• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

New York Times Style Question on use of "The" before Titles

Status
Not open for further replies.

thedark

Weaving through the night.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hiya!

Yes, I know there's a New York Times Manual of Style and Usage. I want it. I lust after it. I stare at it on Amazon, and keep thinking of clicking the "buy" button...

But I haven't. Waiting for my shiny new "writing stuff" debt card to arrive, any day now.

In the meantime, this one question is driving me crazy.

Here's the sentence in question: Brave words for a man facing an inquiry from both the Transportation Security Administration and the Manhattan Justice Alliance.

My understanding (google) is that the New York Times always refers to the TSA as simply "Transportation Security Administration" without the "the", or as "T.S.A.". In this case, spelling it out is appropriate to the context. So is zapping the "the", since it's correct without. Which gets me here:

Brave words for a man facing an inquiry from both Transportation Security Administration and the Manhattan Justice Alliance.

And now we're looking at the "the" in front of Manhattan Justice Alliance. This is a fictitious organization I cheerfully made up that's an alliance between the FBI, NYPD and Homeland Security, plus or minus a few other agencies like the Joint Terrorism Taskforce.

I've consistently called it "the Manhattan Justice Alliance" or "the MJA" throughout the novel (the name only appears inside of New York Times Friend or Foe columns, which are columns, not articles, but I'm trying to follow the appropriate style guidelines.

Do you know if the Times would zap the "the" in front of Manhattan Justice Alliance, or does it depend upon the organization itself? If I'm consistent in my usage of "the", can I let it ride, or should I adapt and treat it like I'll be treating Transportation Security Administration?

I know, I'm putting way too much thought into this. But I'm all about accuracy in the small details, especially since this particular Friend or Foe article is the start of the novel -- way to lose credibility if I do it wrong, you know?

Thank you; all feedback is appreciated.

~ Anna, who does not actually get the Times herself.

K.S. Crooks

Registered
Reaction score
New York Times and Press Releases

I recently had to send out a press release for my new novel. The format guidelines mention what you are taking about. There would not be "the" in statement when referring to the agency. For example instead of saying "A source at the F.B.I. states...", it would be "An F.B.I. source states". I pasted the information below. Hope this helps.

Information about the Format of Your Press Release
Press releases are written in the journalistic Associated Press (AP) style, which differs in certain respects from literary style. Even the smallest media outlet receives hundreds of press releases; a release that is not in AP style runs a greater risk of receiving little or no attention. You may see a number of instances of grammar, punctuation or abbreviation that look strange – these are likely because they are written to AP standards, and not the more common Chicago Manual of Style.
Below are changes that we cannot make and guidelines we must follow with all press releases. More information on AP style can be found at https://www.apstylebook.com/.

1. Headlines and sub-headlines are written in a fragment-like format with missing articles (the, a, an); quotation marks are replaced with single-quotes in headlines and sub-headlines.

2. Datelines are either in the CITY, State (ex: BLOOMINGTON, Ind.) format for the U.S. or CITY, Country (CANTERBURY, England) for most other places. Some prominent cities don’t need a state or country like LONDON or NEW YORK. Canadian cities are CITY, Province/Territory.

3. U.S. states are not listed in postal codes (NY for New York) but are abbreviated to AP standards (Conn. for Connecticut, for example).

4. On first mention, the author’s name is used entirely, including titles (ex: Dr. John Watson). After that, the author is only referred to by his or her last name, no professional or religious titles. “Dr. John Watson, an associate of Sherlock Holmes, was present at the Baskerville press conference. Watson is a decorated captain in Her Majesty’s army and recently returned from Afghanistan.”

5. Titles of written works are placed inside quotation marks, not underlined or italicized.

6. No direct address (you, I, we, us, our, etc.) can be used UNLESS in a quote
• Incorrect: You will enjoy this book.
• Correct: Readers will enjoy this book.
• Correct: Watson says, “You won’t believe what happens in this book!”

7. All press releases are limited to one page in length.

8. The header and footer information, as well as the information in the book information block, may not be modified from what is present in your book’s bookstore listings.

guttersquid

I agree with Roxxsmom.
Registered
Reaction score
Interesting. I just looked up some articles from the New York TImes, and every article used "the" before the names of agencies where appropriate.

The TSA will not remove . . . (TSA is the subject)
TSA personnel will be required to . . . (personnel is the subject)

It seems that when the agency name is the subject of the sentence, they use "the," but when the agency name is an adjective, they do not (see examples above).

BethS

Registered
Reaction score
I think it reads oddly without "the."

Channy

Me Gusta
Registered
Reaction score
I think because you have two agencies in the one sentence, it needs the "the" before each one. If you just said Brave words for a man facing an inquiry from Transportation Security Administration. it doesn't read as wonky. But because you have two agencies/subjects in the sentence, they both need addressing.

thedark

Weaving through the night.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you guys! That's what kept bugging me -- if I had just Transportation Security Administration, having a "the" in front of the Manhattan Justice Alliance made it unequal -- off balance.

The "the" has won out, for both titles.

Thank you.

what?

Registered
Reaction score
Just a note:

You can drop the "the" before TSA, because you can say: "He works in administration." In fact "He works in the administration" is awkward.

But you cannot drop the "the" before your "Alliance", because you cannot say: "He works in Alliance." I didn't check, but I'd guess that the NYT doesn't drop the "the" before any "Alliances".

And you can well say: "He has to face administration and the police." There really is not problem with one having a "the" and the other not having it.

So I'd write that sentence exactly as you did in your question:

"Brave words for a man facing an inquiry from both Transportation Security Administration and the Manhattan Justice Alliance."

Btw, beautiful avatar! Is that you?

Last edited:

Once!

Still confused by shoelaces
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.will-once.com
There is a difference between a headline and a sentence in the main body of the text.

A quick Google suggests that the New York Times prefers to use "TSA" in a headline (because it is short) but uses "the Transportation Security Administration" in text (because it's correct).

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2014/10/08/us/politics/08precheck-tsa-form.html?_r=0

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/07/08/us/new-tsa-rules-for-electronics-on-flights-bound-for-us.html

In your sentence, "the" is correct in both instances.

Hint: if you include words in quotes in a Google search it will deliver results with those words exactly as you wrote them. To find those two examples I googled

new York times "the Transportation Security Administration"

Status
Not open for further replies.