Agents: What Proportion of Authors do You Sign Through Unsolicited Queries?

WeaselFire

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I've been reading more and more that most writers find representation by meeting agents at conferences, or by meeting other writers and getting referred.

Gee, pretty much how most people find their spouses. Meeting at work, school or through friends.

Yep. Same dynamics.

Jeff

MandyHubbard

Once Upon a Time....
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.MandyHubbard.com
I still wonder about the proportion of people accepted in each of those categories. I have to think that the percentage of people you accept as clients that you knew previously is way, way higher than the percent of people you accept through queries.

The percentage on signing someone from slush is certainly much, MUCH lower (it's been quite some time since I have run percentages, but at one point I found I was requesting about 7% of my queries, and from the fulls I'd requested, offering on maybe 5%. . . meaning about one-third of 1 percent, or 0.35%

That said, it's as much about VOLUME as anything. If I offered on even 1% of everything queried to me, I would sign a new client every single week. And by the end of the year be so overwhelmed I'd close completely.

We remain selective because it's the only way we can be effective. If we have too many clients, steam comes out our ears and our laptops explode.

So basically the low offer-rate on slush isn't just about your writing being good enough, it's about our lists not being too big.

SCUBABry

The day job is the my antagonist...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Thanks for this post. I am just now thinking about finding an agent form paranomal thriller, but I am an unpublished writer and this part of the process seems mucho scary to me. This has given me some hope.

I was kind of wondering this myself because I presently live in Germany and can't go to US conferences because of the cost involved (and time off of my day job). Glad to hear the slush pile does actually work.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
The slush pile is not ideal but it does work. So long as you write a good query, and send it to the right places, you'll be fine. Good luck!