Why are HEAs necessary?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marian Perera

starting over
Registered
Reaction score
Heaven is a place on earth called Toronto.
Website
www.marianperera.com
...I grow extremely tired of the idea that there's something foolish or stupid or immature about happy endings, and that people who prefer them are simpletons who can't handle the rough edges of life.

Heck, in a thread from last December, a poster asked,

...readers of romance genre want a simply, warm and fuzzy, love story, and not contemplate all these difficult life and death questions?

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
*Thwapp* (the sound of a virtual boot to the head.) I remember that thread.

Romance is my adopted genre (I read it in the early eighties and went back to science fiction and fantasy; rediscovered 'new' romance in 2009.)

Funny thing, I heard all these arguments about SF&F back in the day: that it's immature and escapist, not useful for 'real people'. I stopped caring what Oprah Winfrey thought of books after reading once that she'd never consider reccing a science-fiction book, because her viewers didn't like it (wish I could find that source 15 years later). The LotR movies, superhero movies, and Game of Thrones came along, and all of a sudden fantasy & sf is geek-fashionable.

Where is our Game of Thrones? It certainly isn't Fifty Shades of Grey.

Romance has changed so much since my first experience with it. So has the readership. I know DSP took heat for the Bittersweet imprint, but I'm seeing subtler changes too. Plottier books, more back story, more interesting genre crossovers, among other things.

And yet, we have literary fic writers mocking the old stereotypes of female romance writers (Jowita Bydlowska's National Post essay), and the founders of major erotic romance publishers playing up that same narrow picture (Ellora's Cave and Jaid Black).

I honestly don't have a problem with romance tenets, especially since I've seen them morph since 1980. I'll play within their limits - but I know I'm free to publish in other genres.

Last edited:

KimJo

Outside the box, with the werewolves
Registered
Reaction score
Website
karennacolcroft.com
Alpha males are definitely not a requirement in romance. I'm not a huge fan of alpha males in general, and I can only think of maybe 2 or 3 of my books that have a character who would fit that description.

Hell, in my male/male Real Werewolves Don't Eat Meat series, even the pack Alpha isn't an alpha male; he's strong and dominant life-wise, but he also suffers from PTSD because of the way he was turned into a werewolf, he sometimes feels like a "poser" instead of a leader, and he's sexually submissive.

Alpha males are a *popular* trope amongst some romance readers (and publishers, and authors), but not a *required* one.

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
I think alpha males are a popular trope, but they're certainly not a requirement. None of my het romances have alpha heroes, and they sell okay.

That's good to know.

It's funny how much negative judgement is attached to people wanting emotionally satisfying, optimistic endings in all manner of fiction these days. While fantasy has never *required* that the good guys win (and indeed, charcoal gray heroes go a long way back in the genre), and even LoTR had a very bittersweet ending, there's definitely a thing lately where people feel they're performing a vital function by deconstructing the concept of narrative justice and shunning characters who are basically decent and trying to do the right thing in a crazy world. A lot of people even proudly proclaim that they *hate* happy or optimistic endings, which makes those of us who prefer or enjoy them feel like we're saps who don't get how life *really* is or something.

Cynicism is in, I guess.

So romance, as a genre that requires emotionally satisfying endings, gets picked on a lot. Yet it's the most popular genre. Stupid romance readers, what's wrong with them? Why can't they allow sad endings into their genre? Some people feel an itch to deconstruct the HEA/HFN ending as a genre expectation, but they're running up against a problem--the romance imprints don't accept novels with sad endings. So if you write such a book, it may get published, but it probably won't end up on the rack with all the books that have torn bodices and shirtless dudes.

I think the most obvious comparison might be to the mystery genre, which also requires an emotionally satisfying ending (the crime must be solved and the perpetrator brought to justice). It's possible to have a work of crime fiction where the bad guy escapes, of course, but it's not a genre mystery.

Last edited:

amergina

Pittsburgh Strong
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annazabo.com
I love alpha males. I love writing them...

...then kicking their legs out from under them and then having them have to man up and let their love interest help them with something.

Marian Perera

starting over
Registered
Reaction score
Heaven is a place on earth called Toronto.
Website
www.marianperera.com
I think the most obvious comparison might be to the mystery genre, which also requires an emotionally satisfying ending (the crime must be solved and the perpetrator brought to justice). It's possible to have a work of crime fiction where the bad guy escapes, of course, but it's not a genre mystery.

I don't so much mind the criminal escaping as long as this isn't due to the detective's incompetence. Though I'd prefer some indication that they'd be caught sooner or later. There are a couple of Agatha Christie mysteries which end with Miss Marple knowing who committed the crime, but the bad guy remaining at large - for now. The story stops just before she takes the final piece of evidence to the police or they act on it.

But if the mystery remains unsolved for whatever reason (it's true to real life, it's breaking triumphantly free of genre restrictions, the author thinks I should figure it out myself, etc), that would annoy the hell out of me.

Last edited:

RackinRocky

Registered
Reaction score
OP here. I asked the question just because I was curious, even though I write HEAs. LOL, I got my answer, and it makes sense. I sure got an education and an earful, but it was extremely riveting reading, to say the least! Thanks everyone for responding.

Lillith1991

The Hobbit-Vulcan hybrid
Registered
Reaction score
Website
eclecticlittledork.wordpress.com
I know you stopped talking about Romeo and Juliet a while ago, but here's a response in defense of it.

(Also: I apologize for the writer's tone. Like they said, they're sick of people acting snotty about it.)

I agree with the writer despite the tone of the response, but I have heard this myself in regards to my love of R&J. And that, of course makes me more agreeable to the pissed tone in the authors writing. They're completely right it is a story about passion, how love can be as consuming and destructive as hate. There'd been no need for Tybalt, the couple themselves, and Mercutio to die if not for hate and love respectively.(I won't count Paris because his death seemed pretty needless to me.) The love wouldn't have been controversial and destructive without the mirror image presented by each family hating the other so much. And in the end, it is the fact they were willing to kill themselves to be together which ends the rivalry.

Romance in the genre sense? 100% no. But it is a romantic tragedy, which is why love is central.

Last edited:

jae_s1978

Registered
Reaction score
I'm actually part of a panel at a writers' conference this year that discusses "hopeful ever after" endings in romances. I don't think romances always have to have a HEA ending, but readers have to be left with the feeling that the characters will be able to work out any other problem coming their way.

Romance readers want to know won't break up, even if love doesn't conquer all their problems.

Lillith1991

The Hobbit-Vulcan hybrid
Registered
Reaction score
Website
eclecticlittledork.wordpress.com
I'm actually part of a panel at a writers' conference this year that discusses "hopeful ever after" endings in romances. I don't think romances always have to have a HEA ending, but readers have to be left with the feeling that the characters will be able to work out any other problem coming their way.

Romance readers want to know won't break up, even if love doesn't conquer all their problems.

I think that is what others call more of a Happy For Now type ending. I agree that a good Romance doesn't need a HEA as long as the impression is given that the couple or group is going to face whatever problems come their way together. It's the subtle difference between the Dutch movie Boys and the Brazilian movie The Way He Looks, though both are coming of age love stories. In one ( The Way He Looks) the main character is out and has a boyfriend at the end, while in the other (Boys) the mc has the boyfriend bit but isn't out. Boys gives you the impression though, that they will face coming out together and in their own time/on their own terms. They're both highly romantic in my eyes, but one is deffinitely a HEA and the other a HFN.

brainstorm77

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
All I can say is that I wrote one erotic romance that didn't have HEA ending for all. It ended up pretty much bombing. It was a menage. Never with I write a romance ever again without an HEA ending for all.

brainstorm77

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Two out of the three did get a happy ending together. I think the problem was that my readers expect at least a HFN ending from me for everyone involved. I took a risk. I won't do it again.

This release was couple of years ago and I know my readership much better now.

andiwrite

Registered
Reaction score
I've read three romances since I last looked at this thread. I'm starting to understand more why it's a requirement. There's something weirdly addicting about them and it's very comforting knowing what to expect. I never thought I'd feel that as someone who previously read mostly horror. It's my new drug! :D

gingerwoman

Registered
Reaction score
That's good to know.

It's funny how much negative judgement is attached to people wanting emotionally satisfying, optimistic endings in all manner of fiction these days. While fantasy has never *required* that the good guys win (and indeed, charcoal gray heroes go a long way back in the genre), and even LoTR had a very bittersweet ending, there's definitely a thing lately where people feel they're performing a vital function by deconstructing the concept of narrative justice and shunning characters who are basically decent and trying to do the right thing in a crazy world. A lot of people even proudly proclaim that they *hate* happy or optimistic endings, which makes those of us who prefer or enjoy them feel like we're saps who don't get how life *really* is or something.

Cynicism is in, I guess.

So romance, as a genre that requires emotionally satisfying endings, gets picked on a lot. Yet it's the most popular genre. Stupid romance readers, what's wrong with them? Why can't they allow sad endings into their genre? Some people feel an itch to deconstruct the HEA/HFN ending as a genre expectation, but they're running up against a problem--the romance imprints don't accept novels with sad endings. So if you write such a book, it may get published, but it probably won't end up on the rack with all the books that have torn bodices and shirtless dudes.

Happy ever after endings must be huge sellers since so many publishers actually require that in a romance. However the Nicholas Sparks type "love stories" also can sell really well, but I guess there are fewer authors able to do this well, or do this in a way that is a high enough quality to generate sales.

gingerwoman

Registered
Reaction score
*Thwapp* (the sound of a virtual boot to the head.) I remember that thread.

Romance is my adopted genre (I read it in the early eighties and went back to science fiction and fantasy; rediscovered 'new' romance in 2009.)

Funny thing, I heard all these arguments about SF&F back in the day: that it's immature and escapist, not useful for 'real people'. I stopped caring what Oprah Winfrey thought of books after reading once that she'd never consider reccing a science-fiction book, because her viewers didn't like it .
Well I think Oprah generally only chose books in the upmarket women's fiction genre? That was what her list was all about was it not?

SiennaBloom

Registered
Reaction score
I think readers want predictability. When I reach for a romance, I'm in the mood for a happy ending.

I have read erotica that didn't have a HEA though. It didn't bother me because I didn't consider it a "romance".

What has frustrated me with my own writing is the idea that my male character has to be an Alpha who is perfect. I want to write about the growth of both characters and the male character can't grow without faults. In fact, almost all of my ideas for stories are about how the male grows in the story as much as how the woman grows.

gingerwoman

Registered
Reaction score
I remember reading romance novels when I was younger, and sometimes they were definitely not HEAs. Since when did this trend start, and WHY?

You read love stories. I'm pretty sure you never picked up a romance published by Harlequin that didn't have a HEA.

Mainstream love stories have always been popular too, you just won't sell them to a brand that's focused on romance.

If you write that kind of story and you want to be trade published, you'll probably want to look for an agent that's looking for general fiction, or maybe book-club fiction something like that depending on tone.

Last edited:

Katallina

Registered
Reaction score
Website
kathyanncoleman.blogspot.com
I think readers want predictability. When I reach for a romance, I'm in the mood for a happy ending.

I have read erotica that didn't have a HEA though. It didn't bother me because I didn't consider it a "romance".

What has frustrated me with my own writing is the idea that my male character has to be an Alpha who is perfect. I want to write about the growth of both characters and the male character can't grow without faults. In fact, almost all of my ideas for stories are about how the male grows in the story as much as how the woman grows.

I'm not sure that predictability is quite the right word, since that can be taken to mean that there is a problem with the way that romance readers want their fiction. Stability seems a better fit. Mind you, this could likely be viewed purely as semantics and the intent of your word choice could be entirely different than how I have interpreted it.

That said... With the variety that writers in the romance genre are given via locale, genres, etc. what would actually truly be left to define it without the presence of an HEA / HFN? I understand that the other core requirement of romance is that the growing relationship of a couple must play center stage. But is that relationship truly satisfying without the HEA? And far more important (since I'm sure an individual could attempt to make the argument that it can be--i.e. Nicholas Sparks love stories) is it satisfying to today's romance reader?

Within the current construct of the genre, I'd have to say no. And as predominantly a reader (as I have not yet published or been published) and book blogger, perhaps I can make an attempt to view this from the other side of the glass?

I can't speak for any other reader out there, but I can tell you that when I pick up a novel that I expect to be a romance (which I view as two people falling in love, complete with a happy ending) my expectations and my emotional investment in the book is extremely different than what I put forward when I am reading within any other genre. Romance is, overall, my favorite genre. There is a great sense of satisfaction in seeing two people meant to be together find each other, learn of each other, and ultimately find happiness together.

When one of these things does not happen in a novel, it faces consequences the author will likely never realize happened.

Problem #1: The premise to bring the characters doesn't interest me.

Result: I generally skip the book, since this is usually my draw.

Problem #2: The characters growth together moves beyond good story conflict / challenge and does something I deem "stupid".

I have a harder time believing what I'm reading / that these people need / want / deserve each other within this narrative. This can be redeemed at some point during a novel, but going too far in this direction can actually take me out of a story as I question the hero / heroine's sanity.

Problem #3: The book ultimately fails me because I *thought* I was reading a romance and it turns out I picked something else.

I have DNF'd (did not finish) books for this. I have given bad reviews o otherwise good books because of this. I have sworn off certain authors entirely for this. It's usually not something that I see in standard adult romance. YA is where watching one's step seems necessary. Do I want to start having to go to Chapters to check the ending of each book I buy even though I purchase on Kindle now? No! But between that and reviews, believe me I *will* do that. Because I do not enjoy a surprise ending for a couple that I have invested in emotionally. I don't view it as a clever ploy of great writing.

I only view it as something that really ticks me off. And again: in some cases it results in me deciding to never buy someone's work again.

If I go to expedia and book a flight to Orlando and a week at Disney, I'm not gonna be too thrilled if I end up in Las Vegas because that's 'a more suitable form of adult entertainment'. The reason that organizational systems in a retail structure like a book store exist is so that customers can find what they actually want to buy. No matter how badly you wanna be the next Shakespeare, your romantic tragedy is not gonna fly up the charts by having the "Romance" label slapped on it. Instead, you are likely going to get #DoNotBuy(AuthorName) or #DoNotBuy(BookTitle) tweets, linking to very angry Amazon and GoodReads reviews.

Now, this romance company who decided to start a line specifically for these type of books? I think that's genius! Because the whole point isn't ultimately the sanctity of the Romance genre as some holy grail, but rather the continuation of readers knowing what they are getting and in turn continuing to feel safe bonding with their books that concerns me.

I grew up enjoying Shakespeare (and predominantly his tragedies, at that!) and Greek Tragedies. I have absolutely no problem reading something where everything is gonna go to tell; essentially the literary equivalent of a car wreck someone just can't look away from. I understand and appreciate the importance and value of catharsis. But I want to have a choice about when and whether I indulge in that type of story.

The last thing on Earth we need is anything that results in choice being revoked from women. That shit is so last century. (And all others before it.) I commend men who have the courage to expand their horizons and read or write within this genre, but the stats I looked at claimed 91% of romance readers are ladies.

Moving along, I wanted to touch on another point in what I quoted (even though I know this is getting lengthy!) Male heroes, even (and often especially!!!) Alpha Male Heroes are not and should not be perfect. Do they tend to be handsome, successful and capable? Sure. But any of those things can be called into jeopardy (scarring, a personal or business crisis, health issues and / or recovery, etc.) and there are still a plethora of problems that these characters can have even if the three areas I listed above are not touched.

I'd actually go so far as to say that in today's society, being an absolutely pure Alpha Male could be considered a problem in and of itself within the romantic sphere. What woman is seriously going to put up with that?!

I'm not going to delve further into this here, as I do not want to derail the thread, but the idea that a male character is or must be perfect is problematic for two reasons:

(1) It's boring and strips the plot of interesting areas of potential growth and conflict.

(2) It makes the implication that the female character (and through her, the essence of femininity) is or must always be what is flawed within the context of a romance novel. That cannot possibly be true: if I felt that it was, I certainly would not be as invested in it, nor champion it as highly as I have here and elsewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.