Rejectomancy

JJ Litke

People are not wearing enough hats
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jjlitke.com
Hapax, that's odd that you didn't get a response, either.

Rats, the pro markets are so limited for flash fiction.

Hapax Legomenon

Registered
Reaction score
JJ, their submissions grinder page doesn't have any recent rejections, and I saw someone asking if no response yet means an auto reject on Twitter. Do they wait a while after their deadline to send notices?

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Rats, the pro markets are so limited for flash fiction.

How's so? Virtually every pro market considers flash. The only exceptions I can think of off the top of my head are Clarkesworld and Lightspeed/Nightmare. In addition, there are several pro markets that *only* publish flash (and lots of it): Daily Science Fiction, Nature, Flash Fiction Online.

JJ Litke

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jjlitke.com
Well maybe it's not terrible, but The Grinder lists 30 total pro markets that take flash fantasy. Once I rule out specifics for this particular story (like children's, horror, UF, etc) the remainder looks a little slim, especially since one of those already rejected. I'll just keep trying, I guess.

Ty Schalter

Registered
Reaction score
Alex—

Consider, yeah, but at a lot of the bigger markets list flash as a "tough sell" or "very rarely" bought, which scares me off.

Peace
Ty

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
True, it may be a tough sell. But... as opposed to all those novelettes and longer short stories which are a breeze to sell to the likes of Asimov's or F&SF... am I right? :)

Hapax Legomenon

Registered
Reaction score
19 day form R from D@ily Sc1ence F1ction. I didn't get an email either.

JJ Litke

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jjlitke.com
R from F&SF that says he hopes to see more stories from me in the future. That's awfully nice for a form rejection—that is just their standard text, right?

lcg

Registered
Reaction score
This is my first time posting here, but one has to start from somewhere, right?

Two rejections-- One from Bide and one from F & SF. Both asked to submit again.

SaucyPaladin

Silver Over Brass
Registered
Reaction score
Does anyone have a query address for Terraform? Per the Submissions Grinder, I'm the longest out, currently at 58 days. Starting to wonder if I'm lost in a spam bucket.

Sara K.

Registered
Reaction score
Does anyone have a query address for Terraform? Per the Submissions Grinder, I'm the longest out, currently at 58 days. Starting to wonder if I'm lost in a spam bucket.

According to Duotrope, someone there has been out 95 days, and 76 is the longest before a response reported.

Anyway, the 'Contact Us' button at the bottom of the page goes to the editor of Motherboard, or maybe try the e-mail address provided for submissions?

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm at 80 days at Terraform. I have queried at around 65 days (since their stated response time was something like two weeks) and haven't heard back. I queried again a couple of days ago. Again, silence. If I don't hear back 90 days in, I'll be withdrawing.

Ty Schalter

Registered
Reaction score
Oof, that's unfortunate. Was pretty hopeful for that market, despite the feathers they ruffled.

Peace
Ty

WendyN

8-armed cyborg tree
Registered
Reaction score
I'm at 80 days at Terraform. I have queried at around 65 days (since their stated response time was something like two weeks) and haven't heard back. I queried again a couple of days ago. Again, silence. If I don't hear back 90 days in, I'll be withdrawing.

My particular story is a good fit for another submission call that's closing at the end of this month, so if I don't hear back by the end of the week, I'm withdrawing it. Somewhat reassuring to know I'm not the only one left hanging.

Ty Schalter

Registered
Reaction score
Bummer, ACFantasy. Nice that you got that far through one of the most epic slushpiles ever!

Peace
Ty