• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

How can I show a character doing a Doubletake

Status
Not open for further replies.

AndreF

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
How can I show a character doing a doubletake?

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
If you have to ask it suggests you don't know and if you don't know how to show it why do you think anyone will understand if you do eventually 'show' it?

Honestly, don't try - simply say so.

Last edited:

AndreF

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Cool. Thank you.

Bufty

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
You are welcome.

Thomas Vail

What?
Registered
Reaction score
Given the speed at which a double-take occurs, it'd probably be clunky to devote too much description to how it happens, instead of just saying something along the line of 'x did a doubletake for reason Y.'

BethS

Registered
Reaction score
How can I show a character doing a doubletake?

You can just say it:

John did a double-take.

Or you can describe it (and there are probably dozens of ways to do that). Some rough examples:

He looked, and looked again, longer this time.

He looked once, then twice.

His gaze slid past her, then jerked back, riveted.

A lot's going to depend on whether the POV character is the one doing the double-take, or if someone else is observing it.

quicklime

all out of fucks to give
Banned
Reaction score
what beth said....there are lots of ways to do it, they all are mostly shuffling and substitution of the words to either say "John did a double-take" or show him doing so

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
Mary was laughing loudly from the other room. John entered, glancing first at her red face, then at the television, but then, something registered on his awareness and his gaze snapped back to Mary. Yes, there it was, a snot bubble, glistening in the light of the television, growing larger with each peel of laughter.

Bufty

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
In my humble opinion I would only interpret a double-take as a double-take if it's simply called a double-take.

These example descriptions of eye or head movement merely suggest to me the understanding/meaning of what was said or done took a little time to sink in or was being slowly registered or wasn't fully believed or.....

There's only one movement for a 'double-take'and most folk know instantly what 'did a double-take' is.

You can just say it:

John did a double-take.

Or you can describe it (and there are probably dozens of ways to do that). Some rough examples:

A lot's going to depend on whether the POV character is the one doing the double-take, or if someone else is observing it.

andiwrite

Registered
Reaction score
You can just say it:

John did a double-take.

These are all great suggestions. Thanks! :)

Sonsofthepharaohs

Still writing the ancient Egyptian tetralogy
Registered
Reaction score
In my humble opinion I would only interpret a double-take as a double-take if it's simply called a double-take.

[snip]

There's only one movement for a 'double-take'and most folk know instantly what 'did a double-take' is.

I agree, in contemporary novels. But can I still use this very modern sounding idiom in a novel set in ancient Egypt? Hmm...

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
I agree, in contemporary novels. But can I still use this very modern sounding idiom in a novel set in ancient Egypt? Hmm...

There's no way to write a novel about ancient Egypt without using modern language, and this includes such things as a double take.

I don't know the language, but I'd guess they had a word for double take, as well.

But of you want to describe it, doing so isn't difficult. Just don't try to get fancy.

BethS

Registered
Reaction score

These example descriptions of eye or head movement merely suggest to me the understanding/meaning of what was said or done took a little time to sink in or was being slowly registered or wasn't fully believed or.....

But isn't that what a double-take is?

From Merriam Webster:

"An act of quickly looking at something that is surprising or unusual a second time after looking at it a moment earlier.

A delayed reaction to a surprising or significant situation after an initial failure to notice anything unusual."

Hillsy7

Registered
Reaction score
You could do it in character POV

"John watched the passing cars with half an eye, seventy-five percent less eyes than he should've been using. But the day was hot and even with the windows down he expected a nap to accost him at any moment. Traffic rolled by in a steady stream, shoving dirty air and sound into his battered sedan: A cream pick-up speckled with rust like the chocolate shavings on coffee; A ford focus that rattled like it was powered by tin cans; a gorgeous chrysler drop-top with an equally repulsive bald dude behind the wheel deep in the throes of a midlife crisis; A souped up hearse surrounded by the smoggy mist of a particularly bad catalytic problem, complete with flaming torches on the sides and zombie-costumed driver; a minivan stuffed full of little faces pressed against the glass; a white truck slashed with green li -

John snapped upright like a man-handled Buckaroo(tm). "What in the name of JFK's pink pants...?"

.....something like that

Last edited:

Twick

Registered
Reaction score
Could you do it in dialogue?

"Well, I suppose - wait, what?"

Bufty

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
That attempt at dialogue definition of a double-take doesn't create a double-take image for me.

A dictionary definition is one thing. An attempt to describe it is another and so is folk's perception of what one thinks one has described.

Sometimes, simple is best.

Ken

Banned
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
or maybe a subtle approach:
description of something vague, about her (good figure)
followed by an in depth evaluation (her measurements, this time)
done well, this might work w/o having to say double take
not that there's anything wrong with just saying so

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
"Doubletake" is one of those words I can't use in my own stories (since it's anachronistic in a pre-industrial fantasy setting that has no film industry).

When/if it happens, I'd probably just write something along the lines of, "She looked away, then whipped her head back around. What in the hells? Why was a dog wearing full court dress?" If it's something I wanted/needed to dwell on or describe.

If it's just in passing, I might just write: "She started to look away, then turned back."

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
That attempt at dialogue definition of a double-take doesn't create a double-take image for me.

A dictionary definition is one thing. An attempt to describe it is another and so is folk's perception of what one thinks one has described.

Sometimes, simple is best.
"He did a double take" assumes that all double takes are created equal. They aren't. Consider the following: http://youtu.be/-dTHaMOz4ws

I'd prefer to show over telling.

Status
Not open for further replies.