Drawing Your Characters

Status
Not open for further replies.

SapphireGuardian

Registered
Reaction score
Website
igg.me
The latest art version of my beloved winged heroine, Executrix Angeni / Grace Sessa Aredia of the Auralight Fantasy series Crystal Shade: Angeni (Art by humble me.).

GraciusAngeniusResize.jpg

Last edited:

Calliea

Hush, hush...
Registered
Reaction score
That's pretty cool! Was it done in 3D, 2D or some mix of them? Have you based it on something or was it done from complete scratch? :)

SapphireGuardian

Registered
Reaction score
Website
igg.me
Its my design, was made from complete scratch, based on the description of the book. I used various techniques as always, both 3D and 2D. I've built the character, her weapon, armor and everything else in 3D, so I can change the angle and shot anytime for additional arts. Then I used all my art skills to make the final art in 2D. However the blondie lady is based on someone very dear to me. :)

Channy

Me Gusta
Registered
Reaction score
I'm always prowling through DA for talented artists to do commissions of my characters.. I can't draw for the life of me, and I had a few e-friends who drew really well but then you drift apart and all you're left with are the fragments of art left behind to spur you on to the next person.

I'm picky though... I like a... somewhat realistic anime tone to my characters, given how outlandish and unique in each of their appearances that I've made them, that realistic portraits or 3D models just makes them feel... icky.

Here is one of my main that a good friend of mine drew and then I coloured in PS, or rather, attempted to colour.

Click here to view image

Last edited by a moderator:

SapphireGuardian

Registered
Reaction score
Website
igg.me
Every attempt is a step to be better, to find a new way to make your art better. I also started drawing the very same way as you did. Then I figured out new techniques, new ways to make it better and better (But I never learned via workshops or else.). I just draw and make experiments. Sometimes I simply make some art experiments just to see how things would look like. For example this picture also was born from these technique experiments and attempts. It's one of my favorites and my present wallpaper. :)

Gracius1Resize.jpg

And another one, a similar experiment. :)

Gracius2Resize.jpg

Last edited:

Phoebs

Registered
Reaction score
I totally do this. It's kind of a therapeutic/relaxing way to bounce ideas around in my head. When I draw I think about really everything and anything. And sometimes when I'm drawing what my character looks like, I realize there was a facet of his/her character that I overlooked.

shestval

No more horror books at 1am
Registered
Reaction score
Art is such an important part of my identity, I couldn't imagine NOT drawing my characters. It helps nail down physical features, which means I can't vacillate while describing the characters any more. Otherwise, I have a hard time making decisions on appearance.

My current narrators

Gale Haut

waxing digital artistic
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.galehaut.com
Every attempt is a step to be better, to find a new way to make your art better. I also started drawing the very same way as you did. Then I figured out new techniques, new ways to make it better and better (But I never learned via workshops or else.). I just draw and make experiments. Sometimes I simply make some art experiments just to see how things would look like. For example this picture also was born from these technique experiments and attempts. It's one of my favorites and my present wallpaper. :)

Love it! You're extremely talented!

V.W.Singer

Purveyor of naughtiness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.vwsinger.com
I don't illustrate my characters, but I do design the covers before I start writing. It helps to give me a starting point in my mind. Here's one of the more recent and less suggestive ones :)

alldis

Temet Nosce
Registered
Reaction score
I can't draw people for the life of me, but I do love making fake movie posters of each of my MC's to help me through the bouts of writer's block...or procrastinate by tweaking things on the posters when I should be writing. It also helps me keep track of their individual themes.

This is the first in a series of three I'm planning for my current WIP:

m8kxz6.jpg

ArachnePhobia

Registered
Reaction score
Started doodling on my outline today. It turned into this line art of Bad Princess's rogues' gallery.

Left-to-right, that's Malek, Beth "Zombeth" Craven, Princess Malsmedis, Nell Hollows, and Emmalee Gault.

Aleiarity

mostly harmless
Registered
Reaction score
Those are cute!

I tend to draw my characters... and a map, usually, so I can picture the land a bit better when I'm writing.

Ladyxkaa

Consigliere to Don Fluffles
Registered
Reaction score
Website
z4.invisionfree.com
drawing your own characters is a tricksy business my precious. they never comes out like you wantses them to. trust us, precious, it's going to be tough but keep trying and you will makeses it.

mimstrel

Registered
Reaction score
For the life of me I can't draw something that I only see in my mind. And my characters, they don't look quite like anyone I know or any famous person. I'm doomed to never get them on paper.

But I keep trying. I have a couple of reference photos for Connor and Ben and I might be able to change the refs just a little bit to make them right.

Status
Not open for further replies.