The MTS Braggatorium

wonderactivist

Registered
Reaction score
Website
luciesmoker.wordpress.com
... so I found out today that I've been published.

Nine years ago, actually. Turns out there's an excerpt from a short story I wrote for a competition[SUP]1[/SUP] in an educational textbook on creative writing ... I'm thinking this doesn't count as a credit for my queries :D

1: I came second, grumble grumble. And it was just a school competition, so there were no prizes as such.

YAY! It does count on your CV if you do freelance work. And I see no reason not to reference it if the book title is decent. Some of tjose academic titles ....

This is cool. You wrote the book per se!

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com

Shara

Fix it in the Rewrite
Registered
Reaction score
Wanted to find a good place to make this announcement, and I think it fits here.

My contemporary Canadian amateur sleuth has finally found a home...with a Canadian publisher.

I've just signed a contract with MuseItUp Publishing for the second Shara Summers books, DEAD COOL. Estimated publication for e-book towards the end of 2014.

My amateur sleuth is a Canadian actress living in London. Although this one some very positive feedback - every publisher I have sent a partial to has requested the full - the most common reason for rejection has been that Americans do not want to read about contemporary amateur sleuths set outside of America.

Perhaps the Canadians feel differently!

Anyway, I am very pleased that she's found a home and I am looking forward to working with my new publishers.

And yes, before anyone asks, my AW handle is taken from this particular character...

Shara

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
Wanted to find a good place to make this announcement, and I think it fits here.

My contemporary Canadian amateur sleuth has finally found a home...with a Canadian publisher.

I've just signed a contract with MuseItUp Publishing for the second Shara Summers books, DEAD COOL. Estimated publication for e-book towards the end of 2014.

My amateur sleuth is a Canadian actress living in London. Although this one some very positive feedback - every publisher I have sent a partial to has requested the full - the most common reason for rejection has been that Americans do not want to read about contemporary amateur sleuths set outside of America.

Perhaps the Canadians feel differently!

Anyway, I am very pleased that she's found a home and I am looking forward to working with my new publishers.

And yes, before anyone asks, my AW handle is taken from this particular character...

Shara

Shara! That's fantastic! I can't wait to buy it. :Sun:

HistorySleuth

Researching History's Mysteries
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gahwny.org
That's still cool onsecondglance. Your first punblishing credit and you didn't even know about it. :)

Very nice cover (as always) Ken and the banner is cool. Very nice of her to do.

Go you Shara! And I think they are wrong. I don't have to have an American sleuth. And TV? I can't get enough of Brit crime shows. I'm running out on netflix. :)

Ken Hoss

Storm Rising A Kelli Storm Novel
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kenhoss.blogspot.com
That's great, Shara!

Thanks, HS. Patti is awesome and I think I'll have her do all my covers going forward. Not that George hasn't done an awsome job, he has, but I like what Patti does and she goes with my vision of what the cover should look like.

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
That is excellent, Shara! Congratulations!! Speaking as a US reader, I always enjoy getting out of my own country when I read, so yay to your Canadian publisher.

I've always loved your covers, Ken - very noir, very intriguing.

wonderactivist

Registered
Reaction score
Website
luciesmoker.wordpress.com

C O N G R A T U L A T I O N S ! And I also disagree with the naysayers. I love to read about sleuths in new places. Best wishes with this!

Introversion

Pie aren't squared, pie are round!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

Hooray! That's excellent, congrats! :partyguy:

vagough

Traveling down the Query Road...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
goughpubs.wordpress.com
Shara, great news -- congratulations! And I agree with what others have said: I really like to read stories set in other countries. Looking forward to reading yours!

Maxx B

Registered
Reaction score
Compared to the rest of the people posting on this thread (Congrats BTW) my post is going to be a little underwhelming. My first attempt at a novel just passed the 10,000 word mark and some of the words are actually quite good.
As I said, not earth shattering - but it's the longest thing I've written and I feel good about it.

pdichellis

Murder! You want fries with that?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
murderandfries.wordpress.com
I’m delighted to report I’ve got a new story published at Over My Dead Body! – a paying ezine market. (Yay!)

OMBD! pays writers, but is free to readers. You can read the story free here.

PS - My story only runs 1,000 words, so definite congrats to Maxx B on hitting a 10k milestone. That’s an accomplishment, so brag away!

Best wishes,
Peter DiChellis

pdichellis

Murder! You want fries with that?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
murderandfries.wordpress.com
Thank you, Lucie. Really appreciate it.

Here's a little TMI: “Dabir” is an Arabian name that means “teacher.” His friend’s name (“Amun”) is Egyptian and means “God of Mystery” (or on some sites, a derivation of a name meaning “the hidden one.”)

I was having some fun clicking around naming sites when I wrote the story, and couldn’t resist these two.

Here’s the main site I used, for anyone interested in such things.

Best wishes,
Peter (which means “rock”)

Ken Hoss

Storm Rising A Kelli Storm Novel
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kenhoss.blogspot.com
Congrats, pd! That is AWesome. :D

Great link too!

Already knew the origin of my first name, but this is fun. :D

In English, the name Kenneth means- Royal obligation; Good-looking; fair.. Other origins for the name Kenneth include - English, Irish, Celtic, Scottish.The name Kenneth is most often used as a boy name or male name.

English Name Meaning - Royal obligation; Good-looking; fair.
Origin - English

Last edited: