new covers

Straka

Bored Fanatic
Registered
Reaction score
Website
danstraka.blogspot.com
Just wanted to share some of my new covers! I started doing a new cover per episode:

Original series cover:

8ceed52149deb355e4261be5cdd46365

Episode 1:

4f15bd0176b4088cfd2cd0b88aaa4ea7

Episode 2:

041e17da875a8d5ecf90f5e9501e4baa

atombaby

nice & cynical
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elldimensional.wordpress.com
The third one is catchy and very well done. I like your image in a silhouette theme, as I'm definitely into simpler is better. Or less is more, whichever you want to call it. Nice work!

Gale Haut

waxing digital artistic
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.galehaut.com
I do not love the font pairing in the second cover. I also am not a fan of the text stacking on the third.

The imagery is nice.

So what is an episode? Is this for a video web series?

oceansoul

Registered
Reaction score
I really like the original. I would read that.

I'm not sure about the second two. I like the way the third one looks in terms of design and font, but the woman's silhouette is kind of overstated ... which makes me wonder if it's the type of book to objectify women. That could be totally off, but it's what the cover says to me.

Gale Haut

waxing digital artistic
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.galehaut.com
I'm not sure about the second two. I like the way the third one looks in terms of design and font, but the woman's silhouette is kind of overstated ... which makes me wonder if it's the type of book to objectify women. That could be totally off, but it's what the cover says to me.

Ha. Makes me think of James Bond guest starring on Miami Vice. I assumed that was intentional.

greendragon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.greendragonartist.com
My favorite is definitely the third - but I'm from Miami, so might be biased :)

I love the clean lines and simple concept in the third. The second one is far too busy for my tastes, The first one is - meh. A bit too busy, though cleaner than the second.

BradCarsten

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Very striking. You clearly have an eye for this stuff, and they're all great covers on their own. The only problem I see is that there isn't anything tying them together- especially seeing as how they are (as far as I understand it) episodes of the same novel.
Because it's episodic, they will probably be displayed together, and so you may need to look at them as a single unit. If you brought some consistency to the covers, (black back grounds, same font, same author placement and colour) they would compliment each other, building artistic momentum instead of competing. (This is also better from a marketing standpoint) But anyway, like I said, Great individual covers.

Straka

Bored Fanatic
Registered
Reaction score
Website
danstraka.blogspot.com
Thanks for the thoughts everyone!

I do not love the font pairing in the second cover. I also am not a fan of the text stacking on the third.

The imagery is nice.

So what is an episode? Is this for a video web series?

It's a weekly serial, but there are small plot arcs that I wrap up into a "episode" everyone 2 months or so.

Straka

Bored Fanatic
Registered
Reaction score
Website
danstraka.blogspot.com
If you brought some consistency to the covers, (black back grounds, same font, same author placement and colour) they would compliment each other, building artistic momentum instead of competing. (This is also better from a marketing standpoint) But anyway, like I said, Great individual covers.

This a good point, and something I struggled with. I did try that originally, and either I was uninspired by the results or I just lack the talent to pull it off. For example having the title at the top, as in Episode 1, was boxing in the female dancer.

The heavy text requirement really limited the space I had to work with so I tried to keep the author name and title consistent.

Nice thing about Amazon is I can update on the fly. Maybe if the format of Episode 2 works, I bet I could tweak Episode 1 to match.

K.S. Crooks

Registered
Reaction score
I really like all the covers. You do a really good job at fitting the image to the sub-title. I read a lot of the Reacher novel by Lee Child. Those covers are usually forgettable or have little if anything to do with the story. Yours seem to have a nice connection and set the tone.

Straka

Bored Fanatic
Registered
Reaction score
Website
danstraka.blogspot.com
To update this project, the serial finished last fall. Definitely a fun project to keep it going week to week for 36 weeks.

Here were the last three covers:

Episode 3

cffb20f8ec0f00a54ca80a740ef42a2f

Episode 4

dd76aa4c10d4da01e987ebab3b086f5b

Episode 5

0aa31d19421dff3a52bfe63cee2bcf9e