Facebook page for your book?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rob Lopez

New Skin; Learning About Thick Fish
Registered
Reaction score
Well, I played around with the options alright.:D I started a page, then it asked me if I already had a facebook account, to which I answered yes. So I created a page with the option to flip between one Rob Lopez or the other.

Got a bit confusing and scarily schizophrenic, and still unable to work out exactly how a shared post from my blog ended up on the correct facebook page. Deleted the whole thing for now. Will try again.:Wha:

merrihiatt

Writing! Writing! Writing!
Absolute Sage
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
merrihiatt.com
Next time answer no to already having a Facebook account. When you answer yes, it will link the two. You want to start fresh, as if you are signing up to FB for the very first time. Sorry you're having difficulty. As a reminder, you need to submit a new e-mail address, as well. You don't want the two accounts linked in any way.

Rob Lopez

Registered
Reaction score
Roger that. Thanks for your patience Merri. Will give it another go.

Rob Lopez

Registered
Reaction score
Well, gave it another go and experienced horrendous difficulties when logging into facebook as a completely new user. The system couldn't cope with me being signed in to facebook as two different IDs from the same computer, so my author ID overrode my personal facebook bookmark, and I couldn't get into my own facebook until I logged out of my author page. Also, I tried to share a post from my blog to the author page and it just wasn't having it. But if I was logged in on my personal facebook, it would share the blog entry there - where I didn't want it.

Frustrating. And facebook is NOT a great interface.:rant:

Anyway, to cut a long story short, I deleted the darn thing (again) and started a page from my original facebook (though changing my name slightly so I could tell me apart) and things went more smoothly. I could use the manage button on the top to toggle between my IDs, my blog post showed up in the right place and I got to invite all my friends from my personal site with just a click.:hooray:

So it's done. But thanks for the encouragement Merri.:e2flowers

Going back to the original subject of this thread, I can see the value in having a page per book now. Having an author page is necessary I think. And that's where most of the updates will go. But giving each book their own page as well means someone can like them and they will appear in their BOOKS section. You don't have to update the book page itself - it just serves as advertising when someone 'likes' it.

I've searched for, and liked, books just by their subject title for my personal facebook (and done the same with bands, etc). It seemed natural to put my favourite books up, and people like to put up what they're reading today.

Just a thought.

Last edited:

Mark Moore

Banned
Reaction score
I created an author page. I use it to share quick updates as well as writing-related vlogs that I post on YouTube.

I also use Twitter to post quick updates.

I have both Facebook and Twitter widgets on my blog, so my blog visitors can see my tweets, Facebook posts, and YouTube videos in one spot.

Rob Lopez

Registered
Reaction score
I didn't know you could link an author page and your personal page. I was planning to set one up and wasn't sure if I would have to use an alternate email.

Yes, it seems you can create any number of pages from your original personal 'base', and toggle between the different names for when you want shared posts to end up on the right page. But you don't need different email addys or passwords, it's all accessed from the same console.

Just make sure that when you finish facebooking for the evening (and if you don't log off) that you do so on your personal ID, otherwise the next day you may forget and comment on your friend's post using your author/book/band name instead. Somebody I know wanted to like my author page, but she was evidently still logged in for her cake-making page. So now there's a cake that likes my author.:D

woodtop255

Heather Topham Wood
Registered
Reaction score
Website
authorheather.wordpress.com
Yes, it seems you can create any number of pages from your original personal 'base', and toggle between the different names for when you want shared posts to end up on the right page. But you don't need different email addys or passwords, it's all accessed from the same console.

Just make sure that when you finish facebooking for the evening (and if you don't log off) that you do so on your personal ID, otherwise the next day you may forget and comment on your friend's post using your author/book/band name instead. Somebody I know wanted to like my author page, but she was evidently still logged in for her cake-making page. So now there's a cake that likes my author.:D

Great! Thanks for the tip!

Status
Not open for further replies.