Resource Du Jour

Status
Not open for further replies.

Betty W01

RDJ: Forward Motion Community

I don't think you can find a better bunch of people than the regulars who hang out here on the AW boards. However, if you're looking for a like-minded community and sci fi/fantasy is your thing, check out the boards on sci fi author Holly Lisle's web site.

fmwriters.com/community/

Not only are message boards offered, but you can take (and give) classes, hold conferences, chat, and even become part of a virtual nation with plans to take over the world.

...OK, we have a virtual nation, too - more of a 'hood, really - but we're not too organized and we keep getting side-tracked by silly prompt writing sessions, virtual drinking parties, "can you top this" joke sessions, and smiley-hunting competitions (in which I believe I am currently ahead...). Still, we're having fun and most of us are actually getting stuff written, too! Amazing, isn't it??

Last edited by a moderator:

Betty W01

RDJ: goBCL [file conversion]

www.gobcl.com/

Got a file you need converted to pdf or html? Go to the above link and take care of it. I tried having one of each done, and they worked out great!

Betty W01

RDJ: Post-It™ Lite Software [free]

If you love Post-It Notes even half as much as I do, you'll love this electronic version. You can paper your screen with them and they won't fall off in a breeze. You can post deadlines, markets you don't want to forget, notes to remind you to pick up kitty litter, you name it. And when it's time to toss one, they make the funniest popping sound! Take a look -

www.3m.com/market/office/postit/com_prod/psnotes/download_lite.html

Betty W01

RDJ: Purdue University's Online Writing Lab

An AW board member* passed this link on to me and it was too good to keep to myself. If you want help with your writing, this is the place to start. And if English is not your first language (or you work with ESL students), a portion of this site that you may find helpful is devoted to writing for an American audience. (No offense meant to Aussies and Brits and other English speakers who read this - Purdue is an American institution, after all...)

owl.english.purdue.edu/

*thanks, toto

Betty W01

RDJ: Yahoo Messenger [for IM'ing]

Need to talk to someone about something privately and the chat room private area keeps popping in and out, making you afraid you'll post something private somewhere public? Want to talk in real time to a friend or family member halfway around the world, without spending a fortune on phone bills? Trying to co-author something and need to talk over a plot twist? Download Yahoo Messenger, let your friends know you're on it now, and let the good times roll!

user.gif
messenger.yahoo.com/

Betty W01

RDJ: Call Wave

If you're tired of missing calls because you are on-line, and you can't afford a second line, you may want to investigate Call Wave, the Internet answering machine. I used it for a while before we got Call Catcher, and it worked well. Call Wave is a good way to juggle being on-line and being available to your family and friends at the same time.

www.callwave.com/landing/CORP_Main.asp

Betty W01

RDJ: Fanny and Vera's Helpful Hints & Timely Tips...

for Civil War Reenactors. If your WIP is set during the Civil War, be sure to go spend some time looking through this site for authentic material on clothing, eyewear, cosmetics, money etc. for CW civilians. It includes pictures of many items and if you're into actually being part of a reenactment, it even has patterns and tips for cheap outfitting.

Their home page is at www.shasta.com/suesgoodco/newcivilians/index.htm

The link page is really useful, as well:www.shasta.com/suesgoodco/newcivilians/resources/links.htm

Betty W01

RDJ: Organize Your Computer Files [an AW production]

Are you tired of losing your research notes on your hard drive? Disgusted because you can't figure out where you last sent a certain story? Behind the eight ball because the query you sent was finally accepted - and you can't remember what you pitched, it was so long ago? Guylaine Spencer has an easy, fast way to keep track of your writing if you do a lot of articles or stories. See what you think...

www.absolutewrite.com/freelance_writing/organize_computer.htm

Betty W01

RDJ: Find Tutorials

If Excel confuses you as much as it does me, :Headbang: you'll be thrilled to find a tutorial you can go through at your own speed. Find Tutorials has several, as well as tutorials for other programs. Here's where:

tutorials.findtutorials.com/index/category/103

Betty W01

RDJ: Write4Kids [free e-books]

www.write4kids.com/ebooks.html

If you want to (or already do) write for kids, this site is an absolute need-to-go-there place for you. It has tons of good articles and even offers free downloadable e-books on the the topic. Enjoy!!

Betty W01

RDJ: One Look Dictionary

www.onelook.com/

Need the exact definition for "decrepit"? Want to use a single word to refer to someone who is old and feeble, but you can't think of the right word? (Hint: check the first sentence...) One Look offers:

a dictionary with a wild card search function - type in a word led or followed by an asterisk and get words in which your word is a part - teen* would produce teen, teenaged, teenager... (can you tell my kids are on my mind today? The two youngest both graduated from HS yesterday, the son after dropping out two yrs. ago!)

a reverse dictionary - enter a phrase or question and get a list of words and phrases that the site's logarithm thinks may work - not as useful, but still in process - as of now, this function comes up with some pretty far-out terms, many of which will make make you scratch your head and wonder exactly what the programmer was on when he designed it....

the "Word of the Day", for you wordies out there. (Hey, if people who like and use food in their professional lives can be called "foodies"...)

poppyhullings

Re: RDJ: Write4Kids [free e-books]

Just wanted to thank you for posting these, Betty. I've found several of them quite useful. :)

Betty W01

Re: RDJ

I'm taking a weeklong break from RDJ, to spend on my writing. I'll be back...

Betty W01

Re: re: thanks...

Well, the break turned into a bit more like several weeks, but I'm back. Watch this spot for the next post...

Betty W01

RDJ: The Home of Heroes

I should have posted this on Memorial Day, but...

HomeOfHeroes.com has loads of information about US Medal of Honor winners, as well as more than 20,000 pages of US History for you to view.

I am using the page of medals that are awarded to and won by US Marines as the starting place, in honor of my daughter Lisa, whose dream was to become a USMC helicopter pilot. You can click on the "Return to display" picture to go back to the beginning and find medals from other branches. There's a lot of information about the military here, for those of you who are writing military thrillers, history stories, or current events.

www.homeofheroes.com/medals/by_branch/1_ribbons_usmc.html

Betty W01

RDJ: AW - Gaie Sebold's Errata

Gaie Sebold is a funny Londoner with an interesting way of expressing humorous thoughts. If you write humor (or just need a laugh), check her column out from time to time. I love her stuff! (Those of you who are faithful readers of all things AW probably already know about her. Sorry.)

www.absolutewrite.com/fun/errata.htm

Betty W01

RDJ: US Nat'l Pk. Service's Register of Hist. Places

Want to use a US historic place in your WIP and need to see photos of it or learn about its history? Want to know when it’s open to the public? Would a map be helpful?

Check out the US National Park Service’s National Register of Historic Places, at
www.cr.nps.gov/nr/travel/

Among places & info available: Washington, DC; Baltimore, MD; Underground Railroad sites; Civil Rights Movement locations; Aviation; Charleston, SC; Lewis & Clark
Expedition... lots more. Each site link includes in its menu a “Learn More” link, which will take you to other resources, bibliographies, lesson plans, and many other interesting
bits of information.

Betty W01

RDJ: Flash Fiction Flash

If you’re into writing flash fiction, here’s a great resource for you - Flash Fiction Flash: The Newsletter for Flash Literature Writers, a monthly newsletter edited by Pamelyn Casto. She’s an expert in the field and has written a lot about it as well as sponsoring workshops. Her newsletter contains market and contest info, and links to interesting articles. To start subscribing, send a completely blank email to
[email protected]

Betty W01

RDJ: Office of Coastal Survey, US Govt.

Wrecks and obstructions, historical, navigational, and current maps and charts... if you have a question about the US coastal waters, you can probably get it answered here.

www.nauticalcharts.noaa.gov/

Betty W01

RDJ: Merton College, Oxford

It's the 4th of July in the US, the day we celebrate our country's freedom from Great Britain. However, most of us are still quite fond of our former mum and her chums and are often amused by their waggish sense of humor. In honor of that, check out the funny stuff on this website archived at Merton College, Oxford. Those of you who like ACSII art will especially like the Amobae page. My favorite section was the “Language and Its Abuse” page and “The Laws of Physics for Cartoons”.

paul.merton.ox.ac.uk/language/
http://paul.merton.ox.ac.uk/filmtv/cartoon-physics.html

8_14_1.gif
ind.gif

Betty W01

RDJ: Calorie Counter

Sitting on your butt for hours is an occupational hazard for most writers. This can mean weight gain and a butt too wide to fit in your office chair, if you're not careful.

How many calories are in the beverage you like to keep on your desk? Or the snacks you have stashed in your office drawers?

Go here and find out: www.caloriesperhour.com/

All you have to lose is a few minutes (and maybe some weight).

Bon Appetit!

Betty W01

RDJ: Opinion Journal - Peggy Noonan

A common piece of advice for writers is to read the work of other writers, especially those who write the way you wish you could. In my case, one writer whose style I'd love to emulate is Peggy Noonan. Noonan, a former presidential speech-writer, is one of the most articulate, interesting columnists in print today and even when you don't agree with what she says, you have to admire how she says it. Not to mention, admire how successsful she's been! She just came out with a book, too, and I can't wait to read it.

If you want to read some of her stuff, the archives are here:

www.opinionjournal.com/columnists/pnoonan/archive/

Status
Not open for further replies.