting as watching paint dry. Doamaiger D . . . looks very retro, both in art style and in plot elements. That isn't necessarily bad, but I'm wary of it. Yoru no Yatterman feels off, but I'm not sure why.

Everything else seems to be a sequel, ecchi/harem, aimed at kids, derived from a source unlikely to produce good results (game, 4-koma, or 4-koma-like webcomic), or pings my "derivative" or "stupid comedy" radars. Or maybe I'm just getting too picky in my old age.

I'll be trying nearly everything, as I usually do. Sometimes shows hit me out of left field. I didn't think I'd enjoy Mushibugyou, Nobunagun, or Sabagebu. None of them are masterpieces, but I've found them quite enjoyable.

But, yes, I said I'm hoping for sleepers. I won't disappointed if there aren't any. The chart looks bleak. I'm fairly certain the best show next season is going to be Parasyte, and I've been enjoying recent developments slightly less than the set-up episodes. Still very good, though.

Dawnstorm

punny user title, here
Registered
Reaction score
I don't watch cable, so the only time I see it is at other peoples houses.

(I'm at my brother's.)

Ever since I work at night, I barely watch any TV anyway. One of these days I'll probably just by the Dvds anyway.

Also, it looks like I'm starting to be anime satiated. I'm finding it more and more difficult to overlook flaws and just go with the flow. A good example is this season's Yuuki Yuuna. Great production values, good pacing, likable characters, awful story. The latter woudln't have been a deal breaker a few years ago. Now, the show takes a huge hit due to that.

I move in obsessions, and it seems my anime obsession is waning. It's just that I can see nothing else on the horizon so far. Maybe I'll pick up writing again, but I don't really feel like it.

LOG

Lagrangian
Registered
Reaction score
You can stream Toonami online if you have a service that provides the channel.
I still have yet to see Eva 3. Is there a 4th movie? I forget.

Been watching Log Horizon.
It certainly has its flaws (one being that I can't seem to get Crunchyroll to stream it at a smooth framerate), but it's definitely a superior creature to SAO as MMO anime go.

Last edited:

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
I still have yet to see Eva 3. Is there a 4th movie? I forget.

You will either love Evangelion 3.33 or hate it.

Personally I think it's brilliant.

Yes, there will be an Evagelion Final, and when it finally comes out, I will watch it in Japanese theaters.

Or else.

EMaree

a demon for tea
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.emmamaree.com
Caught the first episode of Steins;Gate on Netflix US. Seems like a fun anime so far.

I'm watching the English dub -- I really dig J. Michael Tatum's work, and familiar voice actors are fun. It's like I'm watching a Scientist!Sebastian Michaelis spin-off anime, woohoo (or a slightly more grown up and unhinged Ouran Host Club Kyoya).

Alexys

Registered
Reaction score
You can stream Toonami online if you have a service that provides the channel.

I doubt a non-American would have such a service, and I think Dawnstorm is in Europe.

Been watching Log Horizon.
It certainly has its flaws (one being that I can't seem to get Crunchyroll to stream it at a smooth framerate), but it's definitely a superior creature to SAO as MMO anime go.

I'm still watching and enjoying it, although I find the quality to be variable. SAO would be mediocre-but-okay if they'd just delete every second or third major arc.

Dawnstorm

punny user title, here
Registered
Reaction score
I doubt a non-American would have such a service, and I think Dawnstorm is in Europe.

Yep, I'm Austiran, and for the most part we're tagging onto the German market. In any case, I don't have a credit card, and most services around her require one.

Just watched Kaguya Hime no Monogatari. Takahata has outdone himself with this one. Such a beautiful, beautiful piece of animation. Instant buy, as soon as it's released over here (which is very likely, since it's Ghibli).

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
Just watched Kaguya Hime no Monogatari. Takahata has outdone himself with this one. Such a beautiful, beautiful piece of animation. Instant buy, as soon as it's released over here (which is very likely, since it's Ghibli).

Oh cool I'll have to download that. I've been looking forward to it.