Writing a book about a book

110pages

Registered
Reaction score
Hello,

I am interested in writing a book about a previously published nonfiction book. I want to contrast the situations written about in the book with the actual way those situations turned out to show how correct or incorrect the original author was.

For example (and, this is only an example so, please, ignore the politics):

Michael Moore wrote "Fahrenheit 9/11" in 2004 which was critical of President Bush and the War on Terror. Now, in my hypothetical example, I want to write a book about how accurate Michael Moore was with his criticism in 2004.

My question: Do I have to get permission from the original author or his publisher to write such a book?

Thanks much!!

Mike

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sat Nam! (literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

How much of the other book would you be quoting? That's a key question.

Why does it have to be just this book...and not a whole lot of other books or articles etc.? That's another. (You don't have to answer that here if you don't want to.)

I'm not a lawyer. Most of us here aren't. What you're going to need is someone versed in publishing law to help you with this.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
As Siri said, you'll need someone well versed in copyright law to advise you. The wsy I understand it, you can write all you want about a book as long as you don't quote large sections of it, which it seems you would have to do in this case. Quoting short passages is allowed under fair use (as far as I know) but quoting wholesale passages would violate it. Probably because your book wouldn't exist without the other, older book. Books in the public domain, like from the 1800s, are fair game as long as they are actually in the public domain (I remember reading that some are not). Hence the need for accurate legal advice.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Just write it. If it's any good, a publisher will show you how to make it legal.