• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

What's On Your Mind About Your Writing?

gettingby

Registered
Reaction score
Just wrote 2,500 words before bed. Probably not the best thing to do in the middle of the night, but I felt drawn to sit at the keyboard. I try to never fight the urge to write. However, it would have been much better if the urge had been to do homework.

Taylor Harbin

Power to the pen!
Registered
Reaction score
Just looked back at a chapter I've been working on the last few days, finished last night, and realized it's 16 manuscript pages in length.

WriteMinded

Derailed
Registered
Reaction score
I think my stories are interesting. I think they are fun to read. However, I know that I may be the only one who thinks that.

Guess I'm my own audience. :D

Marianne Kirby

Blue Hair, Don't Care
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.xojane.com
On my mind about my writing is that I'm making definite progress with my edit, but have had a couple of days away from it and maybe lost a bit of clarity in the process. Might sneak out at lunchtime today and get some done.

Glad to read you are making progress after reading about your earlier frustrations!

I've got a phone call with my editor at noon my time, which is going to be our first time speaking, and I'm looking forward to it and also to clarifying some initial edits. Diving back into this manuscript is going to be great.

Even so, I'm pretty invested in my new project and so I keep thinking about a significant change I made to the main character's circumstances and how that's going to flow through the 12k I have already written.

Last edited:

phantasy

I write weird stories.
Registered
Reaction score
I think my stories are interesting. I think they are fun to read. However, I know that I may be the only one who thinks that.

Guess I'm my own audience. :D

And I thought that was the conventional wisdom. Write the stories you'd like to read and others will too. I don't know, maybe that advice only works if your skill level is high enough.

phantasy

I write weird stories.
Registered
Reaction score
I think that's a pretty durn good insight all by itself. Advice only really works when you've got the foundation to lay it on, so you can experience it in practice for yourself. So build those foundations!

Yay! Let's go! My question is, when's the foundation going to be strong enough?

In other news, I'm getting tired of 'breakthroughs'. I thought of one more perfect change today and while it's great cause I'm learning, I want to be finished of this book already. The first ten chapters have been changed and tweaked a million times and I'm sure a million more to come. Good thing I'm obsessive, or I'd have given up. :)

Last edited:

auzerais

I like puppies.
Registered
Reaction score
Getting excited about this again. Can't wait for my next real session.

fergrex

Registered
Reaction score
I'm not talking about "beautiful prose" at all. The passages I linked to aren't even that stylish.

What I like most can be described as good "small-scale content": details, observations, particular trains of thought, etc.

If we're thinking of the same thing, I've been calling that "story" because I don't know a better word. But not big plot story, smaller sentence and paragraph story. Like from Raymond Chandler's Red Wind

"There was a desert wind blowing that night. It was one of those hot dry Santa Ana's that come down through the mountain passes and curl your hair and make your nerves jump and your skin itch. On nights like that every booze party ends in a fight. Meek little wives feel the edge of the carving knife and study their husbands' necks. Anything can happen. You can even get a full glass of beer at a cocktail lounge."

I count 3 or 4 examples of "story" in that paragraph.

LilyJade

Registered
Reaction score
I'm starting to wonder if my short story might actually make a good prologue to my novel...

Ookiewookie

Registered
Reaction score
I've heard that prologues are looked upon unfavorably by agents and publishers. However, I picked up three random NYT best sellers in a row, and they all had prologues.

My WIP in progress has a prologue. My critique partners, and a few beta readers think it's a good beginning and sets the stage for what's to come.

So, what's a writer to do? Should I ditch the prologue and instead try to weave smatterings of it into back flashes? Dreams? Conversations? Or, should I go with MY gut, and my CPs advice, and let the prologue stand as it is?

Whatcha think?

rwm4768

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I've heard that prologues are looked upon unfavorably by agents and publishers. However, I picked up three random NYT best sellers in a row, and they all had prologues.

My WIP in progress has a prologue. My critique partners, and a few beta readers think it's a good beginning and sets the stage for what's to come.

So, what's a writer to do? Should I ditch the prologue and instead try to weave smatterings of it into back flashes? Dreams? Conversations? Or, should I go with MY gut, and my CPs advice, and let the prologue stand as it is?

Whatcha think?

You could always write your prologue but try to write the story so that it works without it. Then, when you have an agent and publisher, you can tell them that you have this awesome prologue. If they don't think it's awesome, it's no big deal, but they might also decide to make it part of the story.

rwm4768

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
On my end, I'm getting some new ideas on what to write. Maybe going epic with my fantasy is the wrong move at the moment. Now I'm trying to come up with some ideas that are perhaps a little less epic (and lengthy).

I'm also debating the whole trade vs. self-publishing thing. Self-publishing is more appealing than it once was, but I really want to see my books out from a trade publisher.

CheddarBug

Registered
Reaction score
I keep bouncing back and forth between being happy and a little frustrated. It was never my intention to be a romance author and yet, I've fallen into that category. Don't get me wrong, I'm appreciative of the chances given and the stories I have been able to publish, but romance isn't what I want. I want to write urban fantasy and mysteries and though I do I feel like they fall short of being publishable.

Ookiewookie

Registered
Reaction score
Great idea

You could always write your prologue but try to write the story so that it works without it. Then, when you have an agent and publisher, you can tell them that you have this awesome prologue. If they don't think it's awesome, it's no big deal, but they might also decide to make it part of the story.

That's a really good idea. Thanks for the suggestion.

BTW, I trust people who like cats... :)

Last edited:

WriteMinded

Derailed
Registered
Reaction score
Working on 1st revision of wip. I'm a little overwhelmed by the number of tiny details that need to be stitched and patched for the sake of coherence. Makes me want to go on vacation.

auzerais

I like puppies.
Registered
Reaction score
Yesterday, wrote 500 terrible, terrible words.
Today, wrote 500 mediocre words to replace them.
Progress!

Layla Nahar

Seashell Seller
Registered
Reaction score
I'm feeling happy about my increasing endurance. I have been able recently on several occaisions to bichok for two hours - used to be that it was a challenged sticking to it for more than 45mins.

triceretops

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
guerrillawarfareforwriters.blogspot.com

I like this idea and plan on using it for a SF sequel that needs a short amount of back story. If it flies, fine. If not, nobody was hurt in its demise.

tri

WriterDude

Writer?
Registered
Reaction score
I have spent much of the day thinking about the setting. The city writes itself but I wanted a timeless feel in a modern setting. Struggling with that so I have pinned myself to the exact mid nineties.

chompers

Registered
Reaction score
I've been attacked by a massive bunny. I DON'T want anymore stories. I've got plenty I need to finish, thank you very much. So I've ignored this one. And with my sad memory, it's usually pretty easy to forget bunnies when they come a'tickling. But this one won't go away and it's grown massive.

I'm still being stubborn and not writing anything, but the story's not going away. Help me, help me, help me.

Katharine Tree

Þæt wæs god cyning
Registered
Reaction score
Website
katharinetree.com
Outlining went over like a lead balloon. I was so bored, I didn't write during my evening hours.

So, this evening: diving straight into the story. Main character; English lane; preserved forest in the background. Pea gravel, velvet jacket, recent rain. Nosy neighbor. Braided hair.

CathleenT

I write
Registered
Reaction score
I have to put a scene between two exciting scenes, so it has to be a breather. BUT it also has to move the plot forward, show us something about the characters, etc. They're hunting. I can't do a whole scene of them doing nothing but shooting birds.

It should probably be some sort of witty conversation, but for the life of me, I can't think how it will advance the plot. *sighs*

Maybe instead I'll write the short where Andromeda tells Perseus to piss off because he killed a pregnant woman (Medusa) without even attempting to negotiate first. And he left her children to die. My husband wants to read that one.

Except I haven't figured out how Andromeda finds out. That scumbag Perseus wouldn't have told her. I need a logical character for exposition. I can't see the kraken obliging.

willsonjohn90

Banned
Spammer
Reaction score
Website
iwriteprofessionals.com
You know, like Facebook? But instead it's AWbook...lol

Anyway, I thought I would start a thread like that since I haven't seen one. If there is one, you can move this then.

What's on my mind about my writing? Well a lot. I can't seem to stop thinking about writing. Sometimes it sucks thinking about it so much and writing too on top of it! ha!

Anyway, I'm writing my 5th novel right now. It's my third YA book. My first two are with my agent, which she's been great about. I was blessed to find one to represent both of my YAs. So I figured to write another while I wait on my submissions. I'm up to 38K words and nearing the end. I'm hoping to get it up to 50 but I feel like I barely have 10 left in me. I wrote an outline which is helping too but I feel like I'm crawling to write out the rest of it now.

Usually I write out 2,000 words a day, but lately it's barely 500. It seems like I can only do 500 in a sitting and then I get antsy to read it and look back on it. Like I said, I have an outline, and notes and I'm up to the 19th chapter, but I feel like I am forgetting what I write, it's nuts. Then the rest of the time, when I'm not writing, I friggin' thinking about writing. Like I said, it sucks. It's this ficious circle. And I know it won't stop till the novels is actually done, which could be a couple more months.

Anyway, your turn...

What's on your mind about your writing?
/ I have been writing a Thriller Novel for the past two months and almost done with it just some editing is required and also the end is not yet fixed because its too confusing for me to decide it I also started a thread regarding it and I think by next week i will definitely end this.........