Financial books Profitable?

enkidu007

Registered
Reaction score
Anyone here experience or know anyone who is making decent sales with trading books?

I retired from a hedgefund two years ago and pretty bored, however, I don't want to spend time doing anything that doesn't pay. I was hoping to write about program and designing trading systems, since that is what I have been doing for the past 15 years.

My fear is that there is no market for this. I spend a year writing and no sales. Not that I need the money, I'm retired with a comfortable living. However, I just not motivated to do things without monetary reward.

I did do some research on amazon and barns and found some trading books by wiley and read them. They are beyond laughable, no way can anyone make money on that stuff.

So, i'm hoping someone here has some info on sales or viability of trading books. (futures and stocks, not personal finance stuff like suzy orman)

Any info appreciate it thanks.

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Anyone here experience or know anyone who is making decent sales with trading books?

I retired from a hedgefund two years ago and pretty bored, however, I don't want to spend time doing anything that doesn't pay. I was hoping to write about program and designing trading systems, since that is what I have been doing for the past 15 years.

My fear is that there is no market for this. I spend a year writing and no sales. Not that I need the money, I'm retired with a comfortable living. However, I just not motivated to do things without monetary reward.

I did do some research on amazon and barns and found some trading books by wiley and read them. They are beyond laughable, no way can anyone make money on that stuff.

So, i'm hoping someone here has some info on sales or viability of trading books. (futures and stocks, not personal finance stuff like suzy orman)

I don't quite understand your question.

Are you thinking of self publishing? There's no guarantee you'd make any money at all.

Are you thinking of trade publishing? A publisher would be the place to get that info, likely.

As to the books - you say to set up programs and trading systems, which sounds less like financial anything than software design?

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
There is always a market for trading expertise, but there is already a huge crown of self-professed experts giving that advice. You would need some kind of new angle to break through the noise.

Deleted member 42

Look for books by names in the field; there are some hedge fun mangers for instance who have written books.

See if you have something to say that hasn't been said, or that you can say better.

Look for publishers of the kind of book you're thinking about (and no, not a Wiley "Dummies" book or similar books from other lines).

See what their submission guideline are; typically it's a formal proposal and a sample, with a bio, outline, etc. Follow their guidelines.

enkidu007

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. I was hoping someone knew of the success or viability of that category.

WeaselFire

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
... I don't want to spend time doing anything that doesn't pay.
You picked the wrong pastime as a writer... :)

All books can be profitable. Whether an individual book will be depends greatly on the material, the author, the timing and the work put into it. If you already have a syndicated financial show on a major TV network, a history of profitable trades and a client list as long as the list of useless politicians, you've got a shot at money. If not, you may have a very tough time.

There are many non-fiction areas that require a major platform, a well-known reputation, in order to be successful. But there are always little niche areas that are under served and can make a moderate sum. You may have one of them. You may not. What research have you done into the competition?

Jeff