Old People Writing for Teens, IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smiley0501

Lurker, now activated. :-)
Registered
Reaction score
LOL!!!

Kansas, I'm obsessed with F Scott and Zelda Fitzgerald (ever heard of this lil old novel called GREAT GATSBY? ;) ). I did over 5 yrs of research on the time period, clothing, *their* lives plus anyone they ever interacted with during the 1920s etc in HS. Yea I was kind of a dork...... Oh wait still am.

Stuck In Kansas

Registered
Reaction score
Smiley! Mel! All this talk about being obsessed with the past and reacquainting yourself with one of your past lives has me thinking.

I think I had a mullet in one of my past lives. (Yeah. Everyone's groaning. Here we go again).

Mel! Movies are the best, ain't they? Dr. Kansas and I saw Django Unchained yesterday. I saw the academy awards jokers nominated it for best film of the year. No way. Entertaining, sure, but no way best film!

nightowling

Maybe it was Utah.
Registered
Reaction score
Smiley, have you read The Diviners or watched the movie Midnight in Paris? I'm a fan of the 1920s too and I really enjoyed both, I think you would too

JustSarah

Registered
Reaction score
Website
about.me
I'm going to try not to hold it off any longer. I'm needing to research for the setting of nuclear winter. And I need at least 5 character profiles to start with.

JKRowley

Registered
Reaction score
I was at the movies today. They are doing a remake of The Great Gatsby, with Leonardo DiCaprio.

I love this forum. We have a linguist and a 1920s historian.

BTW: I do not enjoy his books, but am fascinated by Hemingway and that era in Paris and Spain. Fitzgerald is much more stable (and sober).

PBS did a documentary on the Dust Bowl in the midwest, but I think it was mostly in Oklahoma and during the 1930s.

How about going old school and visiting a local museum? They'll often give you a guided tour if you ask. You might learn about landmarks and other stuff you didn't know about in Kansas.

Smiley0501

Lurker, now activated. :-)
Registered
Reaction score
Smiley, have you read The Diviners or watched the movie Midnight in Paris? I'm a fan of the 1920s too and I really enjoyed both, I think you would too

Yup, both of them. My problem with the Diviners was Bray's use of slang... Nobody used that much every 5 seconds, LOL!! But I loooved both Diviners and Midnight in Paris. (Then again I love 98% of Woody Allen movies so. yeah)

mellymel

Registered
Reaction score
Kansas, hubs and i recently saw Hanna. Was actually pretty good. An espionage thriller with an ex-CIA woman who can kick some SERIOUS ass. Me loves! Had a decent cast. We have Crazy, Stupid Love to watch too (from Netflix) but it's soooooo much harder to get me to actually sit and watch a romantic comedy. I'm sure I'll love it, but gah! I'd rather watch horror and gore and suspense and thrillers and action and blood and...

Yeah. I may have some issues.

wampuscat

Recovering adjective addict
Registered
Reaction score
I was at the movies today. They are doing a remake of The Great Gatsby, with Leonardo DiCaprio.

I know. It looks quite good, I thought (despite the fact that I really didn't like the book when forced to read it in high school).

Stuck In Kansas

Registered
Reaction score
JK! It's funny you mention "The Dust Bowl." The book I wanna' write is about a mining town in Southeastern Kansas. A ghost story. The devastated town I'm basing it on is right on the border and into Oklahoma. But since I'm in Kansas, I'm cheating and moving in over into my neck of the woods. I would visit a museum, but...well, hail, I'm a misanthropic sort who doesn't like people. Bah.

Mel! Um. I liked Crazy, Stupid Love. But dont' tell anyone, 'kay? Gah! All I need is for folks to discover I liked a rom-com. I have a curmudgeonny image to maintain, after all. Next thing I'll be tearing up at photos of kitties dressed up like Batman or some sorta' crap. And Hannah's in our queue to watch.

And what's the deal with the new version of The Great Gatsby? It's in three-D!!! What, we're gonna have wallets and a love triangle thrust out at the screen?

parumpdragon

I sometimes hiccup fire
Registered
Reaction score
our satelite provider is having free movie channel viewing for 3 days... I just got to see Chronicles of Narnia:Dawn Treader, and I Am Number Four. :)

free... :D

mellymel

Registered
Reaction score
How was I am number four? I hear very mixed reviews yet I have a feeling I'd like it.

parumpdragon

I sometimes hiccup fire
Registered
Reaction score
How was I am number four? I hear very mixed reviews yet I have a feeling I'd like it.

I've been wondering the same. And heard the same things ;) I haven't read it yet.

I really liked it! I was surprised, I wasn't expecting much from I AM NUMBER FOUR, but it was good.

It pulled me in, and I was a little down that it was over when it had ended.

Kind of like the Hunger Games pulled me in. Just my opinion. :)

FMAnderson

Knocking his head against the wall.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
empirenevadathenovel.wordpress.com
I'm over a lot of the worst of this year. Just gotta suffer through six weeks of potential observations. I might even have more time to edit soon. :)

I was excited to have my two editors tell me they enjoy the opening chapters of my novel! One never holds back, so his opinion means a lot to me. He has six shelved novels! Six! I take it as a good sign that he is into it. :)

nightowling

Maybe it was Utah.
Registered
Reaction score
Does anyone else watch the show 'Nashville'? I'm catching up on episodes and really enjoying it.

Stuck In Kansas

Registered
Reaction score
Nightowling! Apparently I watch every tv show in the world. Yeah, I watch it. But I''m one button away from cancelling it from the DVR. Don't like country music. But, dad-gum, something keeps pulling me back to the show. Finally gave up on "Revenge." Didn't know what in hell was happening any longer.

FM! How're ya? Been a while.

Last edited:

nightowling

Maybe it was Utah.
Registered
Reaction score
Nightowling! Apparently I watch every tv show in the world. Yeah, I watch it. But I''m one button away from cancelling it from the DVR. Don't like country music. But, dad-gum, something keeps pulling me back to the show. Finally gave up on "Revenge." Didn't know what in hell was happening any longer.

Aw, don't hit that button! Yes, the plotlines suck you in. I'm not a huge country music fan but I do like some of it. I have an odd fascination with the country music scene and with music-centric cities (Nashville, Austin, Memphis, etc) so it's right up my alley. Always good to see Mrs. Taylor (Connie Britton) in something, too. I miss Friday Night Lights.

If anyone else likes 'Nashville'/country music, Jennifer Echols (love her) has a future novel coming out that has that setting and a fiddle-playing MC. It's called Dirty Little Secret. The cute cover just got revealed.

Kewii

Registered
Reaction score
I watch Nashville as well :) I'm a big fan of Connie Britton, loved her since Friday Night Lights.

So get this. The place I live has now declared that any mixed marriages that have taken place after January 2010 have to be approved.

From the article:

“The number of such marriages has reached high figures in recent years and there is a need to address the increasingly worrying issue of Kuwaiti women not getting married. The decision is also driven by security concerns amid worries that some of the marriages were based on common interests and not on forming families,” the sources said.

Not sure what this will mean for me and hubby, but he's trying to look into it.

parumpdragon

I sometimes hiccup fire
Registered
Reaction score
I am being featured in two blogs today. These two really great writers fell in love with my cover for Magic&Meru, and decided to spotlight it and the books.

I am flattered, but now my stomach is in knots and I kinda wanna hide...

*Iz shy on the inside, really, seriously - shy*

:chair

Status
Not open for further replies.