Bragging Rights: Let us congratulate you! (Please excuse the brag.)

AmyDoodle

I'm a Bajaffe!
Registered
Reaction score
2nd star to the right and 10 miles west of Sugar T
Website
www.mindovermullis.blogspot.com
Congratulations Dawn! I can't think of anybody better for that job! Deborah knows you pretty well, doesn't she? You're gonna be great.

I'd recorded some podcasts over the last month or so--things from my blog--for an internet show, themotherdaughterclub.com. I just remembered to check their site and there was my name staring back at me! I was too excited to click on anything, so if anybody does, let me know if you can listen to those podcasts. And thanks for letting me blather on. I'm a kid again when I see my name!

http://www.byforandaboutwomen.com/motherdaughterclub.html

WriterintheWind

Registered
Reaction score
Website
supersubteacher.blogspot.com
Won an essay contest!

I was notified from Random House Publishing that I won a book review essay contest. They are promoting " The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society" website by asking what was a book that moved you, etc.

I reviewed a favorite book - "Angela's Ashes". I won a trade copy of "The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society" autographed by the author, Annie Barrows and my essay remains on their website for one year. This is great because I've been wanting to read the book!

My essay:
http://www.randomhouse.com/rhpg/guernsey//2009/09/09/week-2-essay-winner/#more-138

FYI, Amazon lists The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society as #8 - so it should be on writer's "to read" list: http://tinyurl.com/qlwqnn

Last edited:

AmyDoodle

I'm a Bajaffe!
Registered
Reaction score
2nd star to the right and 10 miles west of Sugar T
Website
www.mindovermullis.blogspot.com
Too cool, Writer. Congratulations! That's the kind of contest that's especially gratifying to win. Has anybody from around here entered this year's Funds for Writer's contest? I took second last year, but haven't come up with anything for this year and I think the deadline is coming up in October.

Just found out I'm in the finalists for A Cup of Comfort for a Better World. Don't know yet if I'll make the cut, but after a long, dry summer it's nice to be one of 66 finalists from over 2,000 entries. Just because I still get kicks out of seeing my name, here's a link to the finalists. We're in alphabetical order and I'm the Mullis one. Now let's all celebrate with Girl Scout cookies!

http://www.cupofcomfort.com/Blog.aspx?Blog=Better-World-Finalists

JenNipps

Have you JHS today?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenifernipps.com
A lot of you already know this because of the joys of Twitter, Plurk, and Facebook. I have yet to even post it on my blog.

Back in May, an acquaintance/friend I have who is also a publisher met with me at the OWFI conference. We talked about a book of devotions, so I have been working on DEVOTED TO CREATING since that time.

I submitted it via e-mail Tuesday morning.

I got the contract Tuesday afternoon. I printed it that evening.

I signed and mailed it Wednesday morning.

Nancy

Masquerading as normal...
Registered
Reaction score
cover article

I just came back from Border's and one of my articles was in a mag. on their newsstand. I thought the publisher had decided to discontinue newsstand circulation, so I was really surprised.

The best part was it was a cover piece!

Last edited:

JenNipps

Have you JHS today?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenifernipps.com
Just popping in real quick. I should be getting ready to go down the hill for the conference, but I still have a little bit.

Yesterday I had an appointment with agent Doug Grad. I pitched CONFESSIONS OF A FAT CHICK. He really liked the title and requested an overview, table of contents, and first chapter. :)

(Trying to decide if I'm going to get on the waiting list to pitch fiction to an editor today...)

SouthernFriedJulie

Hidin' the bodies
Registered
Reaction score
Website
blacklabelbooks.blogspot.com
I just sold my first short story to Ravenous Romance's Zombie anthology! ROFL! Who'd've thunk it?

Let me be the first to say:

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:PartySmil: :TheWave: :banana: :Trophy: :banana: :TheWave: :PartySmil

Pat~

Luftmensch Emeritus, A.D.D.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

NeverEndingStory

Registered
Reaction score
Jen: Having read some of your blog, I think your news about Confessions of a Fat Chick is fantastic!! Actually, beyond a book, it's a screenplay waiting to happen! Kind of like, oh, I don't know ... Confessions of a Shopaholic. ;) You go, girl.

Last edited:

Susie

Thanks, special friend for my avi!
Registered
Reaction score
Congrats to everyone! I have two stories coming up next year in Mature Years so that makes me happy. :)

ritinrider

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Ta-Da

DEVOTED TO QUILTING is out and in my hot little hands. Whoo-hoo. And, son-in-law is building me a website. It needs a lot of work, but it's a start. Aaaaand, publisher actually has it up on his website . What have I gotten myself into?

Last edited:

Irishmom

Registered
Reaction score
My first piece was published today!!!!!!

Can I officially call myself a freelance writer now? :)

The editor made very, very few changes - this makes it even more exciting.

She has also offered me two more stories - one of which I can't do sadly since I have other commitments and won't make her deadline but it was nice to be offered!

I am enjoying this and hope it leads to bigger and better things.

Thank you to all who answered my recent questions and gave me such great encouragement - it has really helped!