Last Game you have played...

Six Alaric

The terror, the terror
Registered
Reaction score
I'm finally getting around to finishing my playthrough of Borderlands 1. I'm playing as Brick. Being able to punch an enemy's head off is incredibly cathartic.

:D

You just reminded me I need to finish Borderlands 2.

J.W., they're more fun in co-op, aye, but they're perfectly playable alone too.

Right now I'm on The Last of Us. This game is intense.

Hyperminimalism

I'm a Bolerian
Registered
Reaction score

I don't know how many times I've played and beat The Last of Us. I know it has to be at least four times--one for each difficulty level. Beyond that, I think I've beat it another six times. It's been my go-to game since it came out last June and I still absolutely adore it. The single-player DLC Left Behind is coming out on Valentine's Day, so I'm pretty excited about that, too!

Six Alaric

The terror, the terror
Registered
Reaction score
I don't know how many times I've played and beat The Last of Us. I know it has to be at least four times--one for each difficulty level. Beyond that, I think I've beat it another six times. It's been my go-to game since it came out last June and I still absolutely adore it. The single-player DLC Left Behind is coming out on Valentine's Day, so I'm pretty excited about that, too!

It's great, isn't it? This has to be my third run through and it's no less discomforting than it was the first time. The parts where you play as Ellie are especially unnerving.

Also, I had no idea there was going to be DLC! Thanks for mentioning that. Must check that out.

Last edited:

mahervolous

Middle Grade Man
Registered
Reaction score
Last of Us was amazing, and I still hate Clickers with my whole heart and soul. I'm playing Red Dead Redemption for the first time since it came out, and I forgot how much more fun I have playing it than GTA. The world is just so much richer, but that might just be my preference of historical over modern stuff. Either way, it's a good time.

AustinT

Just keep on writing.
Registered
Reaction score
I just started Far Cry 3 (after devouring Blood Dragon in just a couple weeks.) I like the story so far, but perhaps the game is too big... I feel like I'm spending most of my time wandering long, empty patches of jungle.

Hyperminimalism

I'm a Bolerian
Registered
Reaction score
It's great, isn't it? This has to be my third run through and it's no less discomforting than it was the first time. The parts where you play as Ellie are especially unnerving.

Also, I had no idea there was going to be DLC! Thanks for mentioning that. Must check that out.

I stupidly stayed up past midnight to download and install it. There were several updates my PS3 needed to take care of, too, so that didn't help. But I ended up playing through it, and I beat the DLC at around 2:35 a.m. I needed to be up at 7:45 a.m., though. xD

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
I'm on hour 321 of Empire: Total War, or as I call it, the High Water Mark for the Total War series.

I admit, fully, that this is a personal water mark...the reason is simple.

I.

Love.

The era.

The 1700s were a period revolution and advancement, where old ideals and new technology clashed with shot and steel bayonets. It is global in scope, and yet it is just as interesting to manage the tiny Prussian kingdoms as it is to conquer the world as the British.

And, I admit it, the formation and set-piece battles of the era are gorgeous to watch, especially with the right visual mods that make smoke hang around properly. There is nothing quite like watching the field of battle vanish under a haze of black powder smoke.

The only thing that would make it better...would be adding dragons.

Anna_Hedley

Fuelled by tea and crumpets.
Registered
Reaction score

Yeah, I started a playthrough alone and got up to level 20 or so. Then started playing with my partner, so we can get the co-op achievements. I don't find the actual gameplay much different (he's a significantly higher level than me because he played while I was on a work tour, so he's promised he will let me handle the fights on my own and only come and heal me if I'm really struggling) but it's fun to have someone to talk to and shout "BOOM headshot!" at. :D

lilyWhite

Love and Excitement
Registered
Reaction score
My focus at the moment is Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII. It's been fantastic so far, with lots of heart-tugging quests and a very rewarding battle system. It's a very beautiful game, even without considering all of the outfits—though I won't lie and say that I haven't spent tons of time tweaking the colours of garbs and fine-tuning my schemata.

In between, I'm playing Lufia: The Ruins of Lore, which has been quite charming and fun so far. Though something's come up in the story which has bumped up the game's awesomeness by an infinite factor, something that I shall sum up in ten words: DEKAR DEKAR DEKAR DEKAR DEKAR DEKAR DEKAR DEKAR DEKAR DEKAR DEKAR DEKAR.

Ten words weren't enough for the awesomeness that is Dekar.

SapphireGuardian

Registered
Reaction score
Website
igg.me
I needed something relaxing and easy and I've found Air Conflict: Pacific Carriers, some sort of arcade shooter in my Steam library. Maybe I got it via one of the bundles, but regardless where it's from, after few hours of play, I have to say that this game worth my time. It reminds me for my other favorite, Battlestations: Pacific, but here you control only the aircrafts. As CAG, you have to manage your carrier squadrons. I just finished the American campaign, and I just started the Japanese, which also has decent missions. While it's not a Jane's U.S.A.F., it's far from it as it's an arcade game, it has a great atmosphere, a decent campaign, and the air battles are dense and beautiful.

Kyra Wright

Skulduggery and haberdashery
Registered
Reaction score
Long Live the Queen (it was on sale on Steam for Valentine's Day). I didn't expect it to be so addictive.

DragonHeart

Oerba Yun Fang
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.thefinalfantasy.com
Dragon Age: Origins. Almost at the end, just tying up side quests, which I admit at this point I'm tempted to just skip and get on to the archdemon because this'll be my first time completing the game. Yeah I know, only 5 years late. XD TBF the console version can be artificially hard due to crappy controls/bad party AI. It also doesn't help that the walkthrough I was using (mostly for character relationships) had the main quests in such an order that I ended up being several levels too low for an area and ended up taking a break in frustration. =/ Glad I got that sorted out.

I haven't actually played it yet but I'm downloading The Last of Us to play for the first time. I've been wanting to play it but have always been turned off by the graphic violence...but then I figured, I've played Tomb Raider and it can't be that much worse, right? I don't handle gore too well but I can deal with it better in games for some reason.

DarthLolita

Razor Girl
Registered
Reaction score
I haven't actually played it yet but I'm downloading The Last of Us to play for the first time. I've been wanting to play it but have always been turned off by the graphic violence...but then I figured, I've played Tomb Raider and it can't be that much worse, right? I don't handle gore too well but I can deal with it better in games for some reason.

I loved the Last of Us, but that is one depressing game. I think I played it at the same time my brother and dad were playing it, since we got it pretty close to release day. There's a particular scene that just made me too angry and sad to continue on, and according to my mother (who watched us all play on different occasions) all three of us just stopped after that one particular moment. Admittedly, we went back to it after a break and finished it. Can't deny that it's a great game, but it can be really brutal.

Melanii

Talking Fruit
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thestrawberryscribe.wordpress.com
Dragon Age: Origins. Almost at the end, just tying up side quests, which I admit at this point I'm tempted to just skip and get on to the archdemon because this'll be my first time completing the game. Yeah I know, only 5 years late. XD TBF the console version can be artificially hard due to crappy controls/bad party AI. It also doesn't help that the walkthrough I was using (mostly for character relationships) had the main quests in such an order that I ended up being several levels too low for an area and ended up taking a break in frustration. =/ Glad I got that sorted out.

Heh, this is the last game I basically played as well. I'm almost about to beat it for the first time, haha. Can't wait.

I'm also playing FFXIV a lot lately. Yup.

And Bravely Default. :p

KateSmash

this was a triumph
Registered
Reaction score
Picked up Remember Me (yay "free" games) and it's not bad. Not breaking any new ground for action games, but I'm engaged enough by the narrative to keep climbing things and clobbering mobs. And a fully clothed female MC (bonus for maybe not being white (she's kinda racially ambiguous best I can tell)) is always a welcome sight. Plus, it's given me that little touch of cyberpunk I've been craving.

Kyra Wright

Skulduggery and haberdashery
Registered
Reaction score
I've been playing through the Bravely Default demo, and am planning to buy the full game once I have all the demo bonuses.

Lissibith

On target
Registered
Reaction score
I've gone terribly retro lately. Been playing the original Alone in the Dark from 1992 as well as .hack//infection on the PS2. >.>

Maggie Maxwell

Making Einstein cry since 1994
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thewanderingquille.blogspot.com
Earth Defense Force 2025 has been the game of choice at the Maxwell house (do not ask about coffee we do not have any). I worked at Gamestop when the first game, EDF 2017, came out. We pulled the game out of the shipment box and all went "wtf is this?" No preorders, no reviews, we had not heard about it until that moment, so we did the only rational thing and popped one of the three copies into our store's XB360. It sold out within minutes. Everyone who worked there wanted it. Everyone who saw it and got to play it wanted it. We couldn't keep it in stock for weeks and called other stores for their copies. No other game we ever got during my time there was so unnaturally popular. So when the sequel came out (Insect Armageddon doesn't count, it was made by another company and is not HALF as good), we jumped on it.

2017 and 2025 are a play on all those old giant alien bug or Japanese kaiju movies. You fight enormous ants, spiders, walking robots, and spaceships as the little grunt ground troops. Except the little grunt ground troops get rocket, missile, and grenade launchers, assault and sniper rifles, and infinite ammo. You find and unlock literally hundreds of various weapons from a little homemade flamethrower to the Genocide Gun that destroys entire city blocks.

The voice acting is well done while keeping the silly/stupid corniness of those old movies ("I need ammo!" "...I forgot the ammo!"). Your AI teammates are completely competent and can hold their own while you collect dropped goodies. 2017 has local co-op, while 2025 has local and online. ALL the buildings and most of the scenery are 100% destructible. 2017 has one class and hundreds of weapons, while 2025 has 4 classes (ranger [normal weapons guy], wing diver [flying bombers], air raider [summons outside help, like mechs to pilot and bombing runs], and fencer [walking tank]) with hundreds of weapons for each class. 2017 had around 52 missions, 2025 allegedly has near 80, both with 5 levels of difficulty.

My fangirling is getting a bit long here, so I'll just say EDF is an amazing, under-appreciated series and you guys should try it. :D

tl:dr - Earth Defense Force 2025. It is good.

Last edited:

BMajor

Probably judging you.
Registered
Reaction score
Just picked up Banished off Steam (although I probably should have gone through the developer's site) and I literally cannot stop playing.

It's not my first city builder game, and it's definitely different from most in that it's pretty simple. But it's a lot of math and timing.. and micromanaging.. and ugh.

I can't stop.

Maggie Maxwell

Making Einstein cry since 1994
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thewanderingquille.blogspot.com
Just picked up Banished off Steam (although I probably should have gone through the developer's site) and I literally cannot stop playing.

It's not my first city builder game, and it's definitely different from most in that it's pretty simple. But it's a lot of math and timing.. and micromanaging.. and ugh.

I can't stop.

City builder/strategy games: Please leave your soul and free time at the door.

Rebe14

Registered
Reaction score
I'm picking up my DS again and bought Soulsilver Pokemon yesterday. On my way to get my first badge now.