Bragging Rights: Let us congratulate you! (Please excuse the brag.)

Cindyh2k

Registered
Reaction score
Wonderful and informative article, Butterscotch! Congratulations on a job well done!

Cindy

JenNipps

Have you JHS today?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenifernipps.com
Hey, guys. I forgot about this thread when I posted in JHS Sunday night. (I blame being tired at the time. lol)

At the awards banquet, I got my first first place. :) It's for a how-to article, "10 Tips for Getting Organized," which, not-so-coincidentally, is the same article I entered in the Freelance Writing Contest here, so you may have already read it. :)

I also got an honorable mention for a rhymed poem, "Paris, April 1998." The funny thing there is I feel like I don't do rhyme very well at all. I guess I was wrong at least on that one. :)

limitedtimeauthor

Super duper user
Registered
Reaction score
Jen, congratulations again on your wins! That's fantastic.

I have a brag too. I just got my first rejection! WOO-HOO! I know I often say things semi-sarcastically, but I really mean this. I'm so excited to finally be a "real" writer! Just getting published is no evidence of being a real writer, you see. It's getting rejected and sending back a "thanks, how about this idea then?" :) (Where's the little jumping smiley? Ah, here it is :hooray:)

:D

ltd.

AmyDoodle

I'm a Bajaffe!
Registered
Reaction score
2nd star to the right and 10 miles west of Sugar T
Website
www.mindovermullis.blogspot.com
Ltd, You got a rejection! What a wonderful success story! For curious onlookers, I'm not being sarcastic. This wonderful writer (who has steady paying gigs) has been putting off querying for longer than I've had children. (And we're not talking toddlers here.) Congratulations, Ltd.!

Jen--I remember your article. It made me think that I really should consider getting organized one day. No wonder it won a prize. Anything that can make me think deserves highest honors!

JenNipps

Have you JHS today?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenifernipps.com
Jen, congratulations again on your wins! That's fantastic.

Thanks. :D

I have a brag too. I just got my first rejection! WOO-HOO! I know I often say things semi-sarcastically, but I really mean this. I'm so excited to finally be a "real" writer! Just getting published is no evidence of being a real writer, you see. It's getting rejected and sending back a "thanks, how about this idea then?"

Congrats, seriously. :) I know what you mean about the "thanks-how-about-this-one." It can be intimidating to me, but ya gotta do what ya gotta do. :)

Jen--I remember your article. It made me think that I really should consider getting organized one day. No wonder it won a prize. Anything that can make me think deserves highest honors!

Want to know a not-so-secret secret?

I am SO not organized!! lol

This past year, I worked really hard to get organized writing-wise, and that is really working well for me. So if that works that well, getting the office and then the living space organized should work well, too, right?

Well...In theory anyway. :)

Spell-it-out

I'm gonna give all my secrets away
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Congrats to everybody!

Thrillride

A Suburban Farmer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.asuburbanfarmer.com
Ltd, You got a rejection! What a wonderful success story! For curious onlookers, I'm not being sarcastic. This wonderful writer (who has steady paying gigs) has been putting off querying for longer than I've had children. (And we're not talking toddlers here.) Congratulations, Ltd.!

I am confused. LTD is a paid writer, but never sent out a query. Ummm, 'splain, Lucy.:D

limitedtimeauthor

Super duper user
Registered
Reaction score
I know, right? It's this neat trick called the Letter of Introduction (or in the case of my very first paid gig, The Phone Call of Introduction).

I *have* contacted publications before, in one way or another, but just not with a query for a specific idea.

I think it's important to note that I don't go around calling national magazines whose guidelines specifically say "query." This is just how it's worked out for me... and good thing too because I froze up at the thought of writing a query. (But thought nothing of emailing to ask outright!)

But local magazines and sometimes newspapers, specialty or niche publications, and definitely corporate or commercial gigs are well-suited to the method of a quick and courteous note or call to introduce yourself and see if they need any freelance writers.

Still. If there are guidelines, no matter how small the pub, I would err on the side of caution and do what they say.

So that's how I've never queried. Before, that is. Because now I have!! Wow. No more being special. :)

Last edited:

Georganna Hancock

she's back!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.writers-edge.info
Yay for me! (Blush)

My blog, A Writer's Edge, is one of "100 Awesome Webmaster Blogs by and for Women" listed by Web Hosting Database in the section for "Social Media, Organizations, and Writing Skills". According to the article, I'm a "strong, talented, innovative and resourceful" web woman.

"Sheʼs a widely published writer who provides classes and coaching to beginners who want to write for magazines and journals, news mediums and more. Ms. Hancockʼs blog reflects her coaching skills as she imparts information about every type of writing imaginable."

:e2cloud9:

I was reading the article, noticing with pleasure how the list included some people I've admired for several years, when BLAM! Right between the eyes. There was my blog listed. What a nice way to start the week!

BizWriter

Registered
Reaction score
Okay, my chest is swollen just a bit with pride this month and last month...and while what I wrote appeared in two different trade journals, and not the New Yorker, Vanity Fair or the Atlantic Monthly, the two articles were cover stories...and it was a thrill to make the covers for the first time instead of being between the sheets, so to speak.

A small thing, I know, but my own...

lisake

Sometimes I feel like a Dwarf
Registered
Reaction score
Congrats BizWriter

You SHOULD be proud. That's great! Congratulations.

~Lisa

Cindyh2k

Registered
Reaction score
And, a belated congratulations to Georganna, Nancy, and Shreena!

WildScribe

Slave to the Wordcount
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Congratulations SkyRaven!

My own brag: I have had two editors this week say "I don't think so, but I really like your style, do you have clips for me?" And one other editor that I sent clips to last month just assigned me something out of the blue. I may actually meet my financial goals this month! Wheeeeeee!

Cindyh2k

Registered
Reaction score
Way to go, SkyRaven and Wildscribe!! Nice article, SkyRaven!

Cindy

Skyraven

What happened to my LIFE?!
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks Wildscribe and Cindy. That brag makes me want to go out and submit more! :)