OctNoWriMo 2014!

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
Did 3.5 hours of reading, and the 55-ish pages are done. I'm actually getting faster at reading sociology stuff. Which is good, because I still have about 250 pages of the stuff to read for my literature review!

And the 3.5 hours done today (pretty much in a row) is more than I did in the past 6 days total. :)

ETA: Also just listened to that lecture recording. So I'm now ready for tomorrow's classes. Woo! Not doing any more today. Somehow I only did 4.5 hours of work between 11am and 6pm... Erm, what? I thought I'd been going at it fairly consistently?!

Last edited:

Becky Black

Writing my way off the B Ark
Registered
Reaction score
Website
beckyblack.wordpress.com
Five of eight chapters of the novella done and the next one marked up, applying edits tonight.

Couple of blog posts written. Planning on the NaNoWriMo novel continues.

Sunwords

Registered
Reaction score
Finished rewriting the first scene of my WIP, that I should be editing. But I am nowhere convinced this will work. Maybe I will just let it be for now and continue editing, checking later if this fits in.

I am toying around with my NaNo-Project. I have two sisters and their dead mother - and their problem. Not sure if I should include a nice little murder, just to make it more interesting ^^

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Got almost nothing written yesterday and nothing much today. I have two MCs in two different places and am going back and forth between their stories, and realized I needed to chart out their plotlines side by side so the timeline made sense. I got that done, but it cut into my writing time.

Current WIP word count: 78,482 out of 90,000
Books read: 2 out of 4
Blog posts: 1 out of 2

bdwilson

Dedicated Lurker
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bdwilson.ca
I decided to log in to the NaNo site, since I haven't been by in a while.

I discovered they've added all the years back to 1999 on the My Novels page :partyguy:

I've been waiting for that since they added the past novels feature. I only started in 2005, but at least now I can have them all on there :)http://www.absolutewrite.com//www.pinterest.com/pin/create/extension/

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
Had classes today, which weren't entirely useful. Well, my high-energy mood had me talking more than usual, which sure won't hurt my participation grade in either class, so that's something at least. :) And I also found out that I'm definitely heading in the right direction with the short paper due on Friday, so hooray!

Becky Black

Registered
Reaction score
Website
beckyblack.wordpress.com
I didn't get too much done last night. Well there was a program about cats on! And then Chrome decided to update and break, so I was busy faffing about with that.

But I caught up this morning and I'm basically on track.

eternalised

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Website
majankaverstraete.com
I finished editing "The Fear Club" (working title), a lower grade chapter book in the horror genre. Horror seems to be the only genre I can write in chapter book format, for some reason. It ended up at 13k words.

Not sure what I'm going to do with this one though. It was more of a for-fun project. Not sure if it'll ever see the light on day.

I also added 3k to "Demonic Pact", the sequel to "The Soul Thief", a YA paranormal. So you can certainly say I've been busy!

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
Just spent an hour interviewing mum about an event that happened about 20 years ago, for my Life Writing final short story thing. Being life writing, it needs to be as factual as possible, but also needed to be an event from my childhood. So yeah... That's done now, and I have enough extra information to go on with.

That assignment is actually the final thing I have to submit, on November 14th, so I've got loads of time to work on it. But I couldn't be stuffed working on other homework, and I knew I needed to interview her, and she was actually home, so yeah, I did that.

Might try to edit this short paper now. I've about given up on working on my literature review today, mostly because the next reading in my queue is a behemoth 33-pager... Ick.

ETA: Spent an hour editing the short paper due tomorrow. I managed to cut 50 or so words, bringing it into the word count range, and I'm fairly happy with it. I think I might leave it alone till tomorrow, then hopefully come at it with fresh eyes before submitting.

Now... Do I try to read-n-quote that 33-page sociology reading, or do I give myself the rest of the day off? Decisions, decisions...

Last edited:

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
Decided to submit the short paper tonight, so I could work on my literature review stuff tomorrow without feeling like I should be working on the short paper instead. It was as good as it was likely to get, anyway, so yeah.

Oh, and I also just found out my grade for a book review for my Creative Nonfiction class. I got an A! :D This is the class where my first assignment was the lowest C you can get before it turns into a D, so this A is awesome!

mrsmig

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Another busy day (this time a makeup session and publicity photo shoot for my next show), so once again, not a lot of time to write. I seem to be settling back in to my normal 500 words per day average. :Shrug:

Current WIP word count: 79,057 out of 90,000

Becky Black

Registered
Reaction score
Website
beckyblack.wordpress.com
Finished a last pre-beta pass at the the short novella I'm working on. Will then send it to the first beta (going to send it to one, make her changes, then send it to the other, since it's short and I'm in no rush to submit it.) Meanwhile I'll work on the synopsis for it - alongside my outline for November of course.

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
Did 4 hours of reading this morning, between 4am and 8am, and have now done the 70-odd pages of reading required for next week's classes. It's now just after 9am, and I have the entire day ahead of me to try to work on the literature review (which I did nothing for yesterday).

mrsmig

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Not a bad day - a little bit more than my usual 500 words written, which is good.

Current WIP word count: 79,821 out of 90,000

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
Did a 33-page read-n-quote, bringing me to about 100 pages for the day. Might try to get some more done, as I'm really on a roll here. :)

263 pages left to go on this literature review, though that includes the reference lists and/or footnotes, so it should be significantly less than that. So I can probably get it done in 3 days, if I'm lucky. Tomorrow and Tuesday are looking good for big pushes, and then I'll just need 1 more (or perhaps a couple) day free, which shouldn't be too hard to arrange.

ETA: 22-pager read-n-noted, making about 125 pages for the day, and 241 pages left on the literature review. *flop*

Last edited:

chompers

Registered
Reaction score
I'm kind of just sitting here, numb. My college football team lost - by a freakin' field goal. 3 measly points. And we had been dominating the whole game. I'm still having a hard time wrapping my head around it.

As for writing, haven't done any since the last time I posted. It's been a bad week.

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
19-pager read-n-noted. Well, technically it was a 30-pager, but there were 11 pages of references+blurb at the end of it, as it turns out this article was a literature review in itself, essentially.

So that makes 40 pages done today; 10 readings down, 9 to go; and 190 pages left (including whatever reference lists and blurbs etc. there happen to be). I'm below 200! Woo! :D

Sam Argent

Rygel XVI
Registered
Reaction score
Not a good week for me either since I've ended up having to work at temp job. I'm going in tomorrow so I can't type a bunch tonight either because of my so-so wrists. Looks like it's gonna be one of those catch-up months where I have to double wordcounts in the month's second half.

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
Another reading done, an 18-pager. So that makes 58 pages for the day, 172 pages left to go on this literature review. 11 readings done, 8 to go...

But that's all I'm doing tonight. Going out for dinner soon.

VP_Benni

likes a colorful font
Registered
Reaction score
The NaNo site finally reset! :D

I've had a hectic last couple of weeks because of school/work so I haven't had a lot of time to check in. It's going well though and so far I haven't fallen behind. Right now I'm working on (and at this very moment procrastinating) a formal analysis of two pages from Grant Morrison and Frank Quitely's We 3 -- the content of these two pages is a kind of triggering to me (it involves a pretty gruesome rat death, which is quite a page choice for me considering I was attempting to write a similar paper last term with the same professor when my rat died), but since I'm so sensitive to the material I'm getting a lot more out of the form of it than I would otherwise. I still have a lot of work to do today on top of that.

My new job is going more than well. I keep accidentally impressing my boss... >.> I work for my school's Center for Media and Educational Technologies in the library, so we check out tech equipment, set it up in classrooms for instructors, and troubleshoot when things go wrong. I've been there for two weeks and I can already feel that I'm not being treated exactly the same way as the other new people (though in a good way). First off, on my first day I was assigned to go pick up some equipment for a classroom by myself -- not something they usually do for first day people, but they were shorthanded that day -- and I did not mess up. By week two I could set up equipment by myself without needing to shadow people, and the really weird part was one of the slightly newer people (a whole week newer than me) was told to shadow me while I was setting up a document camera. I took on an extra shift last week because one of the other new people decided she didn't want to work here after all and they were shorthanded. I troubleshooted a microphone in a classroom myself (which involved literally running across campus so I could get back to the office before my next shot). And on Fridays I'm scheduled to be the only student worker in the office for a period of an hour and a half (usually there are at least 2-3 people there, at least one of which is not brand new), and I ended up taking on extra shots because there was nobody else to do them. I'm working as if I've been there for a year instead of just two weeks. :tongue I really love working there, though, and I'm definitely enjoying myself.

I'm currently procrastinating with the thought of what I want to do with my spring break this year... A group of us from my honor society want to take a trip to Albuquerque for that first weekend for the annual convention... But I really, really want to go back to San Francisco. I've been wanting to go back since I left... What I'm thinking now though is I'll go to Albuquerque and after the convention I'll split off and take the train... I could stop in Arizona to visit a friend who goes to uni in Phoenix, then I could stop in Los Angeles and San Francisco for a few days before heading back home... I don't know. I'd just like to get out and explore a little bit rather than just coming back home a few days after the break starts. Alternatively, I could go on another alternative break trip... There's one that focuses on the Queer community that takes place entirely in San Francisco, which I'd enjoy immensely both because of the work involved and the location... But I'd really like to go somewhere new too...

Of course, it's only October, so I'm just whining. :tongue

~Amber~

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
Woke up early this morning, and did a 21-page read-n-quote. Down to 151 pages left on this literature review. Woo! 12 readings down, 7 to go.

I have class later, so I won't be getting much else done today, I expect. But that's why I got up early.

retromaisie

Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
I saw on twitter that registration is open for nanowrimo 2014. I haven't ventured over yet. I'm hoping to finish this phase of edits of my current wip, get it sent out to a few beta readers, and then work on a mid-grade novel that's been pestering me for two years now.

Chapter 4 edits done today, onto Chapter 5. Only 15 total... at least they aren't terribly long.

VP_Benni

likes a colorful font
Registered
Reaction score
I just finished the first draft of my paper. It turned out to be 8 pages long. Minimum page count was 4. Luckily my professor doesn't assign maximum page counts so I don't have to worry about shortening it. I'll give it another pass later, of course, but I'm tired of looking at it right now. Netflix or another reading or homework assignment sounds more appealing right now.

~Amber~