Diary of a Wannabe Cover Artist

Feldkamp

Registered
Reaction score
So I enjoy doing very amateur doodles in ps - mostly with blending colors and inanimate objects. Today I was thinking I might turn my rough scribbles into cheap, premade cover art and charging maybe like $10-15 per.

My question is totally out of vanity and my own self-consciousness, but do you think there's any kind of market for these kinds of covers?

Below are a few mock ups I did over the past few days. The art is really basic, and I don't want to bother opening up another site if they probably wont sell.

CrownF_zps1db748e9.jpg
AppleF_zps5afca752.jpg
ButterflyF_zpsde75d5f9.jpg

Last edited:

Toothpaste

THE RECKLESS RESCUE is out now!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
I absolutely think so! I really like your covers a lot!

A few things to keep in mind:

1. You say these are your doodles so I assume they are all your original artwork? If you got the original inanimate object images from anywhere, are they free for use?

2. Ditto question on the fonts. Where did they come from? Do you have the right to use them?

Copyright is a HUGE issue and since you are selling your covers for other authors to use for their books to try to sell them, make sure all that is settled. Otherwise I think your vanity should feel perfectly satisfied. I for one think these are lovely! :)

WeaselFire

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My question is totally out of vanity and my own self-consciousness, but do you think there's any kind of market for these kinds of covers?
Absolutely not. Ignore the hundreds (thousands?) of other people doing this and earning money. Forget the many thousands of books published with these types of pre-made covers that the authors have paid for. Your future lies exclusively in designing vacation housing for the coming Zombie apocalypse.

Jeff

LizzieBrooks

Ah, September!
Registered
Reaction score
I love your colour sense, and I think that these kinds of simple graphics are great for people who sell online since their customers see the thumbnail version of the cover first.

I vote that you put them up for sale!

Feldkamp

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you so much for the feedback everyone - much appreciated. I think I will go ahead and start a small site tomorrow. Maybe I can manage to sell a few just as a side project to help fund editing and cover art for my actual writing. :)

1. You say these are your doodles so I assume they are all your original artwork? If you got the original inanimate object images from anywhere, are they free for use?

2. Ditto question on the fonts. Where did they come from? Do you have the right to use them?

The images are all original and mouse drawn by me. I'm only using public domain and free for commercial use typefaces. Hopefully I should be safe in terms of legality/copyright issues.

Absolutely not. Ignore the hundreds (thousands?) of other people doing this and earning money. Forget the many thousands of books published with these types of pre-made covers that the authors have paid for. Your future lies exclusively in designing vacation housing for the coming Zombie apocalypse.

Sarcasm duly noted, though the question was pertaining to the aesthetics and not the general practice.

SBibb

Registered
Reaction score
Website
sbibb.wordpress.com
Go for it. They have a nice quality to them. And if you're creating everything from scratch... all the better. You don't have to worry about stock licencing. :)

You might consider looking around at other sites that sale premade covers. I'm wanting to say that $10-$15 may be a bit on the cheap end... but I could be wrong about that.

I do like the coloration and earthy textures you've got. Create a few more to offer, and it's pretty easy to start you're own site. I'd suggest maybe using a blog site as a starting point, since they're easy to do basic customizations with. (I use wordpress).

I think you've got a decent starting point. Maybe play around a little more with font placement, but what you've got doesn't look bad.

Good luck with selling your covers. (Just be sure to have a contract ready with your terms for anyone who's interested in purchasing a cover to use). :)

girlyswot

Registered
Reaction score
Website
myromancereviews.wordpress.com
I think you should consider charging more. These aren't based on stock photos but on original artwork, so people know that there won't be any other similar covers out there. Your price should reflect both the time and skill of your art AND the time and skill for making it into a cover. Plus if you charge more, you send the message that your covers are worth more.

I'd look at the $40-$50 range, with maybe a special discount for a launch promo. But make it clear what the normal price will be and what the discounted rate is, so that people know they are getting a bargain.

Dr-I-Know-All

Registered
Reaction score
These are actually fantastic! I'd definitely pick up a book with a cover like that, hands down. Sell, sell, sell! If I ever self-publish, I'm coming to you.

Feldkamp

Registered
Reaction score
Alright, I did a little more research and have decided to raise the price point to $35 per cover. Thank you for pointing that out; I was surprised to find that even some less than stellar premade sites charge absurd amounts, though I imagine stock image costs play into that.

As much as I dislike hyphenated domain names, I couldn't pass up on the one I chose: www.premade-covers.com

Simple. Straight forward. Hopefully SEO friendly.

I made an FAQ page to address any legal issues and wrote up a brief purchasing contract. And now I'm off to work on a couple more covers.

Thanks again for the feedback everyone. :) Wish me luck!

SBibb

Registered
Reaction score
Website
sbibb.wordpress.com
Nice choice of domain name. I imagine it'll be easy to find on search engines with a little work.

I would note, if you have the option to work at 300 dpi, you might want to. It increases the amount of places the cover can be used. :)

Feldkamp

Registered
Reaction score
Had to post, because I'm excited and have precious few people to share my joy with beyond the online world. I sold my first two covers! :partyguy:

I only needed one sale to be profitable (cover the $18 domain name). I was half tempted to blow the money on a better theme, but I've decided to hold off on that. Instead I reinvested in some stock photos to do covers that are not just mouse art. I've also started working in 300 dpi - thank you for the advice! These are the two covers that got handed off last night:

ASwordFinal_zpsf0562a1d.jpg
FairestFinal_zps95365219.jpg

My husband stole my laptop for the day, and it has all my doodles on it. Since I had no motivation to draw from scratch today, I decided to make a go at manipulating stock photos into cover art. I'm using at least two images per cover to hopefully make them somewhat original/separate from their stock photo counterparts. This has surprisingly been way more time consuming than my mouse art. Spent easily seven hours on these today, and I'm still not totally satisfied. I'm also far to lazy to reorganize the website to accommodate them, so that'll have to wait until tomorrow.

I'm not perfectly certain on where to set my price point. I'm leaning towards leaving everything at $35 until I have a decent portfolio/client base.

Earth_zps66800ea8.jpg
Cat_zpsd65d9d93.jpg
Love_zpsfa35446f.jpg

Okay, that's all I've got. Will eventually post in the cover artist's section when I have more of a back stock.

Last edited:

Elly_Green

Daydreamer or Living Nightmare
Registered
Reaction score
Website
eratosmusings-erotica.blogspot.com
Glad to have been your first sales! Just knowing you made a profit makes me happy since you have a definite talent and I am glad I happened upon this thread. Good luck on future sales and much more fun with cover art!

I am very happy with my purchases... they are so gorgeous I can't help but look at them and sigh.

Rina Evans

Registered
Reaction score
Damn, I love those covers. Good for you! Mouse drawn? Which program do you use? I struggle very badly with mouse drawing.

A couple suggestions. I'd suggest linking to the order form on top, instead of having it on the same page on the bottom. Also, I suggest making the 'SOLD' a bit more transparent or smaller so the art can be seen on those covers as well.

ssbittner

scientist, artist, writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ssbittner.com
I think these covers are very nice! They look much more professional than some I've seen for sale. And I'm impressed you can draw these with a mouse. If you take my stylus away, I'm helpless.

SBibb

Registered
Reaction score
Website
sbibb.wordpress.com
Your manipulations are quite a nice start, too. Especially the Mother Earth one. Good luck with them. :)

sreeves2

Registered
Reaction score
I honestly think you have a lot of potential! Sadly, I'm no artist, so I can't really offer any advice! But I would certainly keep working at it
:D

NicaCurt

Registered
Reaction score
Awesome covers. I love your style in the drawn pieces.

...And I'm jealous of your mouse-art. What program do you use?

Feldkamp

Registered
Reaction score
Oh, didn't see this got resurrected. Thank you! I started doodling in MS paint, lol. Over the past year I've moved on to using the slightly more sophisticated digital painting tools in photoshop. ;) The more detailed stuff I usually sketch out the line art on paper before scanning it and adding layers of color and texture. Honestly, I wish I knew how to illustrate more cleanly. But ah well. We'll just call it a style difference.

Rebekkamaria

Pixie with dust, beware
Registered
Reaction score
Your art is actually fabulous. :) Good luck with the whole business.