David Ayers' Suicide Squad

Diana Hignutt

Very Tired
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
While it was quietly announced a few weeks backs that DC's Suicide Squad was among the slate of comic book films that WB has in production, with David Ayer to direct, a few new tidbits have been announced.

Margot Robbie has been cast as fan favorite Harley Quinn in "Task Force X" as the team of super villains is officially known. Her casting has been reported by Collider. Rumors are still swirling that Tom Hardy is wanted for the film, and that Jared Leto is in contention to play Harley's love interest...Mr. J...otherwise known as The Joker.

This will be the first of DC's films to follow Batman v Superman.

http://www.superherohype.com/news/321591-margot-robbie-cast-as-harley-quinn-in-suicide-squad

If they do a live action version of Assault of Arkham, it would be crazy fun...but, then...would Batfleck return for a cameo?

Anyway, sorry to break the news to Celia, our own AW Harley...

Last edited:

CrastersBabies

Burninator!
Registered
Reaction score
So, it's pretty much removing itself from the Dark Knight, correct? Sorry, I don't follow DC as much and am not as familiar. I just read that Jared Leto was in talks to play the Joker.

Diana Hignutt

Very Tired
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
So, it's pretty much removing itself from the Dark Knight, correct? Sorry, I don't follow DC as much and am not as familiar. I just read that Jared Leto was in talks to play the Joker.

Correct. I would not be surprised to see a Batfleck cameo though, esp. if the Joker does indeed turn up. I further understand that talks are also underway for Jesse Eisenberg's Lex Luthor to figure in the the film. As far as removing itself from the Nolanverse, all the new DC movies will take place in an inter-connected DC Universe (I wonder where they got that idea from?) with, for some reason, the exception of Shazam, and will not be tied in anyway to the Dark Knight Trilogy. The new DCU began with Man of Steel and will continue through, what a dozen films they announced about a month ago (BvS, Suicide Squad, JL1, JL2 Aquaman, Wonder Woman, Flash, Cyborg, a Green Lantern reboot, Shazam (with Dwayne Johnson as Black Atom) and additional B and S solo films sprinkled in the mix).

As David Ayers said of the project, "Imagine The Dirty Dozen, but with super villains...."

Diana Hignutt

Very Tired
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
An all-star roster of actors has joined Warner Bros. Pictures’ Suicide Squad movie, bringing DC Comics’ super villain team to the big screen as a new action adventure under the direction of David Ayer (Fury). The announcement was made today by Greg Silverman, President, Creative Development and Worldwide Production, Warner Bros. Pictures.
The film will star two-time Oscar nominee Will Smith (The Pursuit of Happyness, Focus) as Deadshot; Tom Hardy (The Dark Knight Rises, upcoming Mad Max: Fury Road) as Rick Flagg; Margot Robbie (The Wolf of Wall Street, Focus) as Harley Quinn; Oscar winner Jared Leto (Dallas Buyers Club, Alexander) as the Joker; Jai Courtney (Divergent, The Water Diviner) as Boomerang; and Cara Delevingne (Anna Karenina, upcoming Pan) as Enchantress.

http://www.superherohype.com/news/323589-its-official-meet-the-cast-of-dc-comics-suicide-squad

Channy

Me Gusta
Registered
Reaction score
I think Jared Leto has great potential to be (dare I say it) as good a Joker as Ledger. And with a Harley in the mix.. I've wanted to see a live action relationship between those two for a long time on the big (or small) screen.

Though interesting that Will Smith is tying himself to the project as well. Up until After Earth, I always thought that he couldn't do a bad movie so I think he's due for redeeming himself.

ShaunHorton

AW's resident Velociraptor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shaunhorton.blogspot.com
It'll be interesting to see Will Smith playing a cold-blooded killer and not be all wise-cracking. At least I hope that's how Deadshot is portrayed. I can't imagine it boding well if they play him like every other Will Smith action character.

katiemac

Five by Five
Registered
Reaction score
It'll be interesting to see Will Smith playing a cold-blooded killer and not be all wise-cracking. At least I hope that's how Deadshot is portrayed. I can't imagine it boding well if they play him like every other Will Smith action character.

I'd thought that Will Smith held a policy to never play a villain. I know little about the squad except they are "villains doing hero work" so I guess we'll see what Smith's policy means for the movie, if he's still holding himself to that.

nighttimer

No Gods No Masters
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Though interesting that Will Smith is tying himself to the project as well. Up until After Earth, I always thought that he couldn't do a bad movie so I think he's due for redeeming himself.

I'd thought that Will Smith held a policy to never play a villain. I know little about the squad except they are "villains doing hero work" so I guess we'll see what Smith's policy means for the movie, if he's still holding himself to that.

Will Smith also has a policy to stop making movies people don't want to pay money to see. He needs a hit if he wants to be able to justify his $20 million salary.

It would be quite the surprise if Smith will go the Dark Side to pull off the part of a murderous assassin like Deadshot and avoid turning him into a Agent J in spandex.

I'm actually interested in finding out.

Diana Hignutt

Very Tired
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Rumors are now swirling that DC is targeting Oprah Winfrey for Amanda Waller. I wouldn't even consider it , but I totally dissed the rumors of Will Smith starring, so you never know...

RedRajah

Special Snowflake? No. Hailstone
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fanfiction.net
Honestly, I'd mark out so hard if they'd just get CCH Pounder to play the part again.

J.S.F.

Red fish, blue fish...
Registered
Reaction score
I double vote for CCH Pounder just to HEAR her voice as Amanda Waller. God, she rocked it doing the voice for Justice League Unlimited and some of the animated films.

Will Smith as Deadshot. Supposed to cool, smarmy to the max, kind of slimy...ain't Will Smith's style. I happen to like him as an actor, quips aside, but that's what his fans are paying for...but I'm not sure about him as a totally cold, ruthless killer. Then again, he must atone for After Earth, the millenium's answer to Battlefield Earth. Which was worse? Let the Blechometer decide!

As for the actress playing Harley Quinn, I'd like to see what she can do with the role. The fanboys and fangirls will be expecting to hear Arleen Sorkin's voice and I wonder what kind of inflection she'll do when she says "Puddin'" or "My dear Mr. J". Leto, dare I say it, might outdo Ledger...but it's hard to say, as Ledger was sooooooooooo good in his (unfortunately final) role. Waiting on this.

At least Benefit Cumberbunch isn't in this. He's been in everything recently...:D

Last edited:

Diana Hignutt

Very Tired
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I never viewed the Joker as a team player, so it should be interesting seeing how he interacts in the squad.

My guess is that they're going with something like Assault on Arkham, where he isn't actually in Taskforce X, but ends up being a major player in the action. I still want a Batfleck cameo in this.

Also, rumors are that Deathstroke will also be in the film.

J.S.F.

Red fish, blue fish...
Registered
Reaction score
My guess is that they're going with something like Assault on Arkham, where he isn't actually in Taskforce X, but ends up being a major player in the action. I still want a Batfleck cameo in this.

---

That's what I was thinking as well. I never played the game, but saw the animated version--edgy as hell, and very good, IMO--and there, the Joker was in it for the lulz, the kills and the thrills. He went his own way, but still owned that flick. I'm betting that he'll do the same in this movie as well.

Having Deathstroke in would be a major plus, and I'm hoping that Bats does a decent cameo. We shall see.

AshleyEpidemic

Did you see my bag?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.soipondered.wordpress.com

For me there is no Deathstroke better than Manu Bennett at this point. I've been most excited about Suicide Squad since the announcement a few months back. I'm hoping that Deathstroke is not included in the team merely because I think they may end up butchering what I consider the heart of Deathstroke. Deathstroke is neutral not a straight up bad guy like they may try to play him as.

Diana Hignutt

Very Tired
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
For me there is no Deathstroke better than Manu Bennett at this point. I've been most excited about Suicide Squad since the announcement a few months back. I'm hoping that Deathstroke is not included in the team merely because I think they may end up butchering what I consider the heart of Deathstroke. Deathstroke is neutral not a straight up bad guy like they may try to play him as.

I agree, and you really don't need Deadshot and Deathstroke in Task Force X.

Diana Hignutt

Very Tired
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
There are reports the talks are underway with Viola Davis to play Amanda Waller if she can fit the shoot in with her tv schedule...I'll post a link when it's more solid. She'd be great.

CrastersBabies

Burninator!
Registered
Reaction score
The trailer looks okay. Not like, "OMG I NEED TO SEE THIS," but better than most DC stuff right now.

I'm just not a fan of Leto in general. But, nobody can say what that performance will look like until it's up on the screen.

Harley Quinn is a non-issue for me. I know almost nothing about her. Only that she's the most popular cosplay costume for women, which is cool. The costumes always seem fun.

Diana Hignutt

Very Tired
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The trailer looks okay. Not like, "OMG I NEED TO SEE THIS," but better than most DC stuff right now.

I'm just not a fan of Leto in general. But, nobody can say what that performance will look like until it's up on the screen.

Harley Quinn is a non-issue for me. I know almost nothing about her. Only that she's the most popular cosplay costume for women, which is cool. The costumes always seem fun.

Harley was created for the early 90s Batman The Animated Adventures and quickly became such a fan favorite that they added her the comic books. Her name is Harlene Quinzel and she is the poor Arkham psychiatrist the does the Jokers therapy and she goes insane and falls in love with him.

phantasy

I write weird stories.
Registered
Reaction score
Harley was created for the early 90s Batman The Animated Adventures and quickly became such a fan favorite that they added her the comic books. Her name is Harlene Quinzel and she is the poor Arkham psychiatrist the does the Jokers therapy and she goes insane and falls in love with him.

I think I'd watch the movie just for her. Just...so...badass! I really hope Hollywood doesn't find a way to undermine her agency.

Don't care for this version of the joker at all. Too punk, too young, too pulpy horror face.

Channy

Me Gusta
Registered
Reaction score
This looks really good, and I agree, Margo is stealing it. I hope they play up the romance between the two (HarleyxJoker) without flooding the movie, because it's obviously key to their characters that makes them even more unique (the dynamic between the two, anyway).