What do you do when Amazon buries your book under an 'Adult' filter?

Pisco Sour

Registered
Reaction score
My first erotica short released yesterday and then...poof! It disappeared from Amazon. It's not self-published, and nobody seems to know why Amazon buried it under the 'adult' filter. It's only been out for a day or so, has nothing like the usual 'no-nos' (ie incest, yellow/brown stuff, dead people...). Explicit content? Sure, lots of it, and some nookie with a married dude. But there's plenty of that on Amazon. I am stumped and don't know what will happen now.

Is there life after the 'Adult' filter or is this the kiss of death for my first erotica short? Feeling :cry:

c.m.n.

Beary cute ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Registered
Reaction score
I've never had this happen to any of my books, but what I've seen is that authors or the publisher can message Amazon about the title asking why they buried it under adult.

Some of the reps at Amazon are dicks -- they'll only give you the round-about explanation -- and some aren't and will fully describe what's wrong.

Other things you can try is changing the cover, blurb, excerpt, title, etc... Whatever is the offender. Of course, if you don't know, then maybe asking Amazon first would be the choice route to go.

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
Have your publisher check with Amazon. They can get further than you can - probably.

Amazon pulled mine last year, we still have no idea why - I still suspect a complaint from an industry adversary. Loose Id changed the blurb a bit, genre, and keywords, in effect republishing the book. We had a nice sales bump, which I hope my adversary noticed.

Pisco Sour

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks c.m.n. and Filigree! I am gutted about it. My publisher has said this happened with another one of their books a while back and Amazon did not budge bc they thought the book contained incest--and it didn't! They are not willing to contact Amazon bc they say it's pointless. I disagree...and here we are. I've suggested changing cover/blurb/tags...and we'll see what they say when they get back to me. Their suggestion is to write more erotica and get my name out there, and then they think peeps will search for my backlist. I tend to think 'how'? if they cannot find it on the zon! Frustrated, and annoyed. The book was only out for one day before it disappeared, so somebody must have complained, but why? Grrrr. Sorry, i've venting, and I'll stop now.

DancingMaenid

New kid...seven years ago!
Registered
Reaction score
I'd be surprised if an actual person complained. My understanding is that a lot of this is automated--Amazon picks up on "red flags" like certain words in titles or blurbs, and then takes it down or adult filters it without a thorough check for whether the concern is even accurate.

My best guess is that there was either some word in the title or blurb that triggered the move, or the cover was decided (perhaps arbitrarily) to be too explicit.

Ann_Mayburn

Smutty McTitters
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annmayburn.com
Cry, a lot. Then contact them and plead your case. I'm in the middle of doing that with my audio books that they all flagged as adult even though the print books aren't. :p

Last edited:

Underdawg47

Registered
Reaction score
I guess my book would be censored for a adult content for certain since I write gay fiction. I don't censor myself when I tell a story because life is full of the good, the bad, and the sexual.

c.m.n.

Beary cute ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Registered
Reaction score
Is your book completely gone from Amazon, or can you search your name and find it in the listing?

If it did get slapped with an "Adult" filter, it should still pop up under your name (from what I have read). The adult filter only filters it from a general search of erotica e-books. If you cannot find it at all, then Amazon deleted it completely from the listing.

Again, from what I have read, they can set a book back to "draft - unpublished" with the assumption the author/publisher "did not follow content guidelines". The only way to get it back is to duke it out with them.

If it's not completely gone from the site, I agree with your publisher. Continue writing erotica and readers should find your backlist, as well as your first story.

Last edited:

c.m.n.

Beary cute ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Registered
Reaction score
I guess my book would be censored for a adult content for certain since I write gay fiction. I don't censor myself when I tell a story because life is full of the good, the bad, and the sexual.

This wouldn't be true or Amazon would be under a major shit storm.

I write gay fiction and erotica, and none of my books are censored under the "adult" filter.

Last edited:

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
As would I. Can you share with us who your publisher is? We understand if you'd rather not. If you're willing to share it with us--people who may also be affected now or in the future--but want them to be unable to find this thread when they search their own name at AW, you can "disguise" it to search engines by doing simple letter replacements, such as L00s31d, 51r3n, R1pt1d3, or E110r@sC@v3.

Maryn, who learned that at Purgatory

Pisco Sour

Registered
Reaction score
Sorry for not popping in sooner. I've been in a flurry of activity all day dealing with this and e-mails popping back and forth since lunch time, when my publisher woke up. I think they don't want to talk to amazon cause they've done that in the past and it hasn't worked for them. Their filtered books were deleted entirely from the book store and they don't want that to happen to mine. Now the partners have had a chance to talk about it they are going to change the cover and remove certain 'trigger' words from the blurb. I've been crazy-doozy back and forth talking about the new artwork for cover and doing everything they suggest.

The story has not been removed entirely; you can still find it under 'books'. I think I panicked because I could no longer find it. But it just goes to show that a lot of people do not know to search for a book under 'books' (duh...I am one of these people!) if it does not come up when you punch the title and/or author into that black 'all' space!

Pisco Sour

Registered
Reaction score
This is a job for your publisher - they've got the connections and the clout.

If they're telling you that it's YOUR issue and that YOU need to complain to Amazon then I'd question their competency...

Thanks for the support! But just to clarify, they haven't said that it's MY issue, or urged ME to complain, just that from their experience with Amazon, talking to them does not work and could even prove detrimental. I kinda still sorta maybe think they *could* contact them, but since they are happy to sort this out with a different cover and blurb, I'm calming down. Other covers of theirs have been fine, but I guess the zon decided to take issue with mine, plus some of the word pairings in the blurb. Go figure. Hopefully, this will be sorted and the book will come out of 'filter'.

Pisco Sour

Registered
Reaction score
Cry, a lot. Then contact them and plead your case. I'm in the middle of doing that with my audio books that they all flagged as adult even though the print books aren't. :p

OMG! That is just...ludicrous! And it goes to show there is no logical sense to their filter decisions. I really feel for you! Hope your publisher can sort it out!

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, that's one problem with Amaz0n (I'm so sick of it accidentally linking!) being the biggest dog in the fight. It sets whatever rules it wants to, decides not to share what those rules are, enforces those rules without any consistency, and doesn't want to back down once a decision--even a wrong one--has been made.

I hope the tweaks your publisher is making to cover and blurb make this all better.

Maryn, thinking about lunch

Pisco Sour

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, that's one problem with Amaz0n (I'm so sick of it accidentally linking!) being the biggest dog in the fight. It sets whatever rules it wants to, decides not to share what those rules are, enforces those rules without any consistency, and doesn't want to back down once a decision--even a wrong one--has been made.

I hope the tweaks your publisher is making to cover and blurb make this all better.

Maryn, thinking about lunch

Since this has happened I've spoken to several erotica authors and I've been paying more attention to book titles and blurbs. One author told me his book was filtered for having 'steps' getting it on, and yet this morning I looked at a few best-sellers on Amazon and these include the step bro/sis relationship in the title. Blurb also, and yet this guy's book was filtered. It really is unbelievable how random Amazon is. :Shrug:

Ann_Mayburn

Smutty McTitters
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annmayburn.com
Pisco- Amazon got back to me in less than six hours to basically tell me they can't do shit about it because even though Amazon owns Audible they have don't control what rating Audible gives a book. Blah, so now I'm battling Audible. (these are all self-published audio books since I retained the audio rights to pretty much every book I've written, regardless of who owns the print rights)

Here is the easiest way to tell if your book has an adult filter: Do a search for your book at this rank listing website, then look and see if the book is labeled 'adult' or 'not adult'.

http://salesrankexpress.com/

Last edited:

Pisco Sour

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, Jules. I know that my book has an adult filter because the only way to find it on Amazon is under the 'books' search tag, but yes, if I do a search on salesrank is comes up with a big fat and red "ADULT". My publisher is changing the cover and blurb and if it remains under the 'adult' filter, I'm going to wait until they republish it to get in touch with Amazon and request they unfilter the book. Fingers crossed.

UPDATE ON FEB 1ST: The cover was changed and the blurb altered and now the book is out of the ADULT filter. Happy! However, it lost whatever ranking it had, and the carousel of 'customers who viewed this also viewed...' But I guess that's what happens. So, we'll see if it stays out of 'filtered'. The 'tags' it's under now are 'contemporary'. Not even romance, which I don't know what to do about so it might be the kiss of death in other ways.Uff!

Last edited:

Pisco Sour

Registered
Reaction score
UPDATE ON FEB 1ST: The cover was changed and the blurb altered and now the book is out of the ADULT filter. Happy! However, it lost whatever ranking it had, and the carousel of 'customers who viewed this also viewed...' But I guess that's what happens. So, we'll see if it stays out of 'filtered'. The 'tags' it's under now are 'contemporary'. Not even romance, which I don't know what to do about so it might be the kiss of death in other ways.Uff!